IGNORED

Power light

Guitari

Hello fellow lynx maniacs,

I have a small prob with my lynx 2, the power light either wont work at all or flashes on and off during play.

I got the unit from Telegames in 2001 and I think it was a refurb of some sort.

OK so I know there's HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of posts on here about fixing lynxes. I did search on 'Power light' but cant seem to find what I want.

I know about Matthias' repair site here http://www.domin-connect.de/Atari/Lynx/lyn...description.htm

But I just wanted to know, before I attempt the repair, if anyone else has had this prob and how they dealt with it and what they found there - I'm guessing that inside there's a little L.E.D bulb - am I right?

Also I have observed the same effect by using batteries as using the power adapter.

Thoughts anyone...??

Cheers,

Christian

Does it blink when you shake the unit, or press the joypad, or flex/twist the casing a bit? If so, it's most likely just a broken solder connection to the LED, which should be a very easy fix.

None of these things happen but it does blink if I apply light pressure to the light itself through the casing with my thumb.

I agree that it's a broken connection. Looks like I need to get the thing open to have a look!

Ok so heres the latest - I have dismantled my lynx. It seems the power light is attached to the flimsy circuitry film with some sort of yellow sticky tape (I'm not sure if underneath it's soldered or just held by the tape)

I fired it up outside of the casing!! and found that when i squeeze the taped power light it illuminates - so Im guessing all it needs is more pressure. I might just tape it down with insulating tape to the black surround that the circuitry film is attached to (not pictured) real tight so theres enough pressure to hold the light in place..

see attached pics.

Still not heard if anyone else has had this prob - am i really the first!

post-7413-1180899433_thumb.jpg

post-7413-1180899476_thumb.jpg

The real trouble with this is the yellow tape - well it's not tape really i wouldnt have thought - whatever it is is really stuck down hard, so I'm a bit afraid of attempting to remove it in case I damage the circuitry. Thats why I might opt for holding the thing down with insulating tape rather than re-soldering. Re-soldering would be ideal...hmmmm....in two minds....

Be extremely careful with that flex-circuit! The stuff is quite fragile and not very repairable.

I recommend that you find a way to use something like a few small pieces of adhesive foam weatherstripping tape to apply pressure to the leads and flex-circuit tracks on both sides of the LED; do not try to remove the yellow tape or solder to the flex-circuit.

Be extremely careful with that flex-circuit! The stuff is quite fragile and not very repairable.

I recommend that you find a way to use something like a few small pieces of adhesive foam weatherstripping tape to apply pressure to the leads and flex-circuit tracks on both sides of the LED; do not try to remove the yellow tape or solder to the flex-circuit.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, I agree its very fragile. I actually bound it round extremely tight with insulating tape to the plastic surround that it sits on - fired it up while still outside of casing, got a small electric shock!, and found that it worked perfectly. So, I assembled the whole unit again but I'm back to square one, the tape wouldnt have come loose but obviously isnt man enough for the job. So my next line of thought is to solder it actually. I will have a look at this weather stripping tape.

The only other thing I can do is get a non-working lynx and replace the whole flex-circuit. that might have to be the way to go.

Regards

Christian

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, I agree its very fragile. I actually bound it round extremely tight with insulating tape to the plastic surround that it sits on - fired it up while still outside of casing, got a small electric shock!, and found that it worked perfectly. So, I assembled the whole unit again but I'm back to square one, the tape wouldnt have come loose but obviously isnt man enough for the job. So my next line of thought is to solder it actually. I will have a look at this weather stripping tape.

The only other thing I can do is get a non-working lynx and replace the whole flex-circuit. that might have to be the way to go.

Regards

Christian

or ya could trace the flex back to the board and solder there.

My Lynx has had this problem since I got it in '92. Most of the time the light is off. Every once in a while it'll come on when I power up but typically it'll go out after a few minutes of play time. Never had it blink on me though. I never thought to fix it although I have had my unit apart a couple times to clean the controller contacts. It would be my luck to destroy a working Lynx trying to fix something that doesn't affect gameplay.