IGNORED

JagFree Source

Stone

Anybody know anything about Carl releasing the source to JagFreeCD? I seem to recall it was one of the less major selling points, but I'd quite like to play with some CDs I have and I don't have the funds to buy ProtSE (very sadly). Any news would be nice.

(sorry if you've seen this post before, JI2 keeps crashing so I thought I'd try here while it's down yet again)

Cheers,

Stone

Anybody know anything about Carl releasing the source to JagFreeCD? I seem to recall it was one of the less major selling points, but I'd quite like to play with some CDs I have and I don't have the funds to buy ProtSE (very sadly). Any news would be nice.

(sorry if you've seen this post before, JI2 keeps crashing so I thought I'd try here while it's down yet again)

Cheers,

Stone

B&C Computervisions sells a reather nifty little bypass cart and it costs about 1/2 what others do.

You would definitely do well to get one because loading code each time you want to boot a CD is quite tedious.

B&C Computervisions sells a reather nifty little bypass cart and it costs about 1/2 what others do.

Ahahahahahaha.

27c1001 EPROM = £0.13 . Electricity used to burn it a few pence.

B&C bypass cart = $40 = about £30.

You would definitely do well to get one because loading code each time you want to boot a CD is quite tedious.

Yes it is, but I'm not going to spend £30 on one if I can make my own for under £0.20. I asked if the source had been released, nothing more.

Stone

Ahahahahahaha.

27c1001 EPROM = £0.13 . Electricity used to burn it a few pence.

B&C bypass cart = $40 = about £30.

Yes it is' date=' but I'm not going to spend £30 on one if I can make my own for under £0.20. I asked if the source had been released, nothing more.

Stone[/quote']

From what I am told, the Bypass Cart contains a pair of 27C8000 16Mbit Eproms. You forgot to add the cost of the board, the case, and the decal.

If you're going to be so sarcastic about it because you know so much about electronics, then why not just write your own bypass for BJL?

From what I am told, the Bypass Cart contains a pair of 27C8000 16Mbit Eproms. You forgot to add the cost of the board, the case, and the decal.

Nope, a 27c1001 should be plenty big enough. I was planning on compiling the source to run from $E00000 (think that's the right number of 0's) and burn it as a replacement for my BJL BIOS. Should work fine; then again we'll never know until someone tries so I may as well be that someone.

Comparing apples with oranges I guess, but I'd still much rather pay £0.20 than $40, given the restrictions on my expenditure.

If you're going to be so sarcastic about it because you know so much about electronics, then why not just write your own bypass for BJL?

Because hardware isn't software, if I may state the obvious. Frankly, my coding isn't good enough to scratch-build something like that, which is why I enquired as to the availability of the source. If it's not available (which I'm not sure about seeing as nobody has actually answered my question yet) then I'll grab some 27c040's and a socketed cart from B&C and make my own; that way I can at least have the versatility to make my own carts of any other rom images I find lying around my HD (Native being the prime example). 27c040's are almost as cheap as 27c1001s if I get them surplus off eBay - there's two auctions currently running with 10 of them for €9, which isn't bad at all, and gives me enough to make two 2MB carts for under the price of one sold commercially. Simple enough maths for me; sorry if that offended in any way.

Stone

Nope, a 27c1001 should be plenty big enough. I was planning on compiling the source to run from $E00000 (think that's the right number of 0's) and burn it as a replacement for my BJL BIOS. Should work fine; then again we'll never know until someone tries so I may as well be that someone.

a) That wouldn't work.

b) The cart contains 2 16Mbit Eproms. Not a 27C1001. It's not like they put a tiny eprom in there and chanrged you $40.00.

Comparing apples with oranges I guess, but I'd still much rather pay £0.20 than $40, given the restrictions on my expenditure.

So, you won't support the developers with your purchases, but you do want them to GIVE you their source code?

a) That wouldn't work.

Tried it? I'm always willing to play with stuff if there's even the remotest possibility of it working.

b) The cart contains 2 16Mbit Eproms. Not a 27C1001. It's not like they put a tiny eprom in there and chanrged you $40.00.

No, but if my way works you won't need a 32Mbit cart. I have nothing against them using a different way but the fact remains that using a BIOS of it is inevitably going to be much cheaper. If it doesn't work I'm fine with buying their solution, but not trying it on the assumption that it'll never work just seems foolish.

So, you won't support the developers with your purchases, but you do want them to GIVE you their source code?

Of course I want; Carl said the source was going to be released, and I'd like to play with it. Very simple. As for supporting them (though I'd hardly call B&C developers) I'd love to but I'm restricted in what I spend by my parents - if I buy stuff online I have to go through them which means they vet my every purchase. Which sucks. If I buy stuff in shops they're fine with it, but I can't buy bypass kit in a physical store, can I? I'm pretty much stuck with whatever I can make for myself and what I can get on my parents' occasional whim, so despite my fairly generous allowance I can't do anything with it, which is just stupid. Hence, making stuff for myself is a good thing, and buying stuff online is bad. If I get good grades I'll be pushing for any of the bypass solutions (probably ProtSE) but frankly my chances aren't great, so I was exploring alternatives. In response to which I've had this thread. Lovely.

Stone

Hi Stone,

Just a thought. Maybe you can take the Developers CD Bios from Glenn's site and apply the universal encryption header to it. The universal encryption didn't work on the rom put in CD-Drive itself. I think this is because the CD-rom rom is 8 bits wide while the universal encryption header is for 32 bit wide carts (As far as I know the cart bit width is stored in the header). So maybe the universal encryption header works if you put the Dev CD-rom bios on a 32-bit wide cart.

Robert

Hi Stone,

Just a thought. Maybe you can take the Developers CD Bios from Glenn's site and apply the universal encryption header to it. The universal encryption didn't work on the rom put in CD-Drive itself. I think this is because the CD-rom rom is 8 bits wide while the universal encryption header is for 32 bit wide carts (As far as I know the cart bit width is stored in the header). So maybe the universal encryption header works if you put the Dev CD-rom bios on a 32-bit wide cart.

Robert

Why not just take the Developer CD-ROM BIOS and burn it onto a new chip, desolder the BIOS in your CD-ROM, and solder in the new one?

Seems to me like trying to make a cart out of the developer CD-ROM BIOS is a lot of extra effort.

Hi Stone,

Robert

Unforunately my site is gone. Yahoo evicted me by taking away FTP access. By the way I didn't have any ROM images on there. But they are available elsewhere (www.atari-jaguar.de).

Why not just take the Developer CD-ROM BIOS and burn it onto a new chip, desolder the BIOS in your CD-ROM, and solder in the new one?

Seems to me like trying to make a cart out of the developer CD-ROM BIOS is a lot of extra effort.

Yes, I did that to my JagCD but desoldering the chip is not easilly done for most people. And you need the green Stubulator OS to boot the Dev CD-Rom BIOS. Not a problem for me since my Jaguar can switch between 5 Jaguar OSes.

An advantage of replacing the CD BIOS chip is that booting an unencrypted CD is faster than using a CD bypass cart (no need to boot the bypass cart first)

Robert

Unforunately my site is gone.  Yahoo evicted me by taking away FTP access.  By the way I didn't have any ROM images on there.  But they are available elsewhere (www.atari-jaguar.de).

I got the rom from the site with one yellow webpage that also had some information about creating Jaguar CD-rom tracks. I thought that that site was created by you too.

I couldn't find the developer bios on www.atari-jaguar64.de. It seems only the regular cd bios is downloadable there.

Robert

Unforunately my site is gone.  Yahoo evicted me by taking away FTP access.  By the way I didn't have any ROM images on there.  But they are available elsewhere (www.atari-jaguar.de).

I got the rom from the site with one yellow webpage that also had some information about creating Jaguar CD-rom tracks. I thought that that site was created by you too.

Robert

That is Scott Walters web site. But the address I had for that page is no longer any good. Don't know where he might have moved it to.

Well, I don't really want to replace my JagCD BIOS since last time I took the case off it it took nearly an hour to get it back on again :)

And it cost a fair bit so I'd rather not deface it too much. My EPROM burner's last parts arrived today so I'll see about finishing that when I get time and then maybe I'll be in more of a position to experiment.

Stone