IGNORED

Hooking a 7800 to a VGA monitor?

Gregory DG

What would be the best way to do this, if at all possible? This is assuming a standard, non-modified 7800 with the old switchbox style gizmo...

I know there are composite to vga boxes (the cheapest one I've found is here) but then I'd have to convert the 7800 to composite A/V...

Any suggestions?

You may want to consider one of Samsung multimode LCD displays, I have a 15" display and it has VGA, Svideo, Composite and RF input, works VERY well with my 7800, flashback 2 and Atari 800 computer.

Curt

What would be the best way to do this, if at all possible? This is assuming a standard, non-modified 7800 with the old switchbox style gizmo...

I know there are composite to vga boxes (the cheapest one I've found is here) but then I'd have to convert the 7800 to composite A/V...

Any suggestions?

Samsung makes awesome displays. I have a 19" SyncMaster for the computers and a 40" 1080p HDTV for the living room. Both have a whole smörgåsbord of connectors, letting me attach just about anything capable of producing video.

My only complaint is with the SyncMaster: When running older game systems off it, the monitor "intelligently" switches to a "240p" mode, reducing the video resolution. This actually makes the picture look worse than if it would just render the picture like any other television signal.

If buying a new monitor isn't an option, you could buy a video capture card for your computer. I'm not aware of any other options, though I'm sure somebody out there makes a converter box if you look hard enough. It probably wouldn't be any cheaper than a video capture card, though.

if you are going to got with a $50 box think about Viewsonic Nextvision N4 I got mine for 100 bucks and it has RF in tc tuner composite in and PC pass through. I got mine from microcenter for about 100 bucks ... they have a upgraded version as well. and this is what I use with my 21'' NEC crt that is "spare".

Nice, if not a bit expensive for my purposes. So, it'd be possible to go 7800 -> Switchbox -> lead to cable converter -> Nextvision RF -> computer monitor. I might have to get one anyway. :D

If buying a new monitor isn't an option, you could buy a video capture card for your computer.
Well, I already have 12 identical & working monitors! Although I may look into ones like Curt mentioned when I (finally) upgrade my home monitor to a flatscreen.

What I wanted was a portable box to hook up directly to the monitor with no computer required. However, the cheapness of the video capture cards now (about $25) may make me change my mind...

I would add one more suggestion that you ditch the switch box in favor of an RCA to F-Type adapter like this and then just use regular coax cable for the connection from the 7800 to the Sabrent device.

Thanks, I am getting two of them. I'll probably wish I had bought 5 or more!

nice when I got my nextvision there was nothing else like it ... but that sabrent box looks sweet and the remote looks WAY better.

Well, the reviews don't look too kind, but this will suit my purposes. :D

Hey Greg,

That Sabrent box looks like it will do the trick. I would add one more suggestion that you ditch the switch box in favor of an RCA to F-Type adapter like this and then just use regular coax cable for the connection from the 7800 to the Sabrent device.

I use one of those on my 7800 to my RCA 27" flat tube. Gives a much better picture with no fuzz or lines/wavy lines like using the switchbox does.