IGNORED

Taito Arcade -> Atari 2600 port IV

Cybergoth

Taito Arcade -> Atari 2600 port IV  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Taito Arcades should be ported to the 2600?

• Strike Bowling
    • The Pit
    • Time Tunnel
    • Wild Western
    • Zoo Keeper
    • Bio Attack
    • Birdie King 2
    • Chack'n'Pop
    • Elevator Action
    • Fighting Roller

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

You could actually do a really good 2600 The Pit if you broke the single screen up into a grid of six or so connected screens, like Hero does. Most of the screens would be rather Dig-Dug-esque, but then you'd have special screens with their own optimized kernels for the gem collection and pit sections. The tank blasting away at your ship could easily be relegated to a constant element at the top of the screen.

That's a pretty good idea!

Another option might be block-scrolling, with something like Andrews or supercats Boulder Dash engines. After all, The Pit might just be the source of inspiration for Boulder Dash

Just a quick stab at Zookeeper, with the original shown for comparison.

Some time ago I had some discussion regarding Zoo Keeper in my blog, based on mockups from moycon:

Zoo Keeper 2600

Basically I'm still waiting for a good idea regarding it. I guess you'd have to do some radical Solar Fox like stunt to make the first screen work ;)

You could actually do a really good 2600 The Pit if you broke the single screen up into a grid of six or so connected screens, like Hero does. Most of the screens would be rather Dig-Dug-esque, but then you'd have special screens with their own optimized kernels for the gem collection and pit sections. The tank blasting away at your ship could easily be relegated to a constant element at the top of the screen.

That's a pretty good idea!

Agreed - that's a fantastic idea.

Some time ago I had some discussion regarding Zoo Keeper in my blog, based on mockups from moycon:

Zoo Keeper 2600

Basically I'm still waiting for a good idea regarding it. I guess you'd have to do some radical Solar Fox like stunt to make the first screen work ;)

I just had an idea of a compromise that might help the 1st screen of Zoo Keeper along:

Rather than the cage opening on all four sides, and the escaped animals going completely around the outside, what if the side walls were static but the top and bottom opened up and animals only escaped through the top/bottom and, once escaped, stayed on the top or bottom.

Then you could use three subkernels:

-the top, where you displayed the Zoo Keeper and animals

-the middle, where you displayed only the animals inside the cage and the Zoo Keeper on the outside

-the bottom; same as the top

post-6060-1178897627_thumb.png

It would cut down on the flicker somewhat and you could more easily use doubled/tripled sprites inside the cage (or outside as well, maybe).

It's a pretty substantial compromise of the original gameplay, but it just might work. ;)