IGNORED

Atari STacy - can i get one inexpensively

Hi everyone,

I have been considering obtaining an Atari STacy but I wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to get one inexpensively. I checked B & C computervisons and the 4MB version version was listed as $750. That is just way too much money for something that is old and no longer supported.

Does anyone know someone who stills sells them inexpensively or am I out of luck?

May I ask why you want a STacy? If it's because you want to own a cool piece of Atari history I can understand your desire, but if you want to actually run Atari ST software and use it as a portable, I wouldn't get one. Instead, I'd buy a cheap, used PC laptop with a color screen and run the Steem Engine emulator full-screen. I did this on my laptop and it's very eery, as it seems like you have a modern and fast Atari ST laptop, with a 1024x768 color screen. Very cool!

..Al

May I ask why you want a STacy?  If it's because you want to own a cool piece of Atari history I can understand your desire, but if you want to actually run Atari ST software and use it as a portable, I wouldn't get one.  Instead, I'd buy a cheap, used PC laptop with a color screen and run the Steem Engine emulator full-screen.  I did this on my laptop and it's very eery, as it seems like you have a modern and fast Atari ST laptop, with a 1024x768 color screen.  Very cool!

..Al

I was trying to obtain one so that I could also use it to emulate the Macintosh of that era with Spectre GCR. I like your idea though. I could just get SOFTMAC from Darek Mihocka's site and use that with the laptop. I would only need the MAC BIOS rom image and OS 8.1 and I would be emulating a more current Mac model.

Thanks again for your suggestion.