IGNORED

Pacman level 256 T-shirt

krisjohn

For all I know this gets posted every so often, but I just found out that ErrorWear are selling a T-Shirt with the Pacman level 256 fault printed on it.

thumb-pacman.jpg

There is no level 256 in Pac Man. Upon reaching this summit, the game simply breaks, and this is how it looks. For that added touch, we've also set the displayed score to be 3,333,360 which is the highest possible score. If you eat every dot, every ghost, and every fruit for 255 levels, this screen and this score are your rewards. Someone is even offering $100,000 to anyone who can get past this broken level.

By far the most requested shirt at Errorwear, finally unleashed in it's NINE silk screens glory. Thanks to Alex for the inspiration.

http://www.errorwear.com/shirts-all.html

http://www.errorwear.com/huge-pacman.html

heh I really don't know what to think of that quite honestly.. :roll:

Actually now that we're talking about the split screen.. remember all the half-brained zany things people suggested to get through it? Heck even in this article it states it is possible to straight blindly maneuver through it. Of course it is, but you'll still never complete the stage.

http://www.stormaster.com/RGVAC-Manuals/Jo...83/apr83-04.JPG

"These claims are baloney," retorts (Bill) Mitchell

Indeed, you can manually set the level in Mame to experiment with this screen. Since Pac-Man no longer follows some of the maze intersections on the right side, many of the "hidden" dots are inaccessable. Completely avoiding this screen (by carefully watching your score) also sounds iffy, since the score is kept in decimal counters (not binary)...i.e. a value of 255 or 256 is moot.

Since Mitchell is one of the few players that is able to reach this screen (without cheating), I'll take his word for it.

Nukey - I read about Bill Mitchell in the Twin Galaxies book. It has an added book section in the back which talks about the "big-time" players, the video olympics and the like. Interesting stuff. Where'd you get that quote from? I've enjoyed reading all that stuff - feeling like I'm back in the old arcade, stacking quarters along the display screen - waiting for my turn...

how u guys find all that stuff? it's amazing :) Now, I've been playing pacman for a few years now, and the highest score that I ever got was close to 500.000 points and it was in Ms Pacman, the fast version, how can someone score 3.000.000 in the regular pacman? man, that's something...

Osbo

how u guys find all that stuff? it's amazing :) Now, I've been playing pacman for a few years now, and the highest score that I ever got was close to 500.000 points and it was in Ms Pacman, the fast version, how can someone score 3.000.000 in the regular pacman? man, that's something...

Well it was easy! I read it in a magazine! :D If you look at that link above it's from the April 83 issue of Joystik which is the first time I had heard of such a thing. So it's been well publicized for many years as has the theoretical "perfect score". According to the older magazines the perfect score has been scored before, but I think the recent event was the first time it was ever "officially" recorded and verified.

Speaking of Pacman. Want to see an awesome "stunt" pattern for the 9th key? (it's the final difficulty level of pacman where the ghosts never turn blue again and your pacman slows down a bit). Anyway, there are lots of good efficient patterns for the 9th key up, but this one is different. It's neither efficient nor safe as a matter of fact it messes up a lot. But it's so cool! In it you pass through not one, but TWO ghosts. Also there are lots of really close calls in there. And the ending is the best of all with several more close calls and ending up right in Blinky's (the red ghosts) face! ;)

Fun 9th Key Pattern

p.s. You might need the Divx codec to watch this avi. Also it's 4.4 megs total.