IGNORED

Play NTSC on a PAL tv...

chubsta

OK, i have just bought a heavy-sixer off Ebay from the US. I am in the UK and play my games on a 40" LCD HD system, which has no problem playing ntsc dvds, import 360/wii games etc at 60hz.

I am unsure as to what connectionss the vcs will have when it arrives, but if possible i would like to be able to play it on this tv. i have read about doing an s-video/composit mod, which seems like it gives much better picture quality, but does anyone think ii will be able to play the vcs 'out of the box'?

Buying the unit was mainly to get a peice of gaming history so if i cant play it there is no real problem as i will just display it, but it would be nice to be able to collect and use some off the rarer ntsc carts...

sorry this iss a basic question, but im pretty non-technical (should have seen the state of my wii when i finished trying to mod it :ponder:

If your TV handles NTSC DVDs and such OK, it shouldn't have a problem with an Atari. However, I've heard that some LCDs can be picky when it comes to connectiong an old console to it (probably doesn't like 240/288p.)

But either way PAL/NTSC capable displays are common so you shoudn't have a problem finding somewhere to hook it up.

To use it "out of the box", your TV will need to be able to accept NTSC signals via the RF input. Some do, some don't.

Another possibility is to connect the Atari to the TV via a VCR that accepts NTSC RF input. Several Panasonic models do this, and it's possible that others do too.

Otherwise, you're looking at some kind of video mod.

• 1 month later...

on a 40" TV, you got to do a video mod, pref s-video or the picture will be really crappy, thats even if you can get an NTSC picture on rf.

try www.8bitdomain.com if you want a kit to mod the heavy.

nope, lots of Atari's here, but the 5200 never got a PAL release.

Plus with problems of compatibility with some 7800 games on PAL systems, it's better IMO to have a moded NTSC 7800.

And PAL 2600 heavy sixers are like finding rocking horse shit

Edited by mimo