IGNORED

Astro Battles attempt two.

Gorf

I think it will be easier to do collision with this. I need to figure out how to put the sprites in RAM of

which I will need quite a lot of. 286 bytes just to cover the images in RAM. this is an MS kernal and

I dont know the limitations of this or the amount of RAM a 2600 game/cart can have.

Edited by Gorf

I think it will be easier to do collision with this. I need to figure out how to put the sprites in RAM of

which I will need quite a lot of. 286 bytes just to cover the images in RAM. this is an MS kernal and

I dont know the limitations of this or the amount of RAM a 2600 game/cart can have.

I haven't had time to play your game or look at the code yet, so I don't know how much RAM you'll actually need for the images, but the Atari 2600 has only 128 bytes of built-in RAM, and roughly 100 bytes of that is used by batari Basic for its "system variables," leaving you 26 bytes for your "user variables" (a through z).

With batari Basic v1.0 you have 256 bytes of RAM if you use the Superchip option, because it adds 128 bytes of expansion RAM to the built-in RAM-- but again, you don't have all 256 bytes available for your use, because batari Basic needs to use about 100 bytes for its own purposes.

If you use another bankswitching method, you can get 384 bytes of RAM (CBS RAM+, which adds 256 bytes of expansion RAM), or 2176 bytes of RAM (M-Network, which adds 2048 bytes or 2K of expansion RAM), or 32896 bytes of RAM (4A50, which adds 32768 bytes or 32K of expansion RAM), although batari Basic v1.0 doesn't offer those bankswitching options-- and if you create a game that uses either the CBS RAM+ or the M-Network bankswitching method, you probably won't be able to produce any actual cartridges of your game.

As for RAM players, they're pretty easy to implement. I'll write up a quick demo and post it.

Michael

Edited by SeaGtGruff