IGNORED

VGA02 Converter

puppetmark

I just bought one of these from e-bay. I will let everyone know how it goes. It comes with a BNC connector but I plan on replacing it with a DIN for the Atari.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Here is some more info:

http://avtechchina.com.cn:8080/demosite/VG...m#Specification

It is designed for LCD Monitors, but I will test it on CRTs as well.

I sure will. From the looks of it, and since it has no external controls, I think the board could be removed and installed directly into an 8 bit and powered via the motherboard. The power requirements are 5V 500ma, that should be fine. I have High hopes for this thing!

It was shipped today from Califarnia, so I should have it by next Wednesday.

I sure will. From the looks of it, and since it has no external controls, I think the board could be removed and installed directly into an 8 bit and powered via the motherboard. The power requirements are 5V 500ma, that should be fine. I have High hopes for this thing!

It was shipped today from Califarnia, so I should have it by next Wednesday.

Looks nice and compact. Please let us know how it performs.

Well, I got my VGA02 Converter yesterday. I was excited to see the thing was very compact. About the size of an XE cartridge. BUT frustratingly, its a no go! It won't synch properly to the Atari video. I tried 2 stock 130XEs, a super video XE, seuper video XEGM, 600xl, and a 2600. NOTHING! What happens is the converter displays a single frame from the 8 bit but won't display another. Its like it takes a snapshot and displays that on the VGA Monitor. Also, there is nothing to adjust because the VGA02 does everything automatically.

It works great when it gets a standard interlaced picture such as a vcr or dvd player, but as we have been discussing in another thread, the 8-bits are not interlaced. I guess I will stand by my earlier assumption, if you want to try a converter, make sure it has lots of controls!

that is a real shame.

are there any products out there that will work with the Atari?

This one From K World will work. My brother has one and I tested it with my super video 600xl. It should work will all the 8-bits. It takes a little time to get the adjustments right, but it actuall looks pretty good.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1427

I found this converter on e-bay, it might work better because it has a much wider Frequency input:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-AV-S-Video-to-VG...1QQcmdZViewItem

That looks excellent. I've not seen a better product than this around. Even covers low range. Has anyone got one of these yet? is it as good as it sounds? I'm about to do the S-video mod on my XE to check out my new tft tv, this would be great through then direct to vga i would think Edited by Tezz

I found the website with the instruction manual available for download:

http://www.allaboutadapters.com/vitoxgacofor.html

I would love to get one, but i just blew $50.00 on the last one. But so far its the only one I have found that guarantees compatiblilty with all 8-bit video devices!

I will most likely get one sooner or later.

Edited by puppetmark

But so far its the only one I have found that guarantees compatiblilty with all 8-bit video devices!
Yes, I was surprised to see that included in the list of features. It sure is written up well. Still though, as with everything, the proof will be when you can see it in action with your own eyes.. It certainly sounds like it should do the job.. Hopefully not another $50 down the drain this time :) I can sympathise with that, been there many times.. I'm down £350 last month with a major overscan "problem" on HDTV with Nvidia's totr 8800 card on my media centre :( that goes to show that great specs don't always lead to a great real life working product (it's a driver issue with that but still who knows if they will fix it)

But so far its the only one I have found that guarantees compatiblilty with all 8-bit video devices!
Yes, I was surprised to see that included in the list of features. It sure is written up well. Still though, as with everything, the proof will be when you can see it in action with your own eyes.. It certainly sounds like it should do the job.. Hopefully not another $50 down the drain this time :) I can sympathise with that, been there many times.. I'm down £350 last month with a major overscan "problem" on HDTV with Nvidia's totr 8800 card on my media centre :( that goes to show that great specs don't always lead to a great real life working product (it's a driver issue with that but still who knows if they will fix it)

I agree totally, the proof will be when I see it working. The $50.00 was a calculated risk, so that's how it goes. I learned a long time ago, especially when dealing with stuff like this....some you win, some you loose. Its all part of the fun

I generally don't run my classic machines through scan converters (I prefer the warm CRT glow of a 1084x :cool: ) but I do have an external scan converter that works quite well with the old machines - Cheese Video Box.

Of course that's not a lot of help since it's been discontinued, but I wonder if it's replacement works as well?