IGNORED

Help Miyamoto Beat up Steven Colbert!

AtariJr

Oh yeah, I'll definitely vote for Miyamoto (and against Colbert). Gee Time, I never realized that you could be considered influential just by acting like a smug twit. Hey, maybe Jon Stewart should be on that list too!

JR

You must be a Republican. Besides, wasn't their "Person of the year" "the public" last year? And wasn't it Hitler back before WW2? I don't think they have the most credability at selecting this sort of thing anyway.

i think he was saying if colbert was on there Stewart should be too. Me and my roomate both agree that Jon is much better than steven.. and the fact that Steven is #1 and Jon isnt even on the list is pretty annoying. Steven was funny as a side bit on Jon's show. While funny, Colbert just seems "too much" or an overdose of something that used to be good and refreshing.

Oh yeah, I'll definitely vote for Miyamoto (and against Colbert). Gee Time, I never realized that you could be considered influential just by acting like a smug twit. Hey, maybe Jon Stewart should be on that list too!

JR

You must be a Republican.

And you must be presumptuous. I used to lean to the right back when I was young and foolish, but nearly eight years of George W. Douche cured me of that.

Regardless of my political persuasion, I still think that Stewart and Colbert can be unbearably smug... especially Jon Stewart with his smarmy "everybody sucks but me!" attitude. And Colbert's O'Reilly impression was a one-trick pony which has gotten less and less funny with each passing day.

JR

JR

You must be a Republican.

And you must be presumptuous. I used to lean to the right back when I was young and foolish, but nearly eight years of George W. Douche cured me of that.

not to make this a political thread, but while I disagreed with the Jon comments, this part just make me laugh so hard cause its so true.

*clicks link*

Wow. That might be the most terrible picture i've ever seen, of anyone.

Also:

PRO: Most successful game designer, creator of Super Mario, Donkey Kong and The Legend of Zelda, whose new platform, the Wii, is currently the top-selling game console.

What the hell? This makes it sound like he singlehandedly runs Nintendo and invented the Wii in his garage. Influental? Maybe if this were a list for any year between 1985-1990, yeah. But isn't the "OMG rescue the princess!" formula getting a little old now? And Donkey Kong....i'm sorry, but sometimes he throws barrels, and sometimes he collects bananas. What he never does is anything particularly earth-shattering.

I fail to see how someone who is employed by, not runs, a company enjoying its first successful console launch in nearly a decade and a half can be considered the most influential anything.

Don't get me wrong here, i heart Nintendo and alla that, but i'm not entirely sure what the pedestal you kids have this guy on is built from.

And Donkey Kong....i'm sorry, but sometimes he throws barrels, and sometimes he collects bananas. What he never does is anything particularly earth-shattering.

If you don't love Donkey Kong, that's your problem, not Donkey Kong's. Donkey Kong and DK Jr. are the greatest arcade games of all time that don't start with G. That's a fact, and if you don't agree, you are wrong. The Donkey Kong Gameboy game is probably one of the top ten best handheld games of all time.

Then Rare got in charge of the franchise for awhile and took a big shit all over it, with their crappy graphics over gameplay philosophy. However, the recent rhythm games are superb, easily some of the best arcade action of last generation.

Overall a very, very strong franchis that got sidetracked for a bit when a group of crappy, over-rated developers were given the reins.

Edited by Atarifever

Oh, Donkey Kong is a fine arcade game. You'll get no argument from me there. But i fail to see how it helps Miyamoto's position as Time's most influential person today. "Dear god, this man seems to have invented a barrel throwing gorilla a quarter century ago! First prize!"

He's an employee who heads up development teams for a few franchises for one developer. There are many like him. While he might have been head of the pack 20 years ago, he's certainly not today. And giving him credit for the Wii because he's Nintendo's lovable figurehead to their American fanboys, well...that's a bit much.

And Donkey Kong....i'm sorry, but sometimes he throws barrels, and sometimes he collects bananas. What he never does is anything particularly earth-shattering.

If you don't love Donkey Kong, that's your problem, not Donkey Kong's. Donkey Kong and DK Jr. are the greatest arcade games of all time that don't start with G. That's a fact, and if you don't agree, you are wrong. The Donkey Kong Gameboy game is probably one of the top ten best handheld games of all time.

Then Rare got in charge of the franchise for awhile and took a big shit all over it, with their crappy graphics over gameplay philosophy. However, the recent rhythm games are superb, easily some of the best arcade action of last generation.

Overall a very, very strong franchis that got sidetracked for a bit when a group of crappy, over-rated developers were given the reins.

Thanks for this post. Because of it, I finally checked out the original Donkey Kong game for the GB. That's a cool game. Now I understand the comparisons to Mario vs. Donkey Kong. Now I need to find a complete copy for my collection and playing pleasures!

And Scumdogg, I understand what you are saying, and you are wrong. By your line of logic, Ralph Baer and Nolan Bushnell should no longer be considered important people because they are no longer the major players in the industry that they once were. Well, not only did Miyamoto create some of the most successful, popular, and recognizable video games and characters of all time, but he is STILL working to create new games to this day. Obviously as the market has expanded, his importance to it in the immediate sense has diminished, but one has to look at the big picture. Mario is probably the most recognizable game character of all time. Nintendo is still a major player in the video games industry after over 20 years, and Miyamoto is still working there, helping to create content for the DS and the Wii, both of which seem to be the "it" thing to have right now among the drooling masses of casual gamers. He has been able to stay current with the technology and market demands while most other game designers from his generation are long gone. I am not particularly interested in Nintendo's products and even I readily recognize this.

Chris

And Scumdogg, I understand what you are saying, and you are wrong. By your line of logic, Ralph Baer and Nolan Bushnell should no longer be considered important people because they are no longer the major players in the industry that they once were. Well, not only did Miyamoto create some of the most successful, popular, and recognizable video games and characters of all time, but he is STILL working to create new games to this day. Obviously as the market has expanded, his importance to it in the immediate sense has diminished, but one has to look at the big picture. Mario is probably the most recognizable game character of all time. Nintendo is still a major player in the video games industry after over 20 years, and Miyamoto is still working there, helping to create content for the DS and the Wii, both of which seem to be the "it" thing to have right now among the drooling masses of casual gamers. He has been able to stay current with the technology and market demands while most other game designers from his generation are long gone. I am not particularly interested in Nintendo's products and even I readily recognize this.

Chris

So why aren't Bushnell and Baer on the list, if we're going by contributions made decades ago? Also, those two men spawned an industry, Miyamoto simply contributed beloved icons to said industry. And, with varying degrees of success, at least Nolan Bushnell has led an extremely well rounded life. What would Miyamoto do if one day Nintendo was like "Yeah....we're not gonna make Mario games anymore, people are tired of rescuing the Princess."? Oh wait, i guess he invented the Wii, he'd be alright. :)

I DO enjoy Nintendo's products, and perhaps that's why i have the opinions i do. Sure, i'll pick up and play the new Mario and Zelda games when they come out, but i'd be the first to admit that in either franchise, i've played the same damn game ten times over by now.

Edited by Scumdogg

Chris

So why aren't Bushnell and Baer on the list, if we're going by contributions made decades ago? Also, those two men spawned an industry, Miyamoto simply contributed beloved icons to said industry. And, with varying degrees of success, at least Nolan Bushnell has led an extremely well rounded life. What would Miyamoto do if one day Nintendo was like "Yeah....we're not gonna make Mario games anymore, people are tired of rescuing the Princess."? Oh wait, i guess he invented the Wii, he'd be alright. :)

I DO enjoy Nintendo's products, and perhaps that's why i have the opinions i do. Sure, i'll pick up and play the new Mario and Zelda games when they come out, but i'd be the first to admit that in either franchise, i've played the same damn game ten times over by now.

Because Baer and Bushnell are no longer a part of the industry. Miyamoto is still making best-selling games today. How long did New Super Mario Bros. sit on top of the DS NPD chart? (I am assuming he worked on it.) Twilight Princess (again, assuming he worked on it) was the killer app for the Wii's launch. In any case, he is directly involved in the success of both the DS and the Wii, which are both turning Nintendo into the Apple Computer of video game companies (and I mean that in a good way). Right now Nintendo is spreading gaming beyond the borders of the traditional gamer. The DS has already redefined handheld gaming, and depending on how the Wii works out once the hype dies, it may set the new standard for casual gaming among those who are traditionally non-gamers. Miyamoto is the face of Nintendo, so it stands to reason that he would be considered for recognition like this from Time.

Sorry that this is making me come off like a fanboy (whch I promise I am not).

Chris

Did you have to edit your post from where you called Scumdogg a "troll" for not agreeing with your opinion?

Did you have to edit your post from where you called Scumdogg a "troll" for not agreeing with your opinion?

*wipes away a single tear*

If this is in fact the case, i'm glad i didn't see it. Totally would've ruined my day. :roll:

If this is in fact the case, i'm glad i didn't see it. Totally would've ruined my day. :roll:

That's pretty much his standard response to anyone who has a different opinion than him. "you're a Troll :x " "troll :x "

That's pretty much his standard response to anyone who has a different opinion than him. "you're a Troll :x " "troll :x "

No, I didn't have to do that (at last, I don't think I did, I remove a lot of stuff I think better of upon reading it again, and if I had I obviously would have thought it the wrong thing to say or it would still be there you frigging moron). Wow, this is the stupidest thing you have ever said, and that's saying a lot. I gave a good, I thought anger free, response and get ragged on for fixing up my grammar.

Here's a non standard response: fuck off shithead. I left you to your little superfriends PS3 forum, so now you chase me here to imagine that I'm picking on other people. With any luck I won't be banned for imaginary transgressions. As usual, you will coast by, unmoderated. Grow up, you fuckwit child.

EDIT LOG FOR BILL: I just changed something that made it sound like Scumdog was at fault, even though it wasn't my intention.

EDIT LOG 2 FOR BILL: I wanted to add again that you're a fuckwit.

Edited by Atarifever

No, I didn't have to do that (at last, I don't think I did, I remove a lot of stuff I think better of upon reading it again, and if I had I obviously would have thought it the wrong thing to say or it would still be there you frigging moron). Wow, this is the stupidest thing you have ever said, and that's saying a lot. I gave a good, I thought anger free, response and get ragged on for fixing up my grammar.

Here's a non standard response: fuck off shithead. I left you to your little superfriends PS3 forum, so now you chase me here to imagine that I'm picking on other people. With any luck I won't be banned for imaginary transgressions. As usual, you will coast by, unmoderated. Grow up, you fuckwit child.

EDIT LOG FOR BILL: I just changed something that made it sound like Scumdog was at fault, even though it wasn't my intention.

EDIT LOG 2 FOR BILL: I wanted to add again that you're a fuckwit.

Are you; how can I say this delicately, a homeschooled child by any chance? You obviously aren't equipped to handle ANY social interaction, even over the internet. Anyone with a different opinion is too much for your fragile mind to handle and sets you off, as it has once again. I suggest maybe discussing a more neutral topic like flowers or beanie babies. Maybe one day you can work your way up to being able to discuss video games online without having a temper tantrum/breakdown. Good luck!

Your friend,

Bill Brasky

Bill, I'll try to say this nicely. Here's the order of events here:

I wrote a reply defending the Donkey Kong games I like, and putting down the ones I didn't

I did not use the term troll or fanboy to do it

Scumdog made a reply that I thought was intelligent, to the point I felt there was nothing left for me to add, so I asumed that was the end of that little exchange. Scumdog did not seem like he was angry over the exchange at all.

The next day you came in here and TWICE made posts tryng to start a fight. Once you ask if I edited out something calling Scumdog a troll, and then you made fun of me for calling people trolls; both of these things happened without me

A) Calling anyone a troll

B) Talking to you

Geez Bill, not to give into your baiting here, but perhaps you think my standard reply is that people are trolls, because my standard reply to YOU is that YOU specifically are a troll. This exchange certainly seems to support that idea. I mean, what do you really think you've added here by trying to make me fight with Scumdog and you? I don't think it's exactly elevated the overall thread; we're all just lucky Scumdog didn't bother to insult me in return for your imagined first attack, as then there'd be a three way fight over absolutely nothing. I mean qite literally, you have started a fight over the actual prescence of nothing.

Edited by Atarifever