IGNORED

So...you can turn the 7800 into an 8-bit computer?!

ataridave

The keyboard uses many of the same peripherals but the software is completly different. Plus as far as I know there is no DOS so until one is written you couldn't use the drives. The only hardware you could use are the printers and the cassette drives and possible the 300 baud modem since I seem to recall there was a telecommunication program written.

Allan

You could turn the 7800 into a 8bit computer if the keyboard was available and basic/DOS or some such cart was available. You can't turn it into an Atari 8 bit computer (i.e. XEGS, 800XL) as they are very different.

Edited by remowilliams

You could turn the 7800 into a 8bit computer if the keyboard was available and basic/DOS or some such cart was available. You can't turn it into an Atari 8 bit computer (i.e. XEGS, 800XL) as they are very different.

Gotcha!

@AtariFever, where'd you get that shirt (or at least that what it looks like) that you have in your avatar? Very cool! :thumbsup:

@AtariFever, where'd you get that shirt (or at least that what it looks like) that you have in your avatar? Very cool! :thumbsup:

I have the shirt (and so do some other people here who have asked me the same qustion before). Get it, as well as a pile of incredible Namco stuff at Club Namco.

Try to resist the urge to buy something; I dare you.

Edited by Atarifever

I have the shirt (and so do some other people here who have asked me the same qustion before). Get it, as well as a pile of incredible Namco stuff at Club Namco.

Try to resist the urge to buy something; I dare you.

wow, some really nice stuff there :love:

• 1 month later...
wouldn't the keyboard require 2 joystick leads to make use of the joystick ports 8-bit bus?

Well the keyboard add-on is just the keyboard and the SIO I/O (Plus the Tape drive I/O). I believe everything else is through the 7800.

Allan

Well I can say this much, I know the 7800 and the A8 can be interfaced to talk to each other and that is a fact. And no I won't tell how or what is involved nor how I know this as I would be in deep shit if I did so.

Is this some sort of secret project you're not telling us about? C'mon now... ;)

I want to telnet with my 7800!!!!

(Just give me a term program and a serial port and I will direct it here and the Atari IRc chats!!)

I have ways of making this happen. :) BBS'ing is my hobby.