IGNORED

Edtris vs. Tetris2600?

StanJr

I have copies of both, and while I find it AMAZING that someone can so successfully translate a cool puzzle game like Tetris to the VCS, I also find that Edtris is VASTLY superior.

My main beef with Tetris2600 is the button response. Its WAY too sensitive. I hit the button, the block turns 2 maybe 3 rotations. Anybody else experience this?

Edtris also features music, which is VITAL to the Tetris Experience and the "next block" feature.

Tetris2600 has color, but lacks anything else in the way of frills.

Anybody know anything about the development of these games or have a preference?

Anybody know anything about the development of these games or have a preference?

You should look for Cubis (Supercharger version) by Eckhard Stollberg. It's missing in the AA database and a bit hard to find (legal reasons), but it's worth searching for.

You should look for Cubis (Supercharger version) by Eckhard Stollberg. It's missing in the AA database and a bit hard to find (legal reasons), but it's worth searching for.

I just spent some time playing it, and taking a bunch of screenshots so I can add it to our database later today. It plays very well! I was running in z26 so I couldn't hear the music, but I'll try it again later in my CuttleCart. I also want to see what the two player mode looks like.

Here's an image I snapped while playing:

Cubis.png

So, what are the legal reasons for it being scarce?

..Al

Trust me Al, you were very lucky for not having to listen to my poor rendition of "Those were the days". Be sure to have a finger on the mute key of your remote control when loading up the game into your Cuttle Cart. ;)

There aren't really any legal reasons for me stoping the public distribution of Cubis. When BPS was licensing out Tetris for the current generation of computers and consoles they tried to clean the market by sending warning letters to people who were selling shareware clones of Tetris. They claimed that the clones were violating against their look-and-feel rights for the game.

When I wrote Cubis I wasn't aware that such rights exist in the USA, and therefore modeled it pretty closely after the Game Boy version. Since in Germany you can be charged for the lawyer fees when they send you a warning letter, I just thought it would be better to stop the distribution of Cubis and Domino completely. Both games weren't too popular on the Stella list, and since they both needed a Supercharger to work, I wouldn't have been able to make some money from them by selling cartriges anyway.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Is there any chance Cubis could be converted to run without the Supercharger RAM?

(It's 6K)

A 4K early beta (playable) version exists. Less colors and the option screen is missing.

Domino is an Ishido clone, same problems to find it as for Cubis.

BTW: Anybody every played/found another Tetris clone called Z-Blocks?

Is there any chance Cubis could be converted to run without the Supercharger RAM?

(It's 6K)

A 4K early beta (playable) version exists. Less colors and the option screen is missing.

Can we play it? Where do we find it? Sounds AWESOME. Do you have plans to release it ever?

(It's 6K)

BTW: Anybody every played/found another Tetris clone called Z-Blocks?

I don't know what happened to Z-Blocks. The news was first posted on AtariHQ and I think it said "coming soon" but that was the last I heard about it. :?:

OK, let's see ...

Cubis is 6K and Domino (an Ishido clone with two-colour stones) is 4K. Both use the RAM feature of the Supercharger. Cubis was the first program I wrote for the VCS, so it's very ineffective and wastefull with it's RAM. I think it might be possible to do a 4K ROM version, infact I had already planned out one before I heard about the look-and-feel copyright.

To be able to release either of these games I probably would at least have to change the game rules to be less like the original. Also the code for both programs is in the format for an older assembler, which I no longer use. So getting the games into a releasable state for a cartridge is almost like a complete rewrite, and I'm not sure I'm up for that.

The 4K ROM version of Cubis is missing more than just the options screen. It's missing the options and most of gameplay as well. ;) It was more of a proof of concept for the display routine in PAL and NTSC. It plays even worse than Tetris26. I wouldn't recommend getting a copy. Besides, I thought I had asked Randy to stop selling the cartridges anyway.

I don't mind if people make copies of the ROMs for their friends, since I can't control that anyway, but I don't want the games to be distributed publicly on a website or something similar. So Albert won't be putting up the files on AtariAge, and I hope you take them down again too when all of your friends have downloaded their copy. ;)

A little note on Tetris26: Colin wrote it using PCAE on a slow 486 computer. Of couse a machine like that isn't fast enough to run a VCS emulator at full speed. That's why the controls seem to be too sensitive. They were designed to be used at a slower speed. If you reduce the framerate on your emulator, the game should play fine. ;)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I don't know what happened to Z-Blocks. The news was first posted on AtariHQ and I think it said "coming soon" but that was the last I heard about it.

I've always wondered the same thing. I read the article at Atari HQ and it seemed like a good game. In the article, it says that 500 cartridges will be shipped with color labels and manuals. The article can be found here:

http://www.atarihq.com/reviews/2600/z-blocks.html

So Albert won't be putting up the files on AtariAge, and I hope you take them down again too when all of your friends have downloaded their copy.  ;)

I will add entries to our database, though, with screenshots and some background about the games.

..Al