IGNORED

WINTER GAMES"FIGURE SKATING?

Rik

Just something i noticed last night.I downloaded an old commercial for the 7800 entitled"ATARI 7800 1986"on YOUTUBE.It showed "winter games',and it showed a FIGURE SKATER TWIRLING ON ONE LEG,on the tv screen display.On the game box for WINTER GAMES,it clearly shows a female figure skater,also on the game manual as well.There is NO FIGURE SKATING event in WINTER GAMES,rather its "SPEED SKATING".Looks to me like they changed the "FIGURE SKATING"to "SPEED SKATING"at the last minute.

Just something i noticed last night.I downloaded an old commercial for the 7800 entitled"ATARI 7800 1986"on YOUTUBE.It showed "winter games',and it showed a FIGURE SKATER TWIRLING ON ONE LEG,on the tv screen display.On the game box for WINTER GAMES,it clearly shows a female figure skater,also on the game manual as well.There is NO FIGURE SKATING event in WINTER GAMES,rather its "SPEED SKATING".Looks to me like they changed the "FIGURE SKATING"to "SPEED SKATING"at the last minute.

I just downloaded that commercial 2 nights ago too. Weird coincidence. Must be newly uploaded or something. I was wondering about that too. It looked pretty decent, but then, who'd want to play figure skating, the most boring and most easily rigged of olympic sports outside of "Ice Dancing"?

Edited by Atarifever

I definitely remember Speed Skating as an event but not figure skating

There are seven events overall: Hot Dog, Biathlon, two forms of Figure Skating, Speed Skating, Ski Jump and Bobsleigh.

Ha ha,very funny indeed,there are 4 events in 7800 winter games,SKI JUMP,BOBSLED,BIATHLON,SPEED SKATING.

Edited by Rik

Ha ha,very funny indeed,there are 4 events in 7800 winter games,SKI JUMP,BOBSLED,BIATHLON,SPEED SKATING.

I was talking about the original home computer versions :P

They just couldn't fit all of that into a cartridge...

I definitely remember Speed Skating as an event but not figure skating

There are seven events overall: Hot Dog, Biathlon, two forms of Figure Skating, Speed Skating, Ski Jump and Bobsleigh.

I think he means in the computer versions that preceded the 7800 port

The link is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS-5gwFUeH0

Looking at the Winter Games and Winter Games alternate binaries under a hex editor, there is only one association for the string "skat", and that's for speed skating.

So, the text for the event didn't appear in the main menu. But, maybe it exists in there somewhere.

I could always run a sprite-check.

But, I don't think that makes sense.

Look at Impossible Mission. It's different from the 7800 version. The rocks in the wall are different.

And, the graphics on the bottom-right are incorrect (i.e. a "?" i nstead of the "Off" symbol").

So, these are either versions from other systems, or early prototypes.

I thought I had a thread a long time ago about a 7800 commercial that had different rocks for Impossible Mission, and someone replied that they were from the C64 version. Is this the same case (maybe someone can find that old thread)?

-John

I was talking about the original home computer versions :P

They just couldn't fit all of that into a cartridge...

Oh ,okay then,whew,! for a minute there, i thought what the hell version do i have?

Well they could, they just didn't. :-)

I should have phrased that better... I meant really to add on the end "without creating a new size of cartridge bigger than any other made so far".

Winter Games runs to 128k and the largest 7800 games were 144k... hardly enough space to add another event really, you'd most likely need 192k or more for the full set of events.

Edited by Mayhem

Winter Games runs to 128k and the largest 7800 games were 144k... hardly enough space to add another event really, you'd most likely need 192k or more for the full set of events.

I think a POKEY would also be required for the figure-skating event, or else the Waltz of the Flowers would sound really bad.

I think a POKEY would also be required for the figure-skating event, or else the Waltz of the Flowers would sound really bad.

Like that's ever stopped them before :)

Well they could, they just didn't. :-)

I should have phrased that better... I meant really to add on the end "without creating a new size of cartridge bigger than any other made so far".

Tramiel should have done that anyway. Nintendo and Sega had games on the market that were 256K and 512K in size. Too damn cheap.

All I wanna know now is where is the proto with gay skating, I mean figure skating on it?

Just because they wear skin tight sequined outfits and skate to show tunes, doesn't mean they're gay :roll:

They do the sport often enough to be olympic athletes I was just assuming it would make them "happy" to be doing so. :ponder: :P ;)

Figure skating, SkyFox, completely Impossible Mission, and "superb sound" - no offense, guys, but that commercial made me want to stand up and cheer

...for the NES.... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwVHIqW4Xf4

There, feel better now? ROB helps with the toughest challanges... of Gyromite. And wait until you play the "action packed" Hogan's Alley.

And hey, in case Hogan's Alley, Gyromite, and Duck Hunt weren't exciting enough once, here they are again!

Edited by Atarifever

All I wanna know now is where is the proto with gay skating, I mean figure skating on it?

Just because they wear skin tight sequined outfits and skate to show tunes, doesn't mean they're gay :roll:

Exactly,i wouldnt say ELVIS STOJKO is gay ,nothing wrong with men dressing fancy,in sport and in everyday life!

Edited by Rik