IGNORED

Rechargeable batteries don't work.

Cheez27

I tried to put some rechargeable batteries (NiMh) in my Lynx I and found a few problems. The batteries were really hard to get in, and when I did get them in the Lynx wouldn't turn on. I know that the batteries were working. But they are 1.25V. Is the voltage too low? Need some help here.

I've used NiMH batteries in my Lynx without any problems. I agree that it can be a pretty tight fit, but I've never had the problem that you seem to be having.

What kind are you using? I've been using Energizer NiMHs in my handhelds for a pretty long time. (And have gotten more play time out of them than alkalines, too)

Are you sure all the batteries are in right? The lynx can run on 7 volt, as long as the amp or whatever is still high enough (which is the trade off on rechargables) Of course, being offbrand, it may just be a weaker battery (like buying heavy duty instead of alkaline in the non rechargable world)

Those are Digital brand batteries, and they are very reliable. They are definitely a better buy than the Energizers are, as they are cheaper and more durable. (I've used both brands.)

One of two things is causing your trouble (in the order of most probably to least probable):

1. The batteries are jammed in the compartment. To solve this, either remove the plastic jacket from the batteries or modify the battery compartment. I'd remove the jackets personally. Once the jam is cleared, the batteries will make connection.

2. One of the batteries is dead. Not run down...I mean the cell is no longer useable. You need a multimeter to find which one it is. Charge the entire set, then check to see which one reads in the millivolt range. Those batteries run about $6.50 for a four pack, so you might consider replacing the entire set if they are not new.

3. Actually, here's a third scenario: A set of rechargeable batteries may have vented inside the battery compartment. This is indicated by the presence of white or green dust on the battery terminals. The dust is actually dry acid, and it is harmful to certain parts of the Lynx (it will not harm the plastic or the metal connectors, though). Remove it. If you remove all of it and the offending batteries, it will not return. Removing the acid will restore full connections in the battery compartment, and will allow a new set of NiMH or NiCd cells to work.

Do you have a Lynx I or Lynx II?

Edited by shadow460

Okay, I fixed the problem. As it turns out, the positive ends of the rechargeable batteries are just a hair shorter than those of alkalines, and therefore weren't reaching the end of the terminal. I slid some aluminum foil in between the batteries and the metal they are supposed to connect to and it worked. Thanks for the help, anyway.

Glad it's working. I've had that problem in my mp3 player with Energizer brand batteries.

Holy crap, Shadow, you never stop bashing those Energizers, do ya? :)

I've had only positive experiences with my NiMH energizers (my minidisc player is using one at the moment, actually), so I guess I'll just have to fight you to the death to defend them. :D

Nah, just kidding - I just think that it's funny that we're always on opposite sides about which NiMH batteries to use. You wouldn't happen to like Pentium processors and Nvidia, would you? :ponder:

• 3 weeks later...