IGNORED

stella DC

Red 5

I'm an idiot.

There I said it.

I freakin' give up, throw in the towel, bang my head on the desk and cry.

I have succesfully made a SNES disk that plays in my DC with no problems at all, but I cannot

for the life of me make an Atari StellDC disk. :x

Does anyone (and yes, I feel like an idiot asking this) have ANY sort of step by step instructions to do this?

(I don't even know why I want it. Stella runs on my PC fine, most of the games I want to play I own for the real

thing, but it is just something I have started to obsess on... please help...)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=1020

I feel your pain, man. It took me forever to get it working.

I'm an idiot.

There I said it.

I have succesfully made a SNES disk that plays in my DC with no problems at all, but I cannot

Does anyone (and yes, I feel like an idiot asking this) have ANY sort of step by step instructions to do this?

(I don't even know why I want it. Stella runs on my PC fine, most of the games I want to play I own for the real

• 1 month later...
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=1020

I feel your pain, man. It took me forever to get it working.

I'm an idiot.

There I said it.

That's a good read there. My main problem is I don't know how to burn a DC CD. Is it an audio CD? Video CD? Data? I think this is where I'm getting lost. That and everything is a .pro file, which confuses the hell out of me and there's only that one folder (dcstella.pro). There's 1900 files in there, all made up of numbers and letters. I successfully made an NES disc on the site you referred me to in another thread.

Edited by bretthorror

I followed the instructions exactly, and the best i can get is a disc that shows the Atari 2600 logo onscreen when the Dreamcast boots up, and gives me an Atari logo on the VMU, but then just goes to a black screen and stays there. Any ideas as to what's going wrong?

I used Boot Dreams to make the image, and then ran that through Disc Juggler to burn it.

I followed the instructions exactly, and the best i can get is a disc that shows the Atari 2600 logo onscreen when the Dreamcast boots up, and gives me an Atari logo on the VMU, but then just goes to a black screen and stays there. Any ideas as to what's going wrong?

I used Boot Dreams to make the image, and then ran that through Disc Juggler to burn it.

Use http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/ and it's a lot simpler. Even I got it to work for 2600 games.

-Download the program and run it

-Add the Atari 2600 DC Stella emu to the .sbi file folder in the sbinducr program file (the .sbi emulator of stella is found on the above website and must be used)

-Click the button in the program that looks like a UPC bar (it's on the bottom left side) and it'll extract that sbi file (stella)

-Close the program and open up the sbinducr file

-Add your roms to the 2600 folder it creates for you

-Open the program again and press the button to create the burn image that suits your burning program (I used a new version of Nero and just clicked "Nero Tao" button

-When it's done creating the image, close the program and go to the sbinducr program and find the burn image and double click on it, that'll open up the burning program

-BURN 'ER

It sounds a lot harder than it is.

But, if you can figure out how to burn 7800 games to the DC, you're a better man than I. I've wasted 10 discs trying. :(

But, if you can figure out how to burn 7800 games to the DC, you're a better man than I. I've wasted 10 discs trying. :(

If it makes you feel any better i've scrapped about a dozen over the past two days, tinkering with various stuff. My wife's going to be pissed next time she needs me to make her some CDs for in the car. :D Damn you, versatile Dreamcast!! I already have more *real* games than anyone could possibly find the time to play, now i've got a couple thousand more in a stack next to the DC.

Thanks for the assistance, but i was already led to success by therealred5. His method was different though...apparently i was using the only method that doesn't work. :cool:

If it makes you feel any better i've scrapped about a dozen over the past two days, tinkering with various stuff. My wife's going to be pissed next time she needs me to make her some CDs for in the car. :D Damn you, versatile Dreamcast!! I already have more *real* games than anyone could possibly find the time to play, now i've got a couple thousand more in a stack next to the DC.

Thanks for the assistance, but i was already led to success by therealred5. His method was different though...apparently i was using the only method that doesn't work. :cool:

I've successfully been able to run Gameboy, Sega Master System, Game Gear, NES, Atari 2600, Colecovision and C64. I also got SG and SNES to work, but the emulators aren't good enough and the games are unplayable.

I've unsuccessfully tried Spectra, Atari 7800, Neo Geo Pocket, Odyssey 2 and SG-1000. Of all them, the 7800 is the only one that really pissed me off. Mainly because of all the systems that don't work, that's the only one where I can get all the roms to show up, the emulator actually loads. Yet it won't run them. You have to manually add the bios to it, and I did that but it still didn't work. It's like I'm so close yet so far.

I've successfully been able to run Gameboy, Sega Master System, Game Gear, NES, Atari 2600, Colecovision and C64. I also got SG and SNES to work, but the emulators aren't good enough and the games are unplayable.

I've unsuccessfully tried Spectra, Atari 7800, Neo Geo Pocket, Odyssey 2 and SG-1000. Of all them, the 7800 is the only one that really pissed me off. Mainly because of all the systems that don't work, that's the only one where I can get all the roms to show up, the emulator actually loads. Yet it won't run them. You have to manually add the bios to it, and I did that but it still didn't work. It's like I'm so close yet so far.

In a weird kind of way, this does instill me with a burning desire to play 7800 games on my Dreamcast. The power button's even a little screwy on my actual 7800, so i'd even have a great excuse. I'm going to need to restock my CD-R supply first though. :)

What SNES emulator did you use? I had what one might call moderate success with DreamSNES. It works, and the less-impressive SNES games run fine...i'm looking forward to the day when someone finally gets it right, though. I'd think that at the very least, the Genesis should be possible.

In a weird kind of way, this does instill me with a burning desire to play 7800 games on my Dreamcast. The power button's even a little screwy on my actual 7800, so i'd even have a great excuse. I'm going to need to restock my CD-R supply first though. :)

What SNES emulator did you use? I had what one might call moderate success with DreamSNES. It works, and the less-impressive SNES games run fine...i'm looking forward to the day when someone finally gets it right, though. I'd think that at the very least, the Genesis should be possible.

Yeah DreamSNES is the one I used. It could barely chug Super Castlevania IV along, and that's the only one I really tried. The Genesis one ran Streets of Rage impossibly slow. I've never tried a 7800 because, and I have so many consoles that I just have no room for one, that's why I put forth so much effort in trying to get the small library on CD. I sit with 10 wrecked CDs before me and still I get the urge to try once more.

I saved some CDs because the program I linked you to lets you run multiple emulators on one CD. So, when I tried to burn the 7800 library, I added a few 2600 games and an emulator to see if it would work. The 7800 didn't, but the 2600 did, so I knew I could go about downloading the many roms I'd want and not waste my time. I did this with most systems and probably saved 10 more CDs because of it.

There's a bunch of homebrews on that site that work simply by adding the emulator to the sbi folder and it automatically puts the roms in place for you. But, the arcade classics don't work the same way, which is a shame because I'd love to play The Simpsons and TMNT arcade games. Still, if you have an extra CD kicking around when you get your new spindle it wouldn't hurt to toss 40 DC homebrews onto one disc for the price of, what, a quarter for the CD?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I've recently got into Dreamcast and have managed to get a few emulators working well with the DC (Intellivision, Colecovision, and DreamNES)

Can't believe I am having so much trouble with StellaDC and Atari800DC. This is just crazy.

First off, can anyone tell me how the disc is supposed to be laid out for DC Stella? In the root I had the 1st read bin, ip.bin, and then the folder with all the .pro files, and in the root I had all the game roms.

With all the roms I got an unloadable disk.

With just ONE game rom I got a disc that would boot to a Dreamcast/Atari 2600 screen.

This suggests to me that the roms need to be in a "rom" folder or something. I have yet to find instructions on the net on how to set up a StellaDC disc.

If anyone has gotten this to work using Dream Boot I am particularly interested.

(And I find it ironic that it is on a Atari board I get the most detail about the problem of making StellaDC discs after all the asking around I've done.) :)

Got help from Therealred5 and got a Stella disc working. Let me know if you need help getting one set up.

For those that have Stella discs working, I understand there is a method with Stella where you can load the games, and then switch discs for other rom collections. Any idea how this works?

There's a 7800 emu for the DC?!!!

Interesting.

Now I'm disapointed in myself. Emulation has always been a big thing with me, and I've always tried to stay somewhat on top of it. How did this slip under my radar? I must be slacking or something. :(

{Artlover goes off to get 7800 goodness for DC.}