IGNORED

Making a Magicard Cassette Interface Cable

mvigor

I have decided to attempt to make the Magicard Cassette Interface Cable.

I would like to hear from anyone who has attempted (successfully or unsuccessfully) to make this interface.

I printed the parts list and schematic diagram last night and went to Radio Shack to get parts. I found everything I needed except a 15 Ohm, 1 Watt resistor. Maybe someone could stick one in an envelope and send me one? ;) I also could not find a 74LS14, but I did get a 74HCT14 which seems (to a novice) to be the same thing.

I'm going to be working on it during my lunch hour for a while now and hopefully I'll get it working.

If anyone else is going to be building this soon, I have some extra resistors and stuff that I can send you. I spent $16 last night.

I am thinking of building the Magicard interface also .. seems easy enough ... I will probably build it inside my Atari 4 switch .. but I will probably not do it until next week after this Fourth of July week ...

Plus I have much Magicard reading to do .. :)

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Well, I can't help you there, but I have a question of my own.

You can write an Atari program with a Magicard and you can save to cassette using the interface. However, can that Magicard program run on an Atari WITHOUT the Magicard? In other words, can you take the Magicard WAV file, turn it into a BIN and run it on a Cuttlecart or emulator? How about burning it onto a cart?

I'm going to pick up a Magicard, but it'll suck if only other Magicard owners can play my games. Anyone have answers here?

• 2 weeks later...
I have decided to attempt to make the Magicard Cassette Interface Cable.

So how did it turn out? I'm gonna look up the 74LS14 and see about availability .. I have an idea to build the circuit into my 2600 and provide a RJ11 (telephone jack) as I/O. Then I can use a standard telephone cable to another RJ11 jack with two 1/8" phono plugs to the family computer for saving retrieving programs.

I would like to take you up on your spare parts offer.

I have worked on it for about an hour and a half and I'm not even finished with the circuit board. This is one of my first projects to be started basically from scratch and I am still learning. For example, I spend ten minutes trying to decide which side of the PCB was UP and which side was DOWN. I decided that the solder sticks better to the side with the metal on it! :ponder: :D

The project is still "OUT", so I'll hopefully put some more time into it soon enough. Wish me luck.

Well I'm ready to start construction of the circuit! I'm gonna look through my IC collection and see if I have a 74LS14 sitting around.

I was typing code from the manual into the Cuttle/ Magicard emulation last night .. and having fun! It's great to see colors flash across the screen in 2600 glory! It doesn't take much to entertain me! :)

I'm ready to laminate a printout of the overlays .. and punch/ cut the holes.

mvigor,

check your pm, I found some kind of adapter that plugs into a joystick port and on the other end it has 3 jacks that look like the end of headphone or microphone jacks.

I have a picture of it, but I dont know how to post it here. (I dont have a webpage).

I was wondering if this is what you are making? It seems to be a tape adapter, made by Texax Instruments. :)

The magicard adapter has two phone plugs, one for headphone and one for microphone. The other end either has a pass-thru plug so that a Keyboard controller can be plugged into the same (left) controller port or (like the one I'm making) has been directly hacked/spliced into the cord of a Keyboard controller.

I don't know what your cord is for, but I'd hold onto it. I'll reply when I find out if my project was successful.