IGNORED

Overlord?

moycon

This is the first I've heard of this game : http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/781/781498p1.html

Check out the videos.

Reminds me a lot of Fable except it appears in this game your only choice is to be EVIL and you control a group of minions that do various tasks depending on the color. (Shades of Pikmin??) . Looks like another game to add to my list of must gets. Why hadn't I heard of this, it looks pretty far along!

Very cool.

• 1 month later...

Pikmin set in a Fablesque world best describes Overlord.

This has sweet looking graphics for sure....gameplay is almost identical to Pikmin.

The only difference I saw was that you also control your own character that can assist the pik...errr minions.

You can cast spells like firball and hit and use your weapon to kill living things or break objects.

All in all a high quality game, however gameplay may seem a tad stale if you've played Pikmin 1 and 2 through.

• 2 weeks later...

I played the demo yesterday. It didn't really impress me. It wasn't bad either. It just wasn't anything I'd pay $60 or $40 for. Maybe someday when it drops down to $20.

The demo made your minions feel like an extraneous bit which had been tacked on the game at a late date. I didn't like the game mechanics involving them, and felt they were getting in the way of an otherwise by the numbers adventure game.

The graphics were effective, but they were of a style I didn't really like. I'm kind of sick of evil being represented with poorly lit games. The camera was another issue. I thought it would have been better if you had to steer your minions with the button plus a joystick and the camera merely with the stick rather than the other way around, which is the way the game actually does it.

I found the voice acting irritating. I felt a lot of it went on overly long. I really didn't care about how much one guy thought pumpkins were out to kill him. I guess it adds color, but it just made me wish the characters would shut the hell up in this case.

Overall, I just had minor issues with the title. One of the people on my buddy list tried it out and told me how he was skipping everything else he planned to buy in order to rush out and get Overlord. I wish I could see what he got so excited about, but I can't. Until then, I'll just wait until it hits the bargain shelf.

Two days ago my wife and i are walking around the flea market and out of nowhere she informs me that she'll be buying Overlord this week. I'd vaguely heard about it, but didn't even know it was coming out this week. So, i guess i'll be playing it eventually, once she's done with it. I just hope it doesn't suck. :)

Well according to the IGN review this game has some bugs towards the end of the game that makes it virtually unplayable.

Seriously? Dammit....my wife went out and got it the day it was released. No telling how long it could take her to get to the end and see what's wrong though... Is it anything that could conceivably be fixed in a patch?

Well according to the IGN review this game has some bugs towards the end of the game that makes it virtually unplayable.

Seriously? Dammit....my wife went out and got it the day it was released. No telling how long it could take her to get to the end and see what's wrong though... Is it anything that could conceivably be fixed in a patch?

I'm sure if it's a game affecting issue and not an isolated case it'll be patched. I mention isolated case because I don't see people bitching about this on dedicated overlord forums (including the Live forums) something people would be doing if it was a problem, so it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Also they didn't say the game was "virtually unplayable" they said the bug kicked in at the end of the game.

Unbeatable maybe, but not unplayable.

They gave it a lower score because of the bug...I wonder if they will go back and rescore the game when the patch is out or if they find out that they were the only one that hit the bug.

Edited by moycon

Whoops I meant to say "virtually unbeatable". :lol:

Anyways if people are not complaining about it on the forums one has to wonder if IGN was not playing a retail version. :ponder:

I also forgot to mention that it seemed odd that the UK review was alot higher.

Edited by Shannon

The bug's in the retail edition, they're discussing it over at the CodeMasters forums. Seems like a lot of people have called it in so far, so i'd say it's only a matter of time until it's patched. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later, the delay on me getting to play this is starting to stretch out so long it'll be a $30 title before i summon my first minion. :)

The bug's in the retail edition, they're discussing it over at the CodeMasters forums.

Cool thanks, You can bet if people are complaining...it's legit.

I'm with you though, it looks like a decent game, but my backlog list is still pretty big...by the time I get this game, the bug will be corrected.