IGNORED

Help in Lynx Area

Phantom

Im contemplating getting into the Lynx since Im having so much fun with the GBA i just got, Im atari guy first and foremost so I was thinking I may have to get a lynx. What should I look for? How much should i spend on a system and the brief persusing Ive did had me realize there seems to be more than one model. Which Model is best and why? Anything I should avoid or look out for? Best games to start out with and any other helpful info is appreciated greatly. If you have one for sale , let me know that as well. Thanks for any and all info and help, take care, Ant :)

I suspect most people just aren't visiting the boards on a Saturday night... but here I am. ;)

Disclaimer: I sell Lynx systems and games on my Songbird site. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

The Lynx is a very cool and powerful system. If you like arcade ports, like Klax, STUN Runner, Rampart, Battlezone, Ms. Pac-man, etc., you will be very happy. The Lynx can also do some nice 3D (mostly pseudo-3D) games, like BattleWheels and Xybots. Slime World is a really cool game with lots of play modes. Shanghai is a great puzzle game, and Checkered Flag is a really engaging racing game. I have published some games such as Championship Rally and CyberVirus.

I personally prefer the Lynx II since it is smaller, has better battery life, and stereo sound on the headphone jack. New Lynx units are pretty hard to come by these days (I do have 2 or 3 left in stock), but used Lynxes aren't too hard to find if you prefer that route.

See my website below if interested in purchasing some games, or just to check out the games I have published for the system.

Thanks Very Much. I will check out your site. Rampart is one of my favs of all time so now Im really interested. If you come back to this thread, is the Lynx II all black or no? Is the II the newer version or is there an even newer version than the II? thans again. I cant promise I will buy from you but i will take a look see. depends on how much they are really. I suppose i would prefer to get a used one assuming it would be cheaper and then if I got hooked, Id for sure get a new one if any were available. Thanks abunch or your help. Take care, Ant

I suspect most people just aren't visiting the boards on a Saturday night... but here I am. ;)

Disclaimer: I sell Lynx systems and games on my Songbird site. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

The Lynx is a very cool and powerful system. If you like arcade ports, like Klax, STUN Runner, Rampart, Battlezone, Ms. Pac-man, etc., you will be very happy. The Lynx can also do some nice 3D (mostly pseudo-3D) games, like BattleWheels and Xybots. Slime World is a really cool game with lots of play modes. Shanghai is a great puzzle game, and Checkered Flag is a really engaging racing game. I have published some games such as Championship Rally and CyberVirus.

I personally prefer the Lynx II since it is smaller, has better battery life, and stereo sound on the headphone jack. New Lynx units are pretty hard to come by these days (I do have 2 or 3 left in stock), but used Lynxes aren't too hard to find if you prefer that route.

See my website below if interested in purchasing some games, or just to check out the games I have published for the system.

Thanks Very Much. I will check out your site. Rampart is one of my favs of all time so now Im really interested. If you come back to this thread, is the Lynx II all black or no? Is the II the newer version or is there an even newer version than the II? thans again. I cant promise I will buy from you but i will take a look see. depends on how much they are really. I suppose i would prefer to get a used one assuming it would be cheaper and then if I got hooked, Id for sure get a new one if any were available. Thanks abunch or your help. Take care, Ant

The Lynx II is all black / slate gray. The Lynx II is the newer version (as opposed to the Lynx I, which was a medium gray and often has the paint worn off on used models), and there are no other versions besides I and II. FYI, I sell both new and used Lynx II units on my site.

Rampart is an EXCELLENT game on the Lynx, and even supports comlynx (two players with two Lynxes and two copies of the game can "link up"). Xenophobe is another great game, better than the arcade in some ways.

I'll second that the Lynx II is a nifty little system - I've always been fond of the way the second version of the Lynx looks, plus it has a pretty powerful little amplifier driving that speaker in there, so if you want sound, you've got it! (unlike the original gameboy - too quiet for my tastes)

There are some excellent games there (once again, as mentioned by Songbird above) - I originally bought the Lynx for Rampage, but I've picked up many great titles since then. If you like the Mah Jong (sp?) type games, you'll probably like Shanghai (and it has great music as well). Slime World seems to be a pretty big favorite, too.

Plus, if you can get one of your friends to buy a Lynx, you can link them together with the ComLynx cable and have some multiplayer fun. :)

You really can't go wrong with the Lynx. There are some poor titles out for it (just like anything else), but it's a great handheld. It just has the look and feel that makes you think "this thing has some real power" - then again, that might just be what I thought when I shocked myself on a Lynx PCB when I was working on one (that thing really sucks down the power!)

Anyway, any Lynx owner can tell you a ton of great games for it - I hope you pick one up!

I'll second that the Lynx II is a nifty little system - I've always been fond of the way the second version of the Lynx looks, plus it has a pretty powerful little amplifier driving that speaker in there, so if you want sound, you've got it! (unlike the original gameboy - too quiet for my tastes)

There are some excellent games there (once again, as mentioned by Songbird above) - I originally bought the Lynx for Rampage, but I've picked up many great titles since then. If you like the Mah Jong (sp?) type games, you'll probably like Shanghai (and it has great music as well). Slime World seems to be a pretty big favorite, too.

Plus, if you can get one of your friends to buy a Lynx, you can link them together with the ComLynx cable and have some multiplayer fun. :)

You really can't go wrong with the Lynx. There are some poor titles out for it (just like anything else), but it's a great handheld. It just has the look and feel that makes you think "this thing has some real power" - then again, that might just be what I thought when I shocked myself on a Lynx PCB when I was working on one (that thing really sucks down the power!)

Anyway, any Lynx owner can tell you a ton of great games for it - I hope you pick one up!

Thanks Atariman, if you have any to avoid and any to buy game wise, please let me know when you have a minute because its just a matter of when really. Thanka again, Ant

Buy:

Raiden

Lemmings

Chips Challenge

Battlezone 2000

Loopz

Missile command/Asteroids

Don't buy:

I really can't recommend much. As I am trying to buy them all. However... I don't care for Batman all that well. And Baseball Heroes wasn't all taht great either.

Vindicator and Rolling Thunder sucks as well. <- kidding on the last part as they are vaporware

If you only have $10:

Klax

Chip's Challenge

Electrocop

Gates of Zendocon

Rampart

For another $20, add:

Checkered Flag

Scrapyard Dog

STUN Runner

If you can spend $100, add these:

Loopz (from Carl/Songbird; his version is complete)

Blue Lightning

Shanghai

Alpine Games

For a special birthday treat, consider:

Cybervirus

Lemmings (probably the best game on the system)

Don't even consider:

Ninja Gaiden III

Tournament Cyberball

NFL Football

Well, it looks like you've already got a few good buy/don't buy lists up, but here's my 2 cents -

I didn't see Rampage listed anywhere, but I suppose it depends on whether you liked the arcade game or not. I feel that it is a pretty good port (a few things aren't quite the same, but it was good enough for me).

Qix is another fine title that can keep you busy for quite some time. Crystal Mines (II?) is a fun puzzle game and Blue Lightning isn't too bad, either. I don't own Chip's Challenge, but if it is even remotely like the PC version, it would be a great choice.

I'd just say browse through the reviews of various Lynx games - figure out if the gameplay sounds like something you'd like, check out the screenshots to see if it looks interesting as well. If I had my Lynx with me, I'm sure I could list off more titles, but I can't think of too many more at the moment.

I would recommend staying away from Kung Food, though. :)

Quote from Carl in a recent thread:

Loopz was almost as-is but I did make a few minor alterations

So it seems possible that you have a original unaltered version(?)

Several vendors offered Loopz as a proto cart before Carl bought the rights to the game and released it as a Songbird title in 2005. My cart, a B&C card, states that the game is a beta release -- or something like that -- on the title screen. It's one of the only widely-available Lynx titles that lists that information.

Yep... there are a few that I could have listed, but I basically listed my top play list right now. Raiden, I can reguarlly get to Level 3 now... and that game is tough as hell.

I consider Raiden to be the hardest Lynx game, just besting Toki and the unpleasant Gordo 106 in the difficulty department.

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend that you get a copy of Desert Strike as well. It is a great version of the Sega game.... I think it is pretty much identical (I know there are differences... but not much). I haven't got far into the game, however; I would say that it ofers the exact same gameplay value as the Sega version. I still find myself flying around and then cursing because I got too far out of the reach of Fuel. I'm not even sure how many levels there are... but it is a great addition to the collection.

Quick note... if you are buying this on ebay:

I've found that you can generally get this game cheaper if you buy it in a lot of say 4 games or so, then buying it in an auction that just advertises this game. Most people jack up the prices when they see it pop up on ebay, but then they miss the small lots that have it in there. Keep looking... it should come fairly cheap.