IGNORED

Overshadowed Atari Games?

Miles Tails Prower

What do you think are some of the Atari 2600 games that were good, but overshadowed?

I think the "adult" games by Wizard are very good, but hardly anyone bought them. (Well, Minors are kind of a given but...) I think the gameplay of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was better than Halloween, Halloween's music was better, but overall Texas Chainsaw Massacre was better. What do y'all think?

Solaris was/is a very impressive 2600 game that probably never received the same recognition as its prequel, Star Raiders. Solaris was a superior game in every way, though; the graphics were killer (relatively speaking), with a well-done pseudo-3D effect, and the action was faster and more furious. Definitely one of my favorites.

Some people like it and some don't, but Reactor is another of my personal old-school favorites. Based on my observations using MAME, the 2600 version is infinitely more fun to play than its arcade progenitor. I have some sentimental attachment to it, as it was one of my early games back in '85! ;)

Last but not least is.... Sneak 'N Peek! That's right, Sneak 'N Peek. Admit it, you all secretly love this game. You can't lie to me, I know you do. How could anyone not like the world's only hide & seek simulator? From the bizarre, blocky, featureless, alien-looking characters, to the massive house with only three rooms, to the off-key music, to the hyperspatial hiding places into which you can [literally] disappear, this game is an acid trip in cartridge format! I'm waiting for the next-gen remake with online deathmatch play! In fact, I'm certain that it will be the killer app that finally catapults the X-Box into the lead spot in the next-gen wars! Look for "Sneak 'N Peek: The Next Millennium" for X-Box behind a couch or a two-story house near you! :P

HEAVY***6***er

(Smokin' the crack pipe again)

Radar Lock, it's simply amazing, with excellent graphics, fast and furious action, enemy pieces that scatter all over the place, and passing clouds.

Dark Chambers is another one that people seem to dismiss as a poor man's Gauntlet. I think a few people will back me up when I say it's a h*ll of an action RPG. It's got everything you could hope for, exceptional graphics, a brilliant title screen, huge levels (and plenty of them), wicked power ups, varied enemies, and it's from 1988! A 2600 classic? YES!

Based on my observations using MAME, the 2600 version is infinitely more fun to play than its arcade progenitor

Hopefully you had the luxury of playing it with a trackball the way it was designed to be played. ;) The arcade version is pretty good actually, but apart from having the actual machine, it's hard to duplicate the gameplay fully 100%. Even with a trackball equipped 'arcade control', in Mame it's a little off quite honestly. :sad: However having said that, you're absolutely right in that the 2600 version is awesome. :)

My vote for overlooked 2600 game? It's a game I only recently started playing: Space Master X-7 !!! It's like a combination of Star Castle and the arcade game "Eliminator". The game gets lightning fast and has lots of action. I started playing it only this week for the first time ever and I love it!

MASH is pretty cool.....lots of different variants, plus the 'operation' screen.. Also Dragster.....I have a specific joystick for this game in particular. Lost many nights of sleep with a friend shootin for the best time. This was also the only real game that my dad would play and get into. Ya gotta love when the other guy makes the engine scream all the way -- only to blow at the last nanosec! Onr of my top 5 for sure!

Alrighty - I'm sure I'm gonna get ripped for this one - but, for an early, early game, I think minature golf is pretty darn fun. Maybe I'm just simple minded... alright, I am - but I dig that game - planning the angles like a pool table - timing the hits to bounce off the "bouncer". I dunno - I like it.