IGNORED

Double Dragon 7800 ROM

Adrian M

I can't seem to get the Double Dragon ROM provided on this website to work with under the 7800 under MESS.

My MESS setup is correct and it will play 98% of the roms I have, some will freeze upon startup at the Atari logo, but Double Dragon won't work at all. Does anyone have a better version of the DD rom or are there special settings I need to set to get it working under MESS?

Adrian,

Surprise...I dumped that rom actually...and the reason it doesn't work is the same reason none of the Activision 7800 games work. IE in other words...special bankswitching that Activision used simply hasn't been supported by the Emus. And since as you stated 90%+ of the rest of games now work...so no body seems to be in a real push to get those last remaining 10% working.

As for why there is a rom and yet no support...is simple. In order to create support for games....you have to have access to the rom code. The Double Dragon and Rampage roms I believe are still in raw bin format. That is, even if they were supported (Which they aren't), they still need a special header added to them to make them work in MESS.

hope that answers your question?

I share your pain, Adrian. I went and got MESS specifically to play 7800 Double Dragon, and when it wouldn't work, I screamed and yelled and threw stuff out the window. 'Course, I couldn't get any of the other games to work either, so I thought it was just me.

I share your pain, Adrian. I went and got MESS specifically to play 7800 Double Dragon, and when it wouldn't work, I screamed and yelled and threw stuff out the window. 'Course, I couldn't get any of the other games to work either, so I thought it was just me.

It can be a bit of a pain to set up initially (the proper naming of the directories is VERY important), but I figured it out after some trial and error. If you need a working copy of MESS with a good assortment of 7800 ROMS already set up, let me know and I can email you a copy of my working version. It will be a 1.5MB attachment, so keep that in mind.

Adrian,

Surprise...I dumped that rom actually...and the reason it doesn't work is the same reason none of the Activision 7800 games work.  IE in other words...special bankswitching that Activision used simply hasn't been supported by the Emus.  And since as you stated 90%+ of the rest of games now work...so no body seems to be in a real push to get those last remaining 10% working.

As for why there is a rom and yet no support...is simple.  In order to create support for games....you have to have access to the rom code.  The Double Dragon and Rampage roms I believe are still in raw bin format.  That is, even if they were supported (Which they aren't), they still need a special header added to them to make them work in MESS.

hope that answers your question?

Oh well. I'll just wait until MESS is updated with the proper support. Thanks for the info.