IGNORED

How much would it cost for me to get my 7800 modded for AV?...

ataridave

The 8 bit domain kit is supposed to be good.

Don't count on it arriving next week. Or even next month. Dude takes a LONG TIME to ship stuff out. People here bitch about it like crazy.

I know, but I took the risk, and it HAS been shipped :)

kit from 8 bitdomain $39.95

looks fairly easy to install with basic tools.

I have got one arriving next week, so hope it is as easy as it looks!

FB2's are fun, but of corse you can't run 7800 games on it :(

True, but I may have to sell my 7800, then. Unless I could have someone here install it that kit (I wouldn't be able to if it requires any soldiering); S+H wouldn't be bad on the 7800, as it's actually pretty light.

A/V board arrived in UK this morning!

Anyone fitted one of these?

Do I need to take huge anti-static measures? Tray, wrist strap, anything else?

Thanks

No you don't need to do any of that shit, just crack open your 7800 in a clean(er) spot of your work bench and start operating on that slut untill it has AV. If you don't know how to solder or solder suck, go practice on your alarm clock for an hour first before fucking with your 7800.

Thanks

No you don't need to do any of that shit, just crack open your 7800 in a clean(er) spot of your work bench and start operating on that slut untill it has AV. If you don't know how to solder or solder suck, go practice on your alarm clock for an hour first before fucking with your 7800.

:rolling:

I love your answers Shawn!

How do I make shiney joints instead of the dull grey crap I keep turning out?

Thanks

:rolling:

I love your answers Shawn!

How do I make shiney joints instead of the dull grey crap I keep turning out?

What ratio of tin to led is in your solder? Make sure you iron tip is good and collective to grab the solder off the reel and solder with the side of the tip not the end of it. One nice clean movement should get the clean tinning your looking to get.

• 2 weeks later...

Shawn, the solder was lead free!, managed to find some leaded solder on the black market, shiny joints again!

The board is really easy to fit, and the instructions well written, accurate and simple to follow.

I have been soldering for about 2 days, and even with my limited experience I got a working 7800 first time (and a working 800 XL earlier this week!)

If anyone is unsure, go ahead and do it, you wont be disappointed.

RF is dead long live s-video

on the site 8 bitdomain..it has the Yellow plug only to mod, I thought it needs 2 plugs on for Video(Yellow) Audio(red)

7800ntsc-kit.jpg

The headphone jack is the audio. You could swap it out for a rca style jack (a "red" jack) like you speak of if you so desired.

I don't understand..why is there headphone jack for Audio, that's odd..No one on there TV's as a 3.5 jack like that

I did this upgrade, you use can buy audio cables that have the 3.5 jack on one end and two standard A/V jacks on the other so it gives a simulated stereo sound.

Edited by usinoh

I don't understand..why is there headphone jack for Audio, that's odd..No one on there TV's as a 3.5 jack like that

I did this upgrade, you use can buy audio cables that have the 3.5 jack on one end and two standard A/V jacks on the other so it gives a simulated stereo sound.

and use the s-video out instead of the yellow RCA- unbelievable picture quality :D

• 3 weeks later...

How good is the picture quality? Is it really that good? I have done some a/v mods on the 5200, and 2600. The video quality was very dissapointing. I want to know if these mods are really worth it. Its the picture cristal clear, or is there color bleeding or other abnormalities?

with s-video it is crystal clear, much better than my supervideo 2.1 moded 800xl or clearpic modded 1200XL.

I have never done the 2600 mod, but will be doing the 5200 mod soon *rambling*

But as all the 7800s that I have owned have had the worst RF of any system I have ever used, I cannot recommend it highly enough