IGNORED

Ninja Golf and Water Ski

Miles Tails Prower

I just got these two games today and all I have to say about Water Ski is...

DONT GET IT!

Sorry, just had to let that out. Seriously, Water Ski is a very horrible game. (Well, It was made by Froggo, but still...)

Now Ninja Golf, thats a different story. Ninja Golf is pretty cool. But what was Froggo thinking when they made Water Ski? Were they drinking the Bong Water?

Ahh Water Ski and Ninja Golf. I don't like either game very much. Water Ski has bad graphics, is too hard to control, too difficult and too boring. It has decent collector value.

Ninja Golf - very good graphics, very bad sad, extremely repetitive after a while. Better than Water Ski but I didn't enjoy it as much as - say - Scrapyard Dog or Midnight Mutants. Nice graphics though!

To be honest, I also found that Froggo's TANK COMMAND was a sad little game too. The graphics looked fine in the old Atarian review, but it's kinda like the old Spider-Man cartoon: you go by the same landscape OVER and OVEr and OVER again.

Water Ski:

Yeah, it's not the best. And, it's hard as hell. But, taking into consideration that this was Froggo's first release, this isn't that bad. Working from a 3rd-party company on your first game means that the programmers don'y have the exposure to the tricks that the first-party developers know. And, since it was a small company, reverse-engineering to find out these tricks was probably not an option.

Personally, I can get through level 1, and a little into level 2, but no further. I think the game is a great challenge for anyone who is truly a gamer to beat. Some Froggoans actually thought the game was too easy upon release.

So, don't be too upset. Think of it like a homebrewer's first release-- "Pressure Gauge" for the 2600 (my homebrew) isn't graphically intensive, and is simple for a 2600 expert to reproduce. But, in those first weeks, that game was hell to write. But, if you take that into consideration, it makes the game not seem to suck as much (i.e. comparing Water Ski to Midnite Mutants is like comparin Pressure Gauge to Pitfall II).

Ninja Golf:

I find it fun because of the concept. The only small "gotcha" is the fact that you don't really putt the ball into a cup, but that's pretty minimal. Midnight Mutants is in a different class entirely, but I'd still say that Ninja Golf is pretty fun. Plus, it has an Easter Egg. And, it is beatable, which makes it better than those forever-looping games, in my opinion.

-John K. Harvey