IGNORED

oddball favorites?

bomberpunk

what are some of your favorite 2600 titles that aren't quite that popular?

mine are:

Armor Ambush (i always liked it more than Combat)

Firefighter (i love watching that convulsing person in the window)

Night Driver (i used to run through the easy/medium levels flawlessly).

Riddle Of The Sphinx (the first game that i figured out everything on my own and even made my own walkthrough manual with crayons & colored pencils at a very young age)

Space Attack (because it's fun as hell, those SFX rock, and you can actually win)

i'm sure there's more but those stand out in my mind right now

ooh, and Kabobber. it may seem like there's no strategy other than pressing Right, Right, Right, Right, Right... but each formation has its ups & downs.

Kabobber is pretty awesome. I finally figured out the pattern and maxxed the score. Sweet!

Video Olympics

Homerun

Air-Sea Battle

Star Ship

Miniature Golf

Street Racer

Pac-Man

Name This Game

As you can see, I'm partial to the early VCS titles.

I don't know Night Driver and Alien weren't popular...in any case, I dig those too.

Here's 3 oddballs I love and the reasons:

Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes: Great "fun because it's hard and frantic" shooter

Adventures Of Tron: best 2600 platform game.

Armor Ambush: better than Combat for strategic tank warfare!

When I got back into Atari, a few years ago, it was really cool to find all these games I never had as a kid, but that were so fun!!

I like the 2600 version of Tutankham. I also like Spacemaster X-7 and Ram It!

Tempest

I have fond memories of Space Jockey, mostly because it was the first new $10 game I ever saw! I remember they sold them at the drug store (Perry Drugs maybe?) and begged my mom to buy it. It's actually not that bad of a game either!

Seconded on Spacemaster X-7. This is a great one that hardly ever gets mentioned. If it were more common, it would beat out many of the 2600's well-known great games people tend to put in their top ten lists.

Bump 'n' Jump. I guess it's not really an oddball game, but you don't hear much about the 2600 version. Addictive gameplay.

Time Pilot. I enjoy this one quite a bit. If you like the plane levels in Combat, this is probably the best substitute on the 2600 for when you can't find a 2nd player.

Encounter at L5. The game CAN get kind of dull, but the control scheme is unique enought that it keeps pulling me back for a few rounds.

I like topics like this. Sometimes they'll give me the nudge I need to give a 2nd chance to a title that's been collecting dust.

Riddle Of The Sphinx (the first game that i figured out everything on my own and even made my own walkthrough manual with crayons & colored pencils at a very young age)

Armor Ambush is the 2600 port of the INTV's Armor Battle, right? I like that one a lot. Definitely far superior to Combat.

I liked Riddle of the Sphinx quite a bit back in the day. I was always playing it over at a friend's house, but could never score the cartridge for myself. Nowadays, I have the cartridge, but I've forgotten how to play, and just don't have the get up and go necessary to relearn it. :(

Anyway, I really like playing the following games:

Pac-Man = I used to play this game ALL the damn time. It isn't bad at all.

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator = When my 5200 controllers died in the early 90s, a friend revealed he had the 2600 version of this game. I started playing it to get my Star Trek videogame fix. It plays subtly different and faster than the 5200 version, so I ended up liking both.

SpaceChase = I don't know why. I just liked this game as a kid. I didn't have it, but someone I knew did, and I played it whenever I went to their house. I guess I thought the scrolling background was neat. Plus, it was somewhat similar to the very first arcade game I ever got addicted to: Space Encounters.

Planet Patrol = Yet another game a friend had and I played every chance I got. I liked the day/night cycle of the game (even though the night missions sucked) and landing in between levels.

Gangster Alley = I just had a soft spot in my heart for Spectravideo, I guess. I guess I like it because of the general reflex feel of Missile Command, another favorite.

what are some of your favorite 2600 titles that aren't quite that popular?

mine are:

Firefighter (i love watching that convulsing person in the window)

Night Driver (i used to run through the easy/medium levels flawlessly).

Space Attack (because it's fun as hell, those SFX rock, and you can actually win)

i'm sure there's more but those stand out in my mind right now

Space Attack, Demons to Diamonds... Fantastic Voyage, and Adven-of-Tron,

I really like all these too.

Some of my fav. unpopular/oddball games,

(in no specific order)

E.T. - Love the random challenge, no problems with the Holes/Wells.

Lock N' Chase - Mattel's 2600 one player titles have a soft spot with me.

Porky's - I love blowing up the Bar, and running from the big Ballbricker.

Zaxxon - This was and is fun to me (better then expected).

Ghostbusters - I respect the work that went into it, kinda fun game.

Swordquest Earthworld - Never finished it, but like it anyway.

Dark Cavern - This game used to be one of my top favs. Still pretty good now.

Spikes Peak - Chaos can be great.