IGNORED

Does anyone have pictures of Nutting Associates PCB's

TheBman80

I have some somewhere of Computer Quiz. Only ever seen that one around. Anyone ever actually played, touched, seen or otherwise experienced any others? I know they had a handful of others. My "how did they do that" title would be to play Watergate Caper. I don't think it ever made it past this ad phase.

Will see if I can dig some pics up. CQ was a stack of about 4 or 5 boards about 9 by 10 inches, maybe a little smaller. One or two were all relays the others were IC's. Very elegant design.

C

Cool thanks yeah I wanted to try to get some of these pictures together of obscure stuff like this I was collecting stuff from Ramtek for a while and had a good deal of them identified (except for the one board I own). Its just weird that no one has gone to the trouble of putting this information together even KLOV doesn’t have any of this.

Well we can eliminate Compter Space right away :) Its far more densely populated. By the spacing I am going to say its a pong type clone. NA made a few knock offs of that game, as did everybody else. After looking at my own pics of the Quiz game I think its too populated to be a projector game and not dense enough to be much more. How big is that board?

C

Well I won the thing off eBay and it should be in the mail when I get it in my hands I will make sure to post pictures of it maybe someone can identify the board or at least figure out the pinout for testing if possible. Are most of these games just for B&W TV's? I got a few lying around so it shouldn’t be a problem with the video unless they were heavily modified.

They are indeed tv powered as there was not a market in the early 70's for monitors per se. Within a few years there was of course the real deal.

Heres the catch: Curt Vendel swears he can tune a regular production TV to run on a pong. I have never had such luck. There is some sort of a bias circuit that you have to build (I am guessing a resistor or two?) and then send the signal in on the TV board BEFORE the tuner and then disable the tuner output. What I seem to get is a fuzzy tuner-filtered image.

If worst case strikes, you can use a color monitor and just drive one gun (RG or B, sync tied to the ground, IIRC). Did that (dimly visible) on an Anti-Aircraft...all my b&w monitors were down at the time!!!

C

You know if those pictures of Computer Quiz were yours to begin with you should submit them to KLOV they really don’t have any good pictures of the game at all just a front shot. I have no idea what their criteria is for submitting pictures but those seem to be the only ones that I have ever seen of the game.

Ok I got the Board today it's about 9 1/2" long if you count the edge connector (adds a ½”) by 6 1/2" wide. Serial number 0088 on the back and two of the hookups were marked the +5 volt and the GND I labeled them in the picture. I also included a close up shot of the serial number (on the front). I found a lot of the exact same adjustment pots on eBay but I have no idea if there the same value or not I probably should replace as much as possible on the board caps and what not there is probably no way they are still good. The board also has a 28/56 pin edge connector. Don’t know if any of this will help identify the board but hey its worth a shot.

post-8610-1179516220_thumb.jpg post-8610-1179516243_thumb.jpg post-8610-1179516267_thumb.jpg

Ok I got the Board today it's about 9 1/2" long if you count the edge connector (adds a ½”) by 6 1/2" wide. Serial number 0088 on the back and two of the hookups were marked the +5 volt and the GND I labeled them in the picture. I also included a close up shot of the serial number (on the front). I found a lot of the exact same adjustment pots on eBay but I have no idea if there the same value or not I probably should replace as much as possible on the board caps and what not there is probably no way they are still good. The board also has a 28/56 pin edge connector. Don’t know if any of this will help identify the board but hey its worth a shot.

post-8610-1179516220_thumb.jpg post-8610-1179516243_thumb.jpg post-8610-1179516267_thumb.jpg

Cool board! Now to find the rest of the machine!

Clearly made to work in a board stack similar to CS. My guess is Computer Space Ball or Computer Quiz. It seems that board suffers from the standard procedure of sanding off the ic's numbers that most NA games got. Somehow oddly my 2P CS machine did not suffer that fate....but IIRC my Computer Quiz did. There was a version called IQ Computer Quiz and there was a 2 player version, I believe. The only reason I know is I have seen a flyer for the IQ version (founded by another Nutting family member, brother I think) and my CQ had the 2 player back door on it by mistake. I donated it to the Game Expo thing (whatever its called now) a year ago. Those are my pics on the CS site...I will try and make a link. He has my CS machine on there :) I don't mind sharing whatever I have.

BTW, got the CQuiz at Winston Salem auction in 2001 for I think 10 bucks?....Got it running in an afternoon.

C

• 1 year later...
There was a version called IQ Computer Quiz and there was a 2 player version, I believe. The only reason I know is I have seen a flyer for the IQ version (founded by another Nutting family member, brother I think) and my CQ had the 2 player back door on it by mistake.

Sorry to ressurect this thread after 2 years, but just happened to come across it in the seach. The other Nutting was brother Dave Nutting, better known for Dave Nutting Associates (that often gets confused with Nutting Associates). IQ and Computer Quiz are one in the same, just released through both companies. Dave is better known for his arcade successes (First CPU driven pinball, first CPU driven video - Gun Fight), Bally Astrocade, Wizar of Wor, etc.

• 12 years later...