IGNORED

so, six months on . . . did the name help or hurt?

remember when the name Wii was announced? All these people saying that nintendo had shot themselves in the foot, ruined their chance, they'd never buy a system with a name like that, etc? Well, now that we're a half year in, what do you guys think of the name? Good move, bad move, doesn't matter? Do you know anyone who wouldn't buy it because of the name (other than that crazy boycott kid?)?

Just curious.

doesn't matter one way or the other. The price tag is whats selling the Nintendo. Mind you I would rather (and still do from time to time) refer to the system as the Rev. :)

Agreed, i don't think the name has anything to do with it. It's 3 parts price, 2 parts unique games, and 1 part misleading advertising. :)

remember when the name Wii was announced? Good move, bad move, doesn't matter?

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Naming the system "Wii" was a brilliant maneuver on Nintendo's part. The name was so silly that it became viral. Friends and family were telling each other, "Have you heard of the new Nintendo console? They're calling it the 'Wii' ... *snicker!*" The result was free marketing beyond Nintendo's wildest dreams. The jokes eventually got old, and Nintendo was able to market a new image for the name.

remember when the name Wii was announced? Good move, bad move, doesn't matter?

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Naming the system "Wii" was a brilliant maneuver on Nintendo's part. The name was so silly that it became viral. Friends and family were telling each other, "Have you heard of the new Nintendo console? They're calling it the 'Wii' ... *snicker!*" The result was free marketing beyond Nintendo's wildest dreams. The jokes eventually got old, and Nintendo was able to market a new image for the name.

I think you're right about that. At the price it's selling at, most people don't care about the name. But, my 14 year old still thinks it's a stupid name. So not everyone has bought into it.

But the Gamecube was cheap yet it didn't sell well.

I think the name works for some reason, it's got a modern feel to it, like 'iPod' or whatever.

Although we all associated the name Wii with 'wee' at first, I don't even think anyone thinks of wee anymore when they see or hear the name Wii now, I think they just associate it with the console, that's how it is with me anyway.

And yes, the big stir that the name obviously caused helped too, publicity is publicity.

I think the other thing that has helped the console besides the obvious Wiimote, is it's looks, it doesn't look like a toy like the Gamecube does, it looks very modern, cool, and something for anyone to enjoy. As superficial as it may sound, I think looks really do help. I know my decision on a console can be slightly swayed by looks anyway.

Edited by Ross PK

Speaking as someone who is totally hooked on the Wii--I don't care what the name is. They could name it PoopyGameThing for all I care. I just want to keep playing Zelda, get to the Wii fitness age of 20, and freaking beat Sarah and Elisa at tennis. (Well, not just beat because now with my uber-high ranking I need to completely demolish and humiliate them to get any points.)

It's the games that make it and I am hooked on them.

Edited by phaxda

I hated the name when I first heard it. In fact, I contemplated buying one of the custom-made system cases with the console's code name, the Revolution, printed on the front. However, I've since gotten over my initial disgust... like Dr. Strangelove, I've stopped worrying and learned to love the game system that's anything but a bomb. Stupid name notwithstanding.

JR

I dunno, if anyone passed on the system solely because of the name then they have bigger, more serious issues than what video game system to buy. :P I remember the days when Sony and Nintendo were going to team up to create the "Play Station" and thinking "Man that's gotta be a temporary name. Sounds kiddie!". It wouldn't have stopped me from buying it, I just thought it sounded lame...and generic.

When they announced the name I hated it....Now, I think it's okay...then again I was never crazy about "gamecube" or "playstation" or even "Xbox".....and now I find those names to be good...so maybe in another six months I'll like the name even more...

Don't know anyone who won't buy the wii (or any system) because they don't like the name...sounds strange to not buy a system becuase you don't like the name....

Edited by bdog_147

i think it actually helped. Remember the phrase bad publicity is good publicity? well its the same idea. sure a lot of dick jokes went around at nintendo's expense, but it created hype and people talked about it, good or bad. when it boils down to it, wether or not the peopel talking liked it or not had nothing to do with it, they were talking about the Wii, which is all that mattered.

I think its funny how when i first went into gamestop last nov to ask about the Wii, i blushed while saying the name as i felt kinda stupid... now its second nature, and the workers at walmart and EB etc seem equally comfortable. Looking back, the name Revolution really didnt fit.

I dunno, if anyone passed on the system solely because of the name then they have bigger, more serious issues than what video game system to buy. :P I remember the days when Sony and Nintendo were going to team up to create the "Play Station" and thinking "Man that's gotta be a temporary name. Sounds kiddie!". It wouldn't have stopped me from buying it, I just thought it sounded lame...and generic.

I thought Dreamcast was a pretty stupid name at first too.