IGNORED

Rediscovering the Brick

Lord Thag

I've had a Lynx ever since high school when I stumbled upon the Toys R Us clearance sale. I got several games with it, the only decent one being Shadow of the Beast. I played it for a month and forgot about it. I've had the thing sitting on a shelf for years, and have aquired a few games since, but I never really messed with the Lynx much.

Just recently, I came upon a large stack of games for it, and I started playing around with the old brick again. Funny thing is, I can't put it down now. I never realized how many great games there were for this system, particularly some of the arcade ports. I can't believe I've missed out on this system for as long as I have. I'm really enjoying titles like Qix, Rampage, Xybots, Rygar and the like. I'm impressed by how accurate some of these ports are, many of which are better than their console brethren. I'm also impressed by the ginourmous size of the thing, and the weird looks you get when playing the thing in public. This sucker is the Hummer of handhelds, huge, impractical, yet strangely compelling.

So, I guess you'll be seing me poking around in here as well as the other forums. I'm planning on getting a few more games soon. Anyone care to tell me how the songbird titles Remnant and Cyber Virus are? They look neat. Are they worth the $40?

• Like 1

I've had a Lynx ever since high school when I stumbled upon the Toys R Us clearance sale. I got several games with it, the only decent one being Shadow of the Beast. I played it for a month and forgot about it. I've had the thing sitting on a shelf for years, and have aquired a few games since, but I never really messed with the Lynx much.

Just recently, I came upon a large stack of games for it, and I started playing around with the old brick again. Funny thing is, I can't put it down now. I never realized how many great games there were for this system, particularly some of the arcade ports. I can't believe I've missed out on this system for as long as I have. I'm really enjoying titles like Qix, Rampage, Xybots, Rygar and the like. I'm impressed by how accurate some of these ports are, many of which are better than their console brethren. I'm also impressed by the ginourmous size of the thing, and the weird looks you get when playing the thing in public. This sucker is the Hummer of handhelds, huge, impractical, yet strangely compelling.

So, I guess you'll be seing me poking around in here as well as the other forums. I'm planning on getting a few more games soon. Anyone care to tell me how the songbird titles Remnant and Cyber Virus are? They look neat. Are they worth the $40?

Cybervirus is a great game and has many fun missions to complete. As it's one of the few Lynx games with a coherent storyline and not meant to be played in 5-10 minute bursts, like most of the arcade titles, it's one of the only representations of "modern gaming" for the Lynx, and well worth getting.

For my money, though, Loopz is essential, and especially so if you enjoy arcade games and puzzlers. Carl bought the rights to the excellent title and polished it up for release, so it's now a bona fide Songbird release.

The games that you already have are all quality titles, but they're really considered to be the second-tier Lynx arcade titles. If you really want to see what the Lynx can do, be sure to get Klax, Rampart, Joust, Lemmings, Blue Lightning, Checkered Flag, Alpine Games, Warbirds, Electrocop, Slime World, Robotron, and Xenopobe, along with the aforementioned Songbird games. You won't be disappointed. :)

Which Lynx do you have?

Whichever lynx you have - get hold of the other one! I have a lynx 2 and one day shopping in Melbourne I bought a stack of games and asked if I could have the lynx 1 thrown in for free - and the guy said that would be ok! I get a lot of fun playing with both! There's more functionalities on the lynx 2 but the lynx 1 (or lynx classic) is also a real treat (and it's an even bigger brick!!)

Cheers

Christian

Thanks for the info everyone! In answer to your questions, I have two Lynx model IIs, and about twenty five games. I do have some of the other titles mentioned (just getting around to playing them actually). I have Warbirds (which is awesome), Robotron (so so), and some of the others. Slime World, which I just found the other day, is absolutely amazing. Talk about your unremembered classics! This game would give Super Metroid a run for it's money, and that's high praise. I'd love to check out the multiplayer on it. I just finished the first mission, and if that is the small easy one, than the other must be monstrously big. Fantastic game with a dumb title, which is probably why it wasn't successful.

Xenophobe is my #1 most wanted title right now. I've always loved that game. I've heard for years that the Lynx port is tops, so I'm really looking forward to getting it.

And I did read those reviews at TAT, Gregory. Good stuff, I've always enjoyed the reviews at your site. One of these days, I'll have to write a few more reviews for it. I did a few 5200 ones a couple of years ago.

If you like puzzle games get Chip's Challenge. I remember I bought this when it was new, and I was sharing a house with a bunch of friends. We had races to see who could solve the next level first. Lots of fun. I should dig that game up again.

I actually wasn't especially find of Remnant. Haven't played Cybervirus, I really should pick that up.

I sorta put down my Lynx for awhile once the DS and PSP came out. I think it really took that many years to come up with a credible portable after the Lynx (TG Express notwithstanding, but if you think the Lynx eats batteries...) Just picked it up again this weekend actually to check out an extra I was trading away. It really is a great system with great games.

Eric

I ordered Chips Challenge from the AA store awhile back, and finally got around to opening and playing it. You're right, it's an excellent puzzle game. Gates of Zendocon is pretty fun too, and I like all the little graphical touches. It's a bit easy, though. Roadblasters I have yet to try. Scrapyard Dog seems to be pretty well done too, and better than the 7800 version.

Crystal Mines is pretty fun, sort of like boulderdash + the kitchen sink. I like it. The one that everyone seems to like a lot is Rampart but I can't seem to get into it. That probably has to do with the fact that it kicks my ass.

Slime World is my favorite though. What a great, unremembered little gem of a game. Are there any maps of the levels on the net?

Actually Super Skweek is fun too. It's kind of weird for a paint-the-tiles puzzle game because there's a lot of stuff in it, but I enjoy it. Also Ishido is a hard puzzle game, but enjoyable if you like that kind of thing.

Eric

If you like puzzle games get Chip's Challenge. I remember I bought this when it was new, and I was sharing a house with a bunch of friends. We had races to see who could solve the next level first. Lots of fun. I should dig that game up again.

I just love Chip's Challenge!

I must admit, I've gotten quite hooked on Chips Challenge as well. I got it because it was cheap, but it really is very fun. One of the best puzzle games ever, and you get to play a nerd. It would be the best puzzle game ever if it had Ninjas.

Everything is better with Ninjas :P