IGNORED

Xenophobe update

Goochman

The 2600 version isn't two player? I thought it was. Never had an occurrence to try it, but there is a lower part of the screen which I figured was for the 2nd player.

The 8-bit version looks awesome though. The sprites look just like the 7800 version. I bet they shared them...

How is it compared to the 7800 version?

Actually it's almost identical if you can believe it. I guess that means the 7800 version was sort of a half-assed port or that the guys who did the 8-bit were really really good.

The 2600 version isn't two player? I thought it was. Never had an occurrence to try it, but there is a lower part of the screen which I figured was for the 2nd player.

It's two player, but alternating. I seriously doubt the 2600 could have handled two players at once (at least back then).

Tempest

My review:

http://www.atariprotos.com/8bit/software/x...e/xenophobe.htm

Bottom line, it's a terrific conversion! I'm shocked at how good it is. If you liked the arcade game, you'll want to play this version.

Tempest

Excellent review! I hope to see my own copy waiting in the mail as soon as I get back from a trip next week.

How is it compared to the 7800 version?

Actually it's almost identical if you can believe it. I guess that means the 7800 version was sort of a half-assed port or that the guys who did the 8-bit were really really good.

I'm thinking more of the latter, as 7800 Xenophobe is really good, too. The Lombard division was really churning out some quality stuff by '90, and it's pretty clear from this and MIDI Maze that they (and their affiliates at Softgold) were at the top of their game. It just whets the appetite from the two or three other missing-and-presumed-coded titles out there like Ninja Golf and Ikari Warriors, doesn't it? And I'd be in heaven if a completed version of A8 Scrapyard Dog turned up, though I've never seen this listed even as a planned XEGS title.

Edited by davidcalgary29

• 3 weeks later...