IGNORED

SIO Pin Repair

Larry

I have an SIO jack on a MB with a broken #2 pin.

Has anyone ever successfully repaired an individual pin? It looks *possible* to bore out or remove the offending pin and replace it. Since it is an upper/corner pin, it is somewhat accessible. Not sure if that would ultimately be any easier than de-soldering the whole jack. (?)

Any thoughts?

-Larry

Do you know where the break occurred?

You might be able to desolder the pin from the motherboard, then pull it out the back of the plug and solder something back onto it.

Or, just replace it with a heavy duty paperclip, although soldering stainless steel has it's problems.

Do you know where the break occurred?

You might be able to desolder the pin from the motherboard, then pull it out the back of the plug and solder something back onto it.

Or, just replace it with a heavy duty paperclip, although soldering stainless steel has it's problems.

It is broken off just below the surface where the pin protrudes from its base. It's tough to get a good look, but the pin appears to be made of some type of copper alloy. (?) I've got plenty of dead drive boards around, so if I can pull the pin out the back and replace it, that might be a good option. Thanks!

-Larry

Has anyone ever successfully repaired an individual pin? It looks *possible* to bore out or remove the offending pin and replace it. Since it is an upper/corner pin, it is somewhat accessible. Not sure if that would ultimately be any easier than de-soldering the whole jack. (?)

Measure and replace the bad pin with a paper clip. Desolder only the pin that is bad. If you desolder any other pin they just get loose within the port. Make sure to find the right diameter clip and get the lengths right before cutting. Replace the missing pin into the port. Hold it in place and solder it in.

I had to do it to my 400 because I kept pulling out my 410 as a kid. I wanted to replace the whole port, but the other pins just got loose and the port would not budge. I desoldered 2 pins. The bad and a good one. Once I saw the pins falling out, it was easy to repair 1 pin at a time.

Best Electronics has replacement SIO receptacle connectors, or you can get them if you order the APE Link(not A.P.E. Atarimax disk drive emulator) multi-SIO kit. The kit includes 3 SIO (one extra) receptacle connectors. The APE kit is so cool and invaluable that I recommend just getting it instead anyway and then using one of the included SIO connectors for the repair. Best E. can be contacted at 408.243.6950 (California number) after 1:00 PM PDT.

The catalog number for the SIO receptacle connector is; CO12995 $3.50 each. The APE Link multi SIO kit catalog number is; CB101921 $21.00 each. SIO cables are extra, they come made for use with APE Link in 1 1/2 and 3 foot sizes with one SIO plug at one end(specifically used for APE Link) at $4.00 and $6.00 respectively; CAT. #'s CB101281 & CB101399. Or if you have extra SIO cables, you can just cut one in half for use with the APE Link kit (which turns it into 2 anyway).

Edited by Gunstar

• 4 weeks later...
I have an SIO jack on a MB with a broken #2 pin.

Any thoughts?

-Larry

I got this baby repaired last night. I did make a half-hearted attempt to pull the offending pin, the 90-degree bend really makes things difficult. So I got out the solder braid. I've never been too successful with solder braid, but thought I'd give it a try with a few new techniques. Long story short, the SIO jack just about jumped out of the board. Then I pulled one from a donor board and replaced it. Then I tried removing a 16-pin IC (on a 130XE) -- total success, with no lifted traces.

I'm a new fan of solder braid, especially for those SIO jacks.

-Larry