IGNORED

replacing tri foot domes

opeygon

I replaced the tri foot domes in one of my controllers last night (first time ever doing this). The controller I worked on still worked properly before, but was very loose and didn't make that popping sound I love so much.

After replacing the domes and cleaning it up a bit, I put the controller back together. I was glad to see that the joystick was much tighter and more responsive now, however, I still don't get that popping sound when I move the joystick. I get it now with the button, but not the joystick.

I suspect that I didn't line up the domes exactly right with the base of the plastic joystick piece, and need to re adjust either the domes or the position of the board ( before anybody asks, yes the domes are oriented correctly, i.e. on their "feet").

Can anybody tell me if I'm on the right track?

If so, is there any technique anybody can share as to how I can properly align the domes and/or board with the bumps on the bottom of the plastic joystick piece during re-assembly?

Any help would be appriciated

I've found that a few things affect how strong the "clicking" of the domes can be felt or heard. First is the domes themselves; some are just made stiffer than others. For example, in 3rd-party sticks like the Pointmaster, you can find some very "clicky" domes. Also, the domes often go soft by geting a crack between two of the legs (or in the semicircular cutout of the 3/4 moon dome style) to the center. You can often only see this crack while the dome is pressed down. Finally, the pressure ring at the bottom of the joystick handle core must be very stiff (look for cracks where the ring attaches to the core, while pressing each of the directional protrusions).

Also, to help the domes stay in place, I slice a little "X" in the tape covering the central depression of the domes that have one -- this allows the bump on the bottom of the pressure ring to fit into the depression properly and tends to prevent the dome from wandering if the adhesive is not strong enough to hold it in position.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Finally, the pressure ring at the bottom of the joystick handle core must be very stiff (look for cracks where the ring attaches to the core, while pressing each of the directional protrusions

Hmm... never thought of that. have to check it out

Also, to help the domes stay in place, I slice a little "X" in the tape covering the central depression of the domes that have one -- this allows the bump on the bottom of the pressure ring to fit into the depression properly and tends to prevent the dome from wandering if the adhesive is not strong enough to hold it in position.

good idea. thanks a million