IGNORED

RainbowVision 014 and 018?

Alex

To Rick & weaselbrains:

Are you sure Ski Run and the others really are Rainbow-Vision games?

I ask, because Al Backiel, noted collector, only lists through 20 or 21 (in an article I've been meaning to print in 2600 Connection for some time, eh heh), similar to the page that was recently posted.  Al thought sure that Dragon Defender cart was just a Quelle cart, not a RV cart...

Also, note that the "SS" number is present on many Quelle carts -- and if you read 26C you might remember the "StarSoft Nicht Existierent" article that proposes that the "SS" probably stands for "Suntek Software".  I might wager that RV games are just boxed up Suntek carts, same as Quelle in Europe.  What this means is that to call it an RV cart, you need to have the box or docs with the cart to prove that it was sold under the RV brand.  Of course, if there weren't any other brands in Aus that used the same carts, then most/all "SS" carts found there are probably RV, but it can't be proved without the box or docs, you know?

Russ, ranbowvision and suntek are the same 100% so you are right about not knowing if the game IS 100% rainbowvision or suntek! but i do belive that all the games suntek came out with so did rainbowvison!! and just because the game is in a the rainbowvision box can you be 100% sure that it is rainbowvision not suntek (unless you received it sealed)

has anyone opened up a rainbowvision/suntek case and looked at the chip?? just wondering if it would be the same chip?

you are misstaken on Quelle carts!! they may have the SS stamped on the back of the cases but NOT on the front label (SS-014 example)

i think i'm right on this part (correct me if i'm wrong anyone) but rainbowvision was distrubited for ONLY australia and suntek for the rest of europe!

Take Care,

Rick

[i think i'm right on this part (correct me if i'm wrong anyone) but rainbowvision was distrubited for ONLY australia and suntek for the rest of europe!

Actually, it is like this:

Rainbowvision = Australia

Suntek = Europe and Australia

Furthermore, it may be the case that only Suntek released the numbers above SS-025 or so. My highest Rainbowvision game is SS-020, while I know that SS-036 exists as a Suntek game for certain. Anyone else have higher numbered boxed Rainbowvision games?

Cheers,

Marco

Marco, HUMM.... interesting!! that could be!! NO!! my boxed rainbowvision games stop at 20 :sad: :sad:

do you have any boxed suntek games above 20? if so which one(s)?? :)

i just noticed a print topic button at the end of this thread!? is this something new? or have i not seen this ALL these times! :ponder: :? :ponder:

Take Care,

Rick

Rick:

I have opened some of my pirate carts. Most of them were from Quelle. Some of them said SUNTEK on the board or on the chip. Others that didn't have a name on the board or used a "blobed" chip at least used the same board design as some of the games with the SUNTEK name on them. Therefore I'd assume that all of the games with the S.S. on the back were made by Suntek, no matter who distributed them. I'd also assume that many of the other pirate games were also made by Suntek, as they are using the same badly hacked ROMs.

As for the Quelle games, it depends on how strict you define the term. There surely is a destinctive label style with German game names on them that only was sold by Quelle. But Quelle also distributed no-name games with many different label styles, like the Puzzy/BitCorp games with the plain label, or the Zellers style "Cooper Black" labels. It might be possible that Quelle also sold the Rainbow Vision style games in no-name boxes, as they seem to have come from the same source (Suntek).

Also note that some of the PAL Suntek/Rainbow Vision games actually have a serial number that starts with SP instead of SS. Both variations can be found in Germany, so unless there is prove through a box with a company name on it, you can't be sure that a pirate game was distributed by a certain company.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Also note that some of the PAL Suntek/Rainbow Vision games actually have a serial number that starts with SP instead of SS.

Do you have proof of that? I've never seen a game with the SPxxx serial number in any other than generic boxes, and not Suntek nor Rainbowvision.

Cheers,

Marco

Do you have proof of that? I've never seen a game with the SPxxx serial number in any other than generic boxes, and not Suntek nor Rainbowvision.

Sorry, I was a little inacurate there. What I meant to say was that there are PAL games with the same label style as Suntek/Rainbow Vision games that have SP serial numbers instead of SS serial numbers. I have never seen a boxed version of either label style.

But if you have found SP games in generic boxes in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised, if cartridges with SS style labels were released like this as well. They probably were manufactured by the same company, and at least for games distributed by Quelle the box and label styles seem to have been mixed occasionally.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg