IGNORED

Adventure II Limited Edition for $89.95!

Aegis

Dudes, Joe is a business man, this is what he does. There is nothing wrong with buying an extra copy to sell it, this is America, remember? Al got paid, Ron got paid and everyone else can still buy it. I don't see what the big deal is. :?

I tell you what is scummy, the 95% chance that Hozer got a copy and is making repros of it by now. :roll: Yet, there are still a bunch of numbnuts here, who keep buying shit from him. :|

I wonder how much #10 is worth? LOL :roll:

Dudes, Joe is a business man, this is what he does. There is nothing wrong with buying an extra copy to sell it, this is America, remember? Al got paid, Ron got paid and everyone else can still buy it. I don't see what the big deal is. :?

I tell you what is scummy, the 95% chance that Hozer got a copy and is making repros of it by now. :roll: Yet, there are still a bunch of numbnuts here, who keep buying shit from him. :|

#250 for $250? :ponder:

I did limit the number of copies per person to two. Does disgust me a bit that they immediately turned around and sold at least one of them for $90.

..Al

Al, what did you think they would do with the second copy?

I did limit the number of copies per person to two. Does disgust me a bit that they immediately turned around and sold at least one of them for $90.

..Al

Al, what did you think they would do with the second copy?

Sell it, of course, but I didn't expect to see it in his store this soon, nor at a $90 price point. By letting him buy two copies, that's one less copy someone could have bought it at $50, someone who might have played the game instead of buying it with the sole intent of nearly doubling the price and then reselling it. Am I surprised? No, of course not. Does it bother me that much? No, since that's what happens with items like this and it certainly isn't worth getting angry over. People who are simply interested in playing the game can still buy a copy with just about everything but the box from our store for only $40. I can, however, in the future put a limit of one-to-a-customer for releases like this, although I don't foresee doing this again anytime soon (that is, a limited, numbered release of a game). The main goal was to get these numbered versions into the hands of those who waited so patiently for the game to make it a more special release for those people.

Makes me wonder how many copies I could have sold at $90 though.. :ponder:

..Al

Makes me wonder how many copies I could have sold at $90 though.. :ponder:

One time, I was talking to Jay of 4jays, and he mentioned buying Bounty Bob from Best Electronics in the old days for $40 or so,

and how ripped-off he felt at the time. "I would have a bought a couple dozen if I'd have known the future" :sad:

limited or not, if every 5200 Adventure II were sold at $50 in a box indefinately, this sort of scalpping would much less likely ever have happened. Of course that's being unrealistic with printing cost and all but I guess a box do make all the difference for a game this special to a collector and/or those who just want to play it.

Maybe a print run of 1500 boxes next time? And never disclose to the public how many boxes are left until it's almost depleated, just to discourage anybody anticipating a shortage and buying up to resell.

And reserve about %10 of that for shows like the MGC :D

One question: Will Hozer pay royalties to the authors for every copy he sells??? (I can guess the answer) Also, can he legally do this? After all this is copyrighted material. I take it he does not get permission to make/sell copies?

tjb

I thought Hozer only made 2600 games? I never seen a 5200 Hozer game.

He doesn't, but who knows. Honestly I don't mind saying I've bought from Hozer. I've yet to be offered any games which are currently in production/available or where the author is even involved in the community anymore and gives a crap about royalties. Thats not to say he isn't doing it, but I've yet to see it.

He says he does it not for profit but to allow gamers to enjoy the games without paying ridiculous amounts on ebay. Based on his prices, and from what I know of the cost of a board, empty cart, and the time it takes to burn a cart, he's making next to zero profit. Now, if he *does* make repros of current games and stiffs the author of royalties then that's wrong, and it *is* scummy. That said though, what he does for little or no profit pales in comparison to the vultures like this guy selling a game 2 weeks after its release for 100% profit.

What's worse for the community? Burning a repro and selling it on Ebay for $100, $150, ***$200*** bucks just for prue profit? Buying a limited release game with the intent or brokering it off solely for the $$ when a true gamer could have bought it at the true price to actually *enjoy* the game? Or burning an old Atari R8-10 like Quadrun or Crazy Climber or Activision proto like Kabobber within a few pennies of the cost so that ppl can enjoy playing the game on a real Atari?

I'd really love for one day for BOTH sides of the Hozer debate to be spoken here aloud. That hasn't happened. I'm not saying he's 100% angel either, what he states happened, and what many AA members here say are 2 different things. But that's a discussion for another thread, and it's not my place to defend Hozer either.

Still...business or not, America or not, what this "Joe" is doing is seen by many as scummy as well. I am one of those people.

Just my two cents.

When the 8-bit Adventure II cart comes out there is a good chance I will sell my 5200 LE and buy the 8-bit cart instead because I would very much prefer to play the game on my computer instead of the 5200, which I am not a big fan of due to the controller issue.

Ditto for Me. Might make it a "Pack-in" with the whole 5200. Wico joysticks and keypads and all.

OK, I guess I'll chime in here. I hope people don't get the wrong idea about Joe from Atrai2600.com, although people may not like his Adventure 2 flip I have personally sold him 2600 and NES games and let me tell you nobody that owns a buisness has ever given me such fair trade prices. I saw him re list the games and they were seriously 20% or less of a mark up. With something as unstable as Atari prices that is very fair. I sold him a CBG for $210 which he re sold at $240 I beleive. That is a VERY fair turn around for an online buisness, most offer 50% of what they will sell it for at best. I guess what I am saying is even though he is a buisness man he is a very fair one and does not take advantage of people.

As for Hozer, I have never purchased any homebrews from him but I never asked so I don't know if he is still doing that. I have over the last several years (long before I knew about these forums) I purchased a total of maybe 100 repros of rare games and proto's. His price was ultra cheap ($11 or $16 per repro with a label and free shipping plus a buck of each cart I bought if I bought ten or more)and I too don't beleive he made a ton of cash of me. Just my 2 cents :)

Easy fix, no limited edtions. Keep producing identical units forever and only adjust the price for inflation.

Mainly I did the limited edition for the many people who pre-ordered the game--it was never part of the original plan. I know that people are going to turn around and resell the game, no real surprises there. If I ever do this again I will probably only allow one copy per individual and perhaps exclude known dealers and vendors from purchasing copies to at least give everyone a fair shake at getting the game at a reasonable price.

..Al

Ahh, but then people would bitch, "But I want one to play and one to keep mint", and the dealer would price it at $150 because it was harder to obtain. I think high blood pressure is inevitable when dealing with collectors :)

Not really. One "boxed" version to keep mint, and one without a box (cart only) to play. Sounds simple enough to me.

Easy fix, no limited edtions. Keep producing identical units forever and only adjust the price for inflation.

Mainly I did the limited edition for the many people who pre-ordered the game--it was never part of the original plan. I know that people are going to turn around and resell the game, no real surprises there. If I ever do this again I will probably only allow one copy per individual and perhaps exclude known dealers and vendors from purchasing copies to at least give everyone a fair shake at getting the game at a reasonable price.

..Al

Ahh, but then people would bitch, "But I want one to play and one to keep mint", and the dealer would price it at $150 because it was harder to obtain. I think high blood pressure is inevitable when dealing with collectors :)

Not really. One "boxed" version to keep mint, and one without a box (cart only) to play. Sounds simple enough to me.

Yes really.

"I want color instructions with the bare cart"

"The bare one should be almost free, because the programmer is already getting a single-user royalty from me for the boxed one"

"I'm the programmer and I'm pissed because people are selling their bare carts on ebay and I don't get a royalty from seller or buyer"

"I bought a boxed one on ebay but it was a bare cart with a color copy of the box and instructions, what's AA doing to prevent this?"

Well it sounds like regardless of which route is taken people are gonna complain. So just stick to the 1 cart (with box) per buyer rule and tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine if they complain.

Simple. :P

Edited by Shannon

The only thing I will add to this is that the lack of a box is one of the main reasons I don't buy more homebrew games. The numbering and such (maybe a bonus item or two) is fine for limited editions, but without something to put on my shelf next to my vintage titles, the thrill of ownership is diminished. I won't buy a used Game Boy game for $5 if it doesn't have a box, so it's hard for me to pay $40 for a game (especially with all that stuff) and no box to put it in.

I realize that boxes are probably the most annoying and time consuming part of a classic game project, but I feel that they make a package complete, even more than maps, magnets, etc.

The only thing I will add to this is that the lack of a box is one of the main reasons I don't buy more homebrew games. The numbering and such (maybe a bonus item or two) is fine for limited editions, but without something to put on my shelf next to my vintage titles, the thrill of ownership is diminished. I won't buy a used Game Boy game for $5 if it doesn't have a box, so it's hard for me to pay $40 for a game (especially with all that stuff) and no box to put it in.

I realize that boxes are probably the most annoying and time consuming part of a classic game project, but I feel that they make a package complete, even more than maps, magnets, etc.

I agree. Also, a box helps to keep the cart and all the extras from getting shelf and user wear and tear. Plus, presentation sells! Edited by espire8

• 2 weeks later...
Some ebayer is trying to flip one for $99.95 now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-5200-Adventure-I...1QQcmdZViewItem

Look at the lovely bent manual. Oh, and nice total cut n paste job from the AA store description!

The "bent" manual is normal. It's just a bit of curl on the corners, which is a result of the heavy toner on the glossy paper and the very high temperatures inside the printer to fuse the toner to the paper.

..Al

Some ebayer is trying to flip one for $99.95 now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-5200-Adventure-I...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oops, someone found my auction!

JUST KIDDING!

I wish I had a boxed copy. Had I known I was going to the MGC, I would have postponed my ADVII order and bought a boxed one there. At least I think they were boxed.

Oh well, my copy just arrived in the mail. Too bad I cant play it yet.... Waiting on a RF switch to come. Looks fun, though!

Make a 5200 synthcart.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH