IGNORED

River Raid Tanks Discovered!

Albert

Ok, since nobody reacted to my post above, I think it's time to clearly confess: I was just kidding! :D

I hacked the tanks into River Raid (like many of your already supposed). :)

There never where any tanks in River Raid !

When somebody started asking for them, I thought this could start some different kind of fun (did it?), if I stated that they are there. Then some wanted to see some evidence and so I made a hacked version. I hope you can forgive me. :)

But the positive result is also, that I found some space to add working balloons into the game. Albert will post that hack quite soon, I hope.

@Albert: Could you please add the word HOAX to the topic?

I was thinking there might be something up with this. How could such a big bug get through playtesting? You'd have thought that Carol would have noticed that right away. But then again you always seem to find hidden things so I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Tempest

Grrrr! I've been busting my butt trying to get to level 1024 all this time for NOTHING! Curse you Thomas! May moycon post yet another "What might have been" thread in your name!!!! :x :x :x :x :D

(I think you owe me a FREE copy of Thrust for putting me through that! ;) :) )

Okay Thomas, funny joke...

But, Carol DID respond:

I don't recall putting tanks in Atari 2600 River Raid. I put tanks in the Atari 800 and 5200 versions. I looked in my attic and found my source code printout for 2600 River Raid. One of the postings on the AtariAge forum said that the tank graphics were at $0ED1-$0EE6. My printout starts at $F000. Assuming the corresponding location would be $FED1-$FEE6, I looked there. The label at that point says that it's in the middle of some explosion graphics.

Regarding the AtariAge discussion on the random number generator in River Raid, it's a "pseudo-random number generator". It always starts with the same seed, so the "random" numbers are the same each time you play, thus the levels are the same each time. Since more than one random number is used per level, how long it takes to repeat a level depends on whether the random number generator starts to repeat at the same place within a level that it originally started at. Also, there are the two types of levels that alternate, and additional code to make the levels get progressively more difficult up to a certain level (fewer fuel tanks, for example). I never tried to figure out when the levels would start to repeat.

But, Carol DID respond:

I don't recall putting tanks in Atari 2600 River Raid. I put tanks in the Atari 800 and 5200 versions. I looked in my attic and found my source code printout for 2600 River Raid.

Cool, if we could get a copy of that printout and make it electronically available, that would be great!

Carol said that the source code is copyright Activision and she couldn't release it without permission.  So unless anyone has the ear of an Activision insider (Ken, you listening?), I doubt it's going to happen.

I have contacted Ken about this some days ago, but I didn't got a reply yet. Perhaps he is currently very busy or on summer holidays. :)