IGNORED

Mario Party 8?

moycon

"Take, for example, a mini in which you must use the Wii remote to point a flashlight through a Luigi's Mansion-like room. The goal is to use the beam to illuminate objects and find the ghosts hiding within. Except, you don't actually have pixel-perfect pointer controls at your fingertips. Rather, you walk around the room with the Wii remote's D-Pad and you can only aim up and down with the Wii remote. Huh? Yeah - it makes almost no sense and it feels downright clunky." - IGN

theres a whole list of comments on the minigames like this in thier review that are just as embarrassing. idk.. i was looking foward to this game and have mp6 and love it. i dont buy every mario party as its just as much of a waste of money as buying madden each year. but i thought that it would be nice to have a mp game on the wii.. ah well.

i might give it a rental or something and see if i like it... god knows IGN has been near OPPOSITE on what the review of a game should be before, so ya never know.

i guess for now the unlikely favorite, a third party effort no less, rayman, will be the mulitplayer title of choice still at my house.

Edited by AtariJr

My wife still want's to get it so I'll end up finding out anyways.

IGN seemed to spend more time complaining about the lack of changes than the poor mini-games, wherease gamespot complained about the "based more on luck than skill" argument.

Basically nothing much has changed in the Mario Party formula and they threw in a handful of games that use the Wii remote. Some in a less than natural form.

I'm surprised nintendo didn't keep a closer eye on this one. Especially considering the unique nature of the Wii. Seems they've been letting their 2nd party companies get a little sloppy.

So someone looking for more unique mini-games based around the remote. Then Wario, Rayman, or Super Monkeyball may be more you're thing. I never cared much for the Wario series. The minigames are way to short for my tastes.

Hmmm That's too bad. I like the party type games since that's when I use the Wii is when company comes over but these people need something that easy to pick up and play and fun. Let me know when someone gets to try it hands on. I guess I will hold off on this purchase. IGN isn't always the best source for reviews for sure.

Oh, and no offense AtariJr, but I pretty much dis-regard your reviews of Wii games, based on you past "reviews" I'm convinced Nintendo could crap in a box and as long as it said Wii on the outside, you'd say it was awesome! :lolblue:

Hmmm That's too bad. I like the party type games since that's when I use the Wii is when company comes over but these people need something that easy to pick up and play and fun. Let me know when someone gets to try it hands on. I guess I will hold off on this purchase. IGN isn't always the best source for reviews for sure.

Oh, and no offense AtariJr, but I pretty much dis-regard your reviews of Wii games, based on you past "reviews" I'm convinced Nintendo could crap in a box and as long as it said Wii on the outside, you'd say it was awesome! :lolblue:

then you're blind.

"i dont buy every mario party as its just as much of a waste of money as buying madden each year. but i thought that it would be nice to have a mp game on the wii.. ah well." .... ah yes... hear the raving fan boy in me... go..... rent this... game... that ive only bought 2 games in the whole series... and sold one. yea ... dont buy it.... nintendo loves it went you rent a game you dont think youll like instead of buying it :roll:

ive already said bad things now about mario party 8, said rayman bored me in the beginnign and wished i didnt buy it, said that COD3 was horrid, said ive had issues with VC games freezing on me, and that elebits while fun i havent played in ages as it was kinda shallow... and the last time i played metal slug was ... well... when i bought it. lets see ive also bitched about how there are too many games out there that are just ps2 ports, and that dbz is the only ps2 port ive played that's any good.

yea... very biased indeed.

ps: if i talk about a game on this site for an extensive amount of time, its because i like it... why woudl i talk about a game that bored me to tears? but thank you for once again making a snide and rude comment based on absolutely nothing. i really appreciate coming home from work to hear you slams on a personality that doesnt fit mine.

ill go back to playing excite truck, a game i love, that after all this time... all these months of game releases, still is the game that holds my attention. :roll:

Edited by AtariJr

IGN has gotten pretty lame lately. Ever since the DS came out their reviews have just gotten worse. They whine and complain about little things. Almost like a bunch of babies. Either that or wannabe game developers.

Agreed.

I still check out that site for the pre-release game video and news, but pretty much ignore the reviews. They particularily seem to dislike Nintendo.

The game is overall pretty decent. Much funner as multiplayer than one player, OF COURSE. I like the use of the controller on the minigames....but I still prefer the GC controller-style minigames from the previous entries in the series.

Some of the games don't seem to respond that well and you'll find yourself cussing the screen.

And the computer always seems to land on the GOOD spaces and you always seem to land on the SHIT spaces. I know luck is a factor big time....but damn.

IGN has gotten pretty lame lately. Ever since the DS came out their reviews have just gotten worse. They whine and complain about little things. Almost like a bunch of babies. Either that or wannabe game developers.

Agreed.

I still check out that site for the pre-release game video and news, but pretty much ignore the reviews. They particularily seem to dislike Nintendo.

yea, theyve gotten better in recent times , but they used to be very anti nintendo for sure. gamespot seems to be the anti nintendo review site now as they dont get any exclusives. i tried switching to gamefaqs for reviews as at first they seemed more honest, but that seems to have gone down hill as well. ah well, for the most part i take what i think is true from reviews and ultimately make my own decision. god knows i liked games better than they seem to give them credit for, like red steel... and loathed others they think are the best things since sliced bread.

Yeah I don't think Nintendo payed IGN enough money to give the game a good review. :P

Just a quick rundown.

Wii specific controls- The game sticks to the Wii remote and so far I've yet to see it use the nun-chuck.

Mii's on yer Wii - The Mii's are only used in the Extra's Zone. Tacked on? Maybe. But alot of publishers where complaining that nintendo has been slow to provide Mii related tools. So I guess Hudson didn't have access to these till the last second.

The widescreen issues on an HDTV do exist. Big friggin whooooopy doo.

The game did require a system update for some reason.

Party Tent - Compete on party boards in either Battle Royale (1-4), Teams (1-4), or Duel Battle (1-2).

Rules - No of turns (10-50 turns, intervals of 5). Bonus Stars (on or off), Minigame set (all minigames, or easy minigames only). Computer difficulty levels (easy-very hard). Handicap Settings (0-3 stars).

I never really played Mario Party 7 that much and don't even have 6. Missed getting it. So I don't know if much was added or taken away. I do know that no "microphone" minigames exist

IGN's biggest complaint was the randomness of the game. It's a friggin board game guys. Get a clue. Anyways one can easily tabulate other things (like coins or battles won) to determine a winner on their own if they want. A second complaint was having to wait for computer players. Well doh! It's a party game. Just like bowling, waiting is part of the experience. The third was lack of Wii specific use. The only problem I saw was lack of use of the Nunchuck. I'm wondering if Nintendo decided to do this for simplicity reasons. Connecting and reconnecting the thing can disrupt game flow.

As for the mini games. Well it's ultimately a matter of taste, really. As for controller sensitivity. I felt it was a tad sluggish. But I'd take that over too sensitive which some of the other Party style games sometimes have.

So really. You're best bet is to give it a rent. It's certainly not anything revolutionary but it still is Mario Party.

Edited by Shannon

Yeah I don't think Nintendo payed IGN enough money to give the game a good review. :P

Just a quick rundown.

Wii specific controls- The game sticks to the Wii remote and so far I've yet to see it use the nun-chuck.

Mii's on yer Wii - The Mii's are only used in the Extra's Zone. Tacked on? Maybe. But alot of publishers where complaining that nintendo has been slow to provide Mii related tools. So I guess Hudson didn't have access to these till the last second.

The widescreen issues on an HDTV do exist. Big friggin whooooopy doo.

The game did require a system update for some reason.

Party Tent - Compete on party boards in either Battle Royale (1-4), Teams (1-4), or Duel Battle (1-2).

Rules - No of turns (10-50 turns, intervals of 5). Bonus Stars (on or off), Minigame set (all minigames, or easy minigames only). Computer difficulty levels (easy-very hard). Handicap Settings (0-3 stars).

I never really played Mario Party 7 that much and don't even have 6. Missed getting it. So I don't know if much was added or taken away. I do know that no "microphone" minigames exist

IGN's biggest complaint was the randomness of the game. It's a friggin board game guys. Get a clue. Anyways one can easily tabulate other things (like coins or battles won) to determine a winner on their own if they want. A second complaint was having to wait for computer players. Well doh! It's a party game. Just like bowling, waiting is part of the experience. The third was lack of Wii specific use. The only problem I saw was lack of use of the Nunchuck. I'm wondering if Nintendo decided to do this for simplicity reasons. Connecting and reconnecting the thing can disrupt game flow.

As for the mini games. Well it's ultimately a matter of taste, really. As for controller sensitivity. I felt it was a tad sluggish. But I'd take that over too sensitive which some of the other Party style games sometimes have.

So really. You're best bet is to give it a rent. It's certainly not anything revolutionary but it still is Mario Party.

thanks for the insite. im glad the microphone games are gone, those were really annoying to be honest with you. i agree that a lot of IGN's comments were silly like the not liking the general properties of mario party and how its not changed. youd think that after the 8th game theyd get a clue and realize besides the minigames not much changes in these games...

anywho, im actaully thinking about waiting for mario party 9 as at least the games would utilize the wiimote better (like the spotlight in luigi's mansion, using the dpad instead of the pointer function). im thinking with better wiimote support then it would be worth buying. its just a shame as i beat rayman, warioware hoenstly doesnt interest me as the one of the gc hardly got any play time, and there are really so little GOOD minigame games out there for the system. im thinking about getting monkey ball, but i dont think thats the type of game i want.. i really wanted somthing more like rayman or mp. maybe ill just end up getting rayman 2 instead, just remembered thats coming out soon.

I think I'll grab it as I haven't played a Mario Party since 4 and my wife is still upset that I sold the Cube and that game years ago. I don't expect 8 to be revolutionary but at least it will have fun games and crap games... that's part of the challenge/fun of the game.

The widescreen issue is a non-issue for me as I play on an SDTV anyway.

I think this version will be the one I play heavily in the single player mode (something I never really knew about in Mario Party 4) to unlock everything etc.

As for the Mii integration... sure it may be tacked on but that's extra value for me (or is the Mii?) as it was summed up best in the Nintendo Power magazine. Something to the effect of: "Are your Mii's retired from Wii Sports and Wii Played out? Then bring them to the Party and show Mario who's the best" (Not an exact quote but that was the idea)

I think I will pick it up next week...

We've been playing the game a fair amount the last couple days. I can kinda see what they mean by the Wii stuff feels tacked on. The question is. Was it tacked on? Or just a more cautious us of the Wii motion controls. Those who want a more Wii spefic version may have to wait till Mario Party 9. But overall it has not hampered our enjoyment.

I'm gonna try 7 and see how well it compares in general gameplay and mini games.

After trying Mario Party 7. I'd have to say that I kinda like the mini games on that better than the ones of the new one. Anyways it just all boils down to 8 being another Mario Party game and whether you like the mini games in it or not.

You'll probably find more innovation in games like Rayman and Super Monkey Ball. But then they are a little limited when it comes to multiple player games (3 or more).

Edited by Shannon

just got this today (see my other thread), and my mom and i are having a blast with this game. i can see how some games dont seem quite right with the controlls, but MANY of the games seem to have been made for the wii (the cliff balancing tight rope game and the jump rope are good examples for sure). my mom doesnt like any game she has to steer on, shes just not getting it. ah well, its fun at least, and it reminds me why this game always annoyed me as you can be the best gamer in the world but its all luck getting to the stars before someone else really....

having fun, and i would recommend it. maybe not for 50, but i got it for 29 bucks... definately worth that ^_^

btw.. it says you need a nunckuck.. but we played a whole round of this so far with just the wiimote... anyone find any nunchuck games yet?

Edited by AtariJr

I read the Nintendo Power review and their article on the game... no mention of nunchuck controls... I think they wanted to make this available to everyone and making it a remote only game would encourage more 'non-gamers' to give it a try.

hey, im all for that.. and its great and all.. just dont put a picture of a nunchuch on the back of the box then :ponder:

ooook , im finding that IGN has posted some things wrong about these games... like they said that in the search light one you cant use the wiimote to point yoru flashlight. Uh, you DO. you just use the dpad to move around your character.. whats wrong with that? little things like the baseball one.. i know they said it didnt feel like wii sports and wasnt fun.. its not meant to feel like wii sports, its about hitting them at the right time and as many as you can.. not get the best type of hit for a homerun.

sigh.. you know, its sad, i keep realizing that IGN doesnt know how to review games, but i keep giving them the benifit of the doubt as some of the things they say STILL shock me. at least they have good news and exclusives (video, interviews, pics...). :ponder:

like they said that in the search light one you cant use the wiimote to point yoru flashlight. Uh, you DO. you just use the dpad to move around your character.. whats wrong with that? little things like the baseball one.. i know they said it didnt feel like wii sports and wasnt fun.. its not meant to feel like wii sports, its about hitting them at the right time and as many as you can.. not get the best type of hit for a homerun.

Hmmm What review are you reading?

Here is what IGN they said about the light game: http://wii.ign.com/articles/792/792495p1.html

Rather, you walk around the room with the Wii remote's D-Pad and you can only aim up and down with the Wii remote. Huh? Yeah - it makes almost no sense and it feels downright clunky.

Is that not right?

Here is what they say about baseball...

Many of the games in Mario Party 8 are fun, though. Extremely simple as the mechanic is - you simply swing the controller - the title's baseball challenge feels good.

LOL What are you doing? Making up reasons to rip on IGN??!!

like they said that in the search light one you cant use the wiimote to point yoru flashlight. Uh, you DO. you just use the dpad to move around your character.. whats wrong with that? little things like the baseball one.. i know they said it didnt feel like wii sports and wasnt fun.. its not meant to feel like wii sports, its about hitting them at the right time and as many as you can.. not get the best type of hit for a homerun.

Hmmm What review are you reading?

Here is what IGN they said about the light game: http://wii.ign.com/articles/792/792495p1.html

Rather, you walk around the room with the Wii remote's D-Pad and you can only aim up and down with the Wii remote. Huh? Yeah - it makes almost no sense and it feels downright clunky.

Is that not right?

Here is what they say about baseball...

Many of the games in Mario Party 8 are fun, though. Extremely simple as the mechanic is - you simply swing the controller - the title's baseball challenge feels good.

LOL What are you doing? Making up reasons to rip on IGN??!!

well boy is my face red, i should read my own damn comments ^_^. i forgot about the baseball one, and i swear to got it said that you aim with the dpad and not the wiimote. sorry bout that. on a slightly related note, ive been judging the reader scores. usually if they are way off it usually means thier review was pretty off. ironically enough though IGN's reviews are pretty similar to that of the press. kinda makes you wonder who they emply. Sorry for the mix up though ^_^, still dont think its worth the mid 5 score they gave it. :)

well boy is my face red, i should read my own damn comments ^_^. i forgot about the baseball one, and i swear to got it said that you aim with the dpad and not the wiimote. sorry bout that. on a slightly related note, ive been judging the reader scores. usually if they are way off it usually means thier review was pretty off. ironically enough though IGN's reviews are pretty similar to that of the press. kinda makes you wonder who they emply. Sorry for the mix up though ^_^, still dont think its worth the mid 5 score they gave it. :)

Yeah for the most part I ignore if IGN gives a game a low score. Like BulletWitch, for as many issues as I think the game had (and I'm probably nit-picking on it because I was looking for great things from that game and it wasted a lot of potential) I still don't think it deserved the score IGN gave it.

Well I still have to finish playing thru Mario Pary 7. But I've noticed at least two boards in 8 which seem to take a different approach to game strategy. One requires you to invest money in hotels (ala monopoly) to get starts. The other requires you to "steal" stars from the other players.

Plus it seems like they've removed any way to randomly "steal" someone stars on the other boards. Whereas in 7 I had a couple situations where a random even cause me to lose stars to another player.