IGNORED

WHY I LOVE THE XBOX...

KAZ

While at the Midwest Classic in Milwaukee, WI I was able to pick up a really cool "packet" of information comparing specifications for all sorts of systems.

Lez see here, I'm just taking this from the pamphlet:

Atari 2600:

Speed: 1.19 mhz

Ram: 128 bytes

Colors: 4 simultaneous colors out of 128 (16 colors each with 8 levels of intensity

Microsoft Xbox:

Speed: 733 mhz (faster than the computer I'm using right now)

Ram: 64 MB Unified

Colors: 32-bit color (32,000 colors?)

The problem with Microsoft's operating systems has always been the operating system crashing and having performance issues. Does the Xbox crash alot? Maybe it never does, because users cannot ADD programs that have "bad coding" in them. The operating system is locked out from users. If users didn't add bad programs on the operating systems of computers, would they crash? I would say NO, if you kept the factory specs as they were, and didn't make ANY changes, it would never crash.

I love hotdogs!

Hi Kaz...

Ok, recently my brother just trade in Xbox from his friend, I did asked and talked with my brother about xbox, he told me that really awesome grahpic and sound....but to me, my feeling that I love Atari 2600 very much, I telling you Kaz that I never tried and play with Xbox myself since....beacuse not my type to play XBox very much.....Well, Adrian always talking about XBox very often at this forums.

I know some of members at this forums seem very tired to listened and discuss about Xbox too often......but need more little respect to some of members at this forums who like to play Xbox, none of my business, that their choice what they wanted.

I know how you feel that you dont like Xbox very much, that fine with me, I do respect to you anyway..... :)

Jason :)

I'm getting sleepy. I expect a flame war when I check this topic tommorrow.

I expect to hear arguments for the following:

Atari 5200 vs. Sega Dreamcast

Gameboy Advance vs. Jaguar CD

Pong vs. Intellivision

and finally:

PS1 vs. NeoGeo

btw, I'm just joking around people, I like the Atari 5200 anyway, I grew up with it. I like Atari period.

The XBox vs. Atari 2600 is sort of fun, because we're sort of seeing the dawn of the information age reflected in very bold terms. I would hazard a guess that none of us saw the dawn of the horseless carriage and few of us the dawn of the space age, so this is our window into our age, The Information Age.

Many of us played Pong and Atari 2600 as kids, and pretty much all of us play XBox, or GameCube or PS2.

And what I have I learned from all this? Buy the system based on the games you want to play, not based on numbers from an advertising slick.

Eric

Kaz, you'll soon learn that there are certain questions that should not be asked at certain times, or in certain places. If you want a flamewar, go elsewhere. It is not worth the trouble, and provoking Adrian M is not worth it. He's trying hard not to be what he once was. Why can't you let sleeping dogs lie?

I would suggest most strongly that you change the title of this topic.

Kaz, you'll soon learn that there are certain questions that should not be asked at certain times, or in certain places. If you want a flamewar, go elsewhere. It is not worth the trouble, and provoking Adrian M is not worth it. He's trying hard not to be what he once was. Why can't you let sleeping dogs lie?

I would suggest most strongly that you change the title of this topic.

I agree with Noble Kale. This XBox flamewar has gotten really really old on this board. If you like XBox, great for you. If you don't, great for you, too. Just try to respect other people's likes and dislikes!!! Adrian M is trying hard not to be what he once was, so please stop trying to provoke him. It doesn't do anything any good to anyone on this board.

Yeah, it ain't worth it! I got so stressed out by debating Dreamcast vs. PS2 not too long ago with some people. It's really dumb to let it ruin your day...and I let ruin mine.

BTW - Adrian M has been a complete diff person as of late. He actually has some pretty insightful things to say when he's not slamming everyone.

Heated debates are the best kind, when there is a real passion behind statements. A flamewar, however, is different since there is passion behind insulting the other person's statements, and not remaining neutral.

As far as sleeping dogs...don't you sometimes just like to go over and nudge them just a little bit, so they let out a really hilarious tiny growl (grr). Then they just go back to sleep anyways. Or they could bite your hand off too, whichever works.

The XBox vs. Atari 2600 is sort of fun, because we're sort of seeing the dawn of the information age reflected in very bold terms.  I would hazard a guess that none of us saw the dawn of the horseless carriage and few of us the dawn of the space age, so this is our window into our age, The Information Age.

Many of us played Pong and Atari 2600 as kids, and pretty much all of us play XBox, or GameCube or PS2.

Eric

Exactly right Eric! I have the rare priviledge to have been growing up around the time when video games were taking off. I was born in 1975, so I would have been around 7 or 8 when Atari was really taking off with Atari 2600 (1982). I never did own the Atari 2600, but I "vividly" remember going to friends houses playing games like football (those three characters on the screen).

Back then, the Atari 5200 was just awesome to me! I have the rare gift to be able to truly appreciate how far video gaming has come. I can like the XBOX and Atari at the exact same time. Another person born in the 90's would not have this opportunity, they would've never seen Atari, and would've missed out on the great video game years. I've never played on an XBOX yet, but I can pretty well imagine how it is.

While at the Midwest Classic in Milwaukee, WI  I was able to pick up a really cool "packet" of information comparing specifications for all sorts of systems.  

Lez see here, I'm just taking this from the pamphlet:

Atari 2600:

Speed:  1.19 mhz

Ram:  128 bytes

Colors:  4 simultaneous colors out of 128 (16 colors each with 8 levels of intensity

I'm a bit confused about the speed of the 6507. Lots of places list it as 1.19MHz like that is its clock speed, but programming documentation I have seen suggests it is really 1.19 MIPS, which would likely mean a higher clock rate. Otherwise, it would be running one instruction per clock cycle, and I don't think the 6507 can manage that.
Microsoft Xbox:

Speed:  733 mhz (faster than the computer I'm using right now)

Ram:  64 MB Unified

Colors:  32-bit color (32,000 colors?)

Clock speeds aren't everything. The PS2 isn't terribly far behind in graphics performance and it is clocked at only 300MHz. But the PS2 does a lot of processing in parallel. More than any other device found in the home, except for brains (pets' or humans').

32-bit color may be 24-bit color with an 8-bit alpha channel or some pallete thing. 24-bit color allows for 16,777,216 different colors and is generally accepted to cover about the whole range of human color perception.

The problem with Microsoft's operating systems has always been the operating system crashing and having performance issues.  Does the Xbox crash alot?  Maybe it never does, because users cannot ADD programs that have "bad coding" in them.  The operating system is locked out from users.  If users didn't add bad programs on the operating systems of computers, would they crash?   I would say NO, if you kept the factory specs as they were, and didn't make ANY changes, it would never crash.

WARNING: I mean for my tone in this message to be informative, not flaming. I'm not getting mad, I'm just putting forth my thoughs and observations. The words might be read to sound otherwise, but to do so is to violate my rights on this intellectual property and I'll send my lawyers to beat you up!!

Now, back to the topic . . . :-)

The more complex the program, the greater the possibility for bugs. Game software is fairly complex, and I'm surprised that more games don't crash. I'm not limiting that statement to the X Box. The X Box should have a lot less trouble than Windows because there will be less updating to the system. I also imagine that the games come with all the code they use -- quite common elsewhere on game consoles. This should go a long way to eliminating trouble caused by having multiple versions of some code, like Windows DLL hell. Although Microsoft hasn't been making the greatest quality software, so there is still plenty of room to make a mistake or ten.

As for the "bad coding" in programs you mentioned, who decides that? A bunch of falible people trying to figure out if there is any posible condition, of which there are *plenty*, that will cause trouble. Console game software has done remarkably well here, especially compared to computer software. But with hard drives and internet access comes the ability to dynamically and periodically send new code to a console. Some developers might get lazy with quality control with this upcomming ability. Of course, that won't just affect the X Box.

In any case, what I'm saying here is that there is a posibility of one that the X Box (and PS2, and GC, etc) can crash. To say that there is a simple condition that if always met would always ensure that the system would not crash is like saying some particular boat will never sink. And even if the console itself doesn't really crash doesn't mean that the game software will screw up and become unusable until after a reset (or reboot, if you want to call it that). My used copy of Burnout for my PS2 does this occasionally.

Now for the disclaimer: I am a software developer, so I am familiar with the process of making software, the mistakes that can occur, and with crashing in general. I have not used an X Box and have not heard anything about it crashing outside of early demo units in stores. My brother just got one (less than 12 hours ago) so I suppose I'll be hearing in the next week or two if the X Box crashes.

Hi Kaz...

Hey, what up? did you changed the topic, before "Why I hate X-Box", but now new topic "why I love X-box?

Can you explain to me please, Im kinda of cufusion :?  

Thank you! :)  

Jason ;)

I never did hate the XBOX, I was just "doing a little experiment". It didn't work as I had hoped, and I was just being silly. I know now the error of my ways! Let sleeping dogs lie! Someone had asked me to change the title of my post so that it didn't start a flamewar. Only you can prevent forest fires! ;)

atari and xbox are different experiences.

Atari is something you sit down with a game and play for an hour or so. It tests your skill. It also has gameplay like no other.

Xbox- is a sleep deprivation engine. If you sit down bring a lunch, and dinner for that matter. It is less skill and more in depth problem solving.

I love them both. One thing though. The atari was fresh when it came out. It was so neat to be in the dawning of a new medium for entertainment. Modern consoles are really mind blowing. However, I never have gotten as excited about them as I was in the golden age.