IGNORED

A8 users... Where do you live

I was born in Havana, Cuba but I left Cuba when I was 5 years old and lived in New Jersey for 23 years. Back in 1988, we moved to South Florida, first in Hialeah then Miami where we currently live. Sometimes I miss the change of seasons since there is no real winter to speak of in Miami. Some years it gets old but there are years where it is still warm. Right now it is the middle of December and the temperatures are still in th mid 70s so you can enjoy time outside.

I was born in Havana, Cuba but I left Cuba when I was 5 years old and lived in New Jersey for 23 years. Back in 1988, we moved to South Florida, first in Hialeah then Miami where we currently live. Sometimes I miss the change of seasons since there is no real winter to speak of in Miami. Some years it gets old but there are years where it is still warm. Right now it is the middle of December and the temperatures are still in the mid 70s so you can enjoy time outside.

In terms of my Atari computers, my first computer was an Atari 800XL which is still my favorite keyboard of all time. I would eventually buy a 130xe and later a 520ST with color monitor back in 1986. I eventually sold my 8 bit machines but I still have all my floppies from that era. Not sure how many of them still would work but I had someone test one of the floppies about 3 or 4 years ago for one of the disk based games and it worked!

I remember wanting to buy the ST since it ran PC and Mac Software thanks to a company run by David Small if I remember his name correctly. I never got the system since it seemed to require an actual chip from Apple to run and you would need to go to an Apple dealer to get the chip from a broken machine. Funny that I now use Mac machines to emulate the ST.

I would eventually sell the ST back in 1993 to a friend because I wanted to get a PC compatible since the support for the ST was next to nil. I keep using one version of a PC compatible through 2004 when I got my first Mac computer (an Apple 17 inch g4 PowerBook) and I have been using Macs exclusively since then. While I still have the PowerBook, there is an issue with the motherboard that causes the screen to be over saturated in purple. The cost to repair was like $800 so for that I decided to buy a 20 inch iMac instead. I still have that iMac but I also have a MacBook Pro with more memory.

In addition, my main machine as it were is my iPad2 which I am using right now to write this. I have gotten addicted to the instant on of this machine and the fact that I can take it anymore without having to pack it into a protective bag (I have a Belkin stand that folds away. It has grooves to keep the iPad still for when I am watching movies on Netflix). If not for needing the occasional use of flash, my computers would never get used.

I'm 40 and live in Miami, Florida USA. My first computer was an 800 with a tape drive about 1983. The store owner here talked me out of buying an 800xl saying there were compatability problems and bla bla. Any other users in the south florida area?

Yeah me. I live in Miami. There is another user as well that I met with but he has been busy with college / military so I have not heard from him in a while.