IGNORED

New Wii download service (not VC) coming

8th lutz

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/22/new-wii-...mpossible-missi

System 3 CEO Mark Cale, whose company is updating the Commodore 64 title Impossible Mission, has told PAL Gaming Network that a new service for downloading content on Nintendo Wii is forthcoming and that Nintendo should be making an announcement within the next two months.

"I wouldn't say Virtual Console, because they're not actually calling it the Virtual Console," he said, while suggesting that Nintendo's service will be similar to how Microsoft has set up Xbox Live. A separate Wii "Game Channel" for original content has been mentioned before by Hudson Entertainment director of marketing John Lee.

Is Nintendo considering revamping its download service or simply augmenting what's there? We certainly wouldn't be opposed to a better way of organizing or VC titles. Nothing is official and such a download system, if true, might be nixed before public unveiling.

Cale went on to say that Microsoft are "years ahead" of Sony and Nintendo regarding their ability to provide downloadable content and later added that he expects the Nintendo to "roll out their strategy" within the next two months.

I would love to see new content on the Wii.

I would like to see real arcade titles, not NES versions of arcade titles.

Demos of new Wii games would be great.

Nintendo DS downloads and demos would be wonderful. (Is this possible on the DS? I know there is some internal memory, but is there enough to download previews/games?)

Extras for existing Wii games (maybe an extra dungeon for Zelda??? add online play for Wii Sports??) I would like, and would even pay for some of them.

Nintendo DS downloads and demos would be wonderful. (Is this possible on the DS? I know there is some internal memory, but is there enough to download previews/games?)

Sure its possible. You can already download DS demos at DS download stations. Take your DS into Gamestop and give it a try.

I have not heard that you can download demo games to the DS. How does this work? Do you download it and it shows up on the main menu? How many demos can the DS hold? Are there only demos? Extra levels for New Super Mario Brothers (kind of like the e-reader cards for Super Mario 3...) would be cool. Are these demos only at a Gamestop or can I go online and get them?

Edited by Bilnick

I have not heard that you can download demo games to the DS. How does this work? Do you download it and it shows up on the main menu? How many demos can the DS hold? Are there only demos? Extra levels for New Super Mario Brothers (kind of like the e-reader cards for Super Mario 3...) would be cool. Are these demos only at a Gamestop or can I go online and get them?

This only works at a location that has a "DS download station", like a Best Buy or Gamestop. You just go in to the store, fire up your DS, pick the DS Download Play option, and you will be able to pick what game you want to download.

It is like downloading any DS game that supports download play (like a multi-player session of Tetris). That game only stays on the DS as long as you don't turn the DS off.

The games are usually just demos (like the first level or so) but give you a good chance to try before you buy. I usually get funny looks from the Gamestop employees when I download games in the store. They make me feel like I am stealing something.

If the Wii had a DS download channel, that would be awesome.