IGNORED

Modern console recommendation?

swvcc

I am looking for recommendations on modern consoles. I have not kept up with the numerous different systems to come out since the Sega Genesis (I'm not kidding). I primarily play my Genesis, Colecovision and the trusty Atari 2600.

I am thinking of actually going new-school and picking up a new system. My criteria is:

1-SIMPLE!! (I don't have hours to learn how to use the thing)

2-Good selection of shooters available for the sytem (I'm not into RPGs)

Any advice?

Dreamcast has some shooters. Bangai-O for one and the sequel to Radiant Silvergun (the best shooter ever) is coming out in September (Import). I think Expendable is also a shooter.

Playstation has three great titles. Meal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Medal of Honor Frontline (all games where you shoot guns!). It's got great racing titles in GT3 and Ridge Racer 5. Dynasty Warriors 2 is also a great title (haven't played 3 yet).

X-Box has Halo which is the game I play the most across all systems. Dead to Rights comes out in about a month. Isn't Gunvalkrie (sp?) a shooter?

Gamecube is nice for some titles available only on this system. Many aren't out yet though. These include Eternal Darkness, Metroid, Mario Sunshine, Zelda and Godzilla.

If you dont have that much time to play games i would suggest a PS2, just because you can buy the PS2 games as well as PS1 games, so that just tripled your choises of games to buy and play on the PS2

you get 2 systems in one with the PS2

Also keep in mind that the PS2 is compatible with 99% of the original Playstation games out there, so it by far has the biggest library of games... so there's really something there for everybody.

I have a Dreamcast, but I don't have any of the 3 newest ones. I'm leaning towards the PS2 for that reason. The Gamecube is cheaper and has some great games. The XBox also has a few quality titles, but I think it will be dead in 12-18 months. My local EB has all their XBox stuff tucked away in one corner.. which is smaller than the display area for Dreamcast games!

KA

The choice is simple. Buy an XBOX.

Many great titles today with TONS of super awesome games coming out later this year! Contrary to what others say, the XBOX will be around for a good long time and has the best components (ie: hard drive, built in broadband support) to ensure that the future is bright!

HALO is truly worth the price of the system itself! If you want a list of great titles that I personally own or have played extensively, send me a private message.

I am looking for recommendations on modern consoles. I have not kept up with the numerous different systems to come out since the Sega Genesis (I'm not kidding). I primarily play my Genesis, Colecovision and the trusty Atari 2600.  

I am thinking of actually going new-school and picking up a new system. My criteria is:

Any advice?

First of all, all the consoles meet criterion 1. Second of all, criterion 2 is subjective, and it is possible for any of the consoles to meet it, too.

So, go to some place like Electronics Boutique and browse the games for all the systems. Or find some web site and browse there. Find some nice shooting games you think you'd enjoy, and buy the system with the best ones.

As for unusual aspects outside the criteria:

GC uses proprietary disks. In the distant future when people are doing hobbyist development on what are now the latest systems, the GC will be left out.

The X Box will have online games run on a Microsoft operated service. Because the way it is handled, some game companies are reluctant to produce online titles for the X Box, like Electronic Arts. In contrast, Nintendo and Sony are letting the game companies do as they please.

The PS2 has some hobbyist development for it now. Sony relesed a Linux kit for their console. Although the kit doesn't quite meet criterion 1, it has already attracted many developers to spend their free time developing software for the PS2. Probably better for real-time strategy games than shooting games.

all of the modern consoles are easy to use, Criteria 1, but NONE of the games are. You need to have a PhD or better to even start a game, the instruction manual tends to be several hundred pages long.

That's why I stick to my VCS (plug and play baby).

But I'm getting a Gamecube cause I like the selection of Unique games, I like the controller, its small and easily stored, most cross platform games are available for it, and its the cheapest.

Man, looking at the "Coming Soon" box displays at EB World today... one system looks to be the obvious favorite

PS2

Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Tony Hawk 4

Something Dumb

XBOX

New Panzer Dragoon

Dead to Rights

Metal Gear Solid Substance

New Turok

Tony Hawk 4

Another game with a chick and a gun

Football game

GAMECUBE

Metroid Prime

New Zelda

New Mario Party

Mario Sunshine

Wario World

Resident Evil 0

New Turok

Monkey Ball 2

New Star Fox

007 Night Fire

New Mortal Kombat

Some Game about Animals

Some other game

Any advice?

I recommend the Atari Jaguar! :D

If you want something more modern than that, I would recommend the PS2 since it currently has the largest collection of games since it is compatiable with games for the PS1 and because it currently enjoys the largest market share of any modern console, companies are writing more programs for it than the other consoles.

I have a PS2 and a GameCube.

If you want to PLAY GAMES NOW, I would suggest the PS2. The PS2, finally, has a rather large selection of good games. The "Greatest Hits" collection are $19.99 and all are pretty good, none are really shooters though. Also, if you don't have a DVD player, this could be a selling point. It is not the best DVD player, but, it sure beats not having ONE AT ALL!

Despite what others say about the GameCube controller, I really do not like it! If you haven't played any modern systems though, I think you could get used to it easily. You will need to WAIT FOR GAMES that you might want to play. The 'Cube doesn't have many of any type of game. So far only Resident Evil has impressed me and it isn't a shooter. I only have two games for it though, RE and Dave Mirra 2. On the plus side though, you can buy a 'Cube($150) and a game(most are $50) for the price of just the PS2($200). I believe that EB(Electronics Boutique) have a special $25 rebate on a GameCube package deal going on right now. At least the EB's around me do.

Also, as stated previously, The GameBoy Advance is an excellent console for shooters. If you are even thinking "portable" I would recommend it over the others. Its cheaper($70) and most of the games are cheaper too. :D

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, I am not looking to offend anyone :D

While I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, I wholeheartedly agree with you on this! The Atari Jaguar has Raiden, which I can't ever get enough of. It has Protector and Protector SE, which are both awesome 2D shooter games. It has Defender 2000, which I love if only for the original Defender mode in it. It has Native if you get Jagfree CD support (included with Protector SE). It really, has some of the best 2D shooters ever, IMHO.

Sega Saturn with Darius Gaiden and Radient Silvergun, amongst others would be another good system from that period.

If you want something more modern than that, I would recommend the PS2 since it currently has the largest collection of games since it is compatiable with games for the PS1 and because it currently enjoys the largest market share of any modern console, companies are writing more programs for it than the other consoles.

While I'll agree with you about the selection, when it comes to 2D shooters (assuming that is what you meant by shooters), the Dreamcast is really the only system with much of anything. The Dreamcast has Bangai-O, GigaWing, GigaWing 2, Gunbird 2, Mars Matrix and the afforementioed Ikaragu (if I spelt it right). Not many other modern systems have that much in the way of 2D shooters.

If you are thinking first person shooter, I would have to suggest either the GameCube for the upcoming Metriod Prime or the XBox for Halo. Honestly though, the current batch of systems don't have too many FPS yet, so it may be in your best interest to wait a few months and see what has come out before you get one if that is what you are after.

While I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, I wholeheartedly agree with you on this! The Atari Jaguar has Raiden, which I can't ever get enough of. It has Protector and Protector SE, which are both awesome 2D shooter games. It has Defender 2000, which I love if only for the original Defender mode in it. It has Native if you get Jagfree CD support (included with Protector SE). It really, has some of the best 2D shooters ever, IMHO.

Sega Saturn with Darius Gaiden and Radient Silvergun, amongst others would be another good system from that period.

I have the Atari Jagar that I purchased on Ebay. It is a great system and I am saddened to think that despite some advantages enjoyed by the system, it did not do well against them by comparision. The probem was that at the beginning of the Jag's release there would not that many games released for it and the few that were made were not impressive. Eventually the cool programs like Tempest 2000 would come along but by then it was too late.

That is a statement of fact. While you can't really go wrong with any system that you choose, the PS2 is currently the safer choice.

While I'll agree with you about the selection, when it comes to 2D shooters (assuming that is what you meant by shooters), the Dreamcast is really the only system with much of anything. The Dreamcast has Bangai-O, GigaWing, GigaWing 2, Gunbird 2, Mars Matrix and the afforementioed Ikaragu (if I spelt it right). Not many other modern systems have that much in the way of 2D shooters.

I am not familiar with these so I can not speak about these games.

If you are thinking first person shooter, I would have to suggest either the GameCube for the upcoming Metriod Prime or the XBox for Halo.

I hope MS brings Halo to the PC soon.

Honestly though, the current batch of systems don't have too many FPS yet, so it may be in your best interest to wait a few months and see what has come out before you get one if that is what you are after.

I think swvcc has forgot about this post :D

Either that.. or was driven insane by the bounty of information swelling forth!

Although some of the games are hard to find, I would recommend a Saturn to someone in swvcc's situation. There are a TON of 2d shooters and most of them are really good.

BUT... since the Saturn games that are best suited to a classic gamer are hard to find and (usually) expensive imports, I guess I would have to say "Get a PS2." (ugh!)

There are rumours (and they are only rumours!) that Nintendo is going to start releasing compilation discs of older NES and SNES games for the GCN. I don't doubt that this could happen, simply due to the fact that Nintendo REALLY likes to milk their franchises. The only thing that I could see that might keep them from doing this is the gold mine of SNES titles being re-released on the GBA... they might start cannibalizing their own sales.

I got my copy of Bangai-O for DC. It's fun. I also have G Darius on PS1 which is a great 2D shooter.

Anyone remember Phelios from the Genesis? I have two discs worth of Genesis ROMS but only one of them loads correctly on my Dreamcast. They are both supposed to work. BAH! The second half of the alphabet is the one that doesn't work.

Are Don Pachi and Do Don Pachi available for any consoles? Those may very well be my favorite 2D shooters in MAME.

I got my copy of Bangai-O for DC.  It's fun.  I also have G Darius on PS1 which is a great 2D shooter.  

Anyone remember Phelios from the Genesis?  I have two discs worth of Genesis ROMS but only one of them loads correctly on my Dreamcast.  They are both supposed to work.  BAH!  The second half of the alphabet is the one that doesn't work.

Are Don Pachi and Do Don Pachi available for any consoles?  Those may very well be my favorite 2D shooters in MAME.

Phelios was a MADDENING experience...one of the harder vertical shooters on the Genesis and one I couldn't finish.

THe scaling was cool when you fell of your unicorn, but the voice in the end of level intermissions was laughably bad! Gotta love that trademark Genesis garbled digitized voice!

Are Don Pachi and Do Don Pachi available for any consoles?  Those may very well be my favorite 2D shooters in MAME.

Saturn. The number of great shooters released only in Japan on the Saturn would make you sick... although they would have sold like shit pancakes over here anyway...

I was the original poster and have been following the threas - I appreciate all the suggestions. I am still undecided but the Playstation (1/2) seems to have a huge number of titles available and several 2D shooters as well. It sounds like the Dreamcast /Saturn have several quality shooters available as well but may be difficult to find.

-Scott