IGNORED

first show tonight. wish me luck

Ugclone

our band's first show is tonight and i'm pretty excited..what does this have to do with atari? i play a 2600 in the band (thanks paul slocum!) using the synthcart.the 2600 and a big freakin' amp with some distortion. the band's name is the Dead Whipp-it's..hopefully i'll have some stuff (including some of our songs) to put up on the net soon. wish us luck :D

BTW check out the synthcart site http://www.mindspring.com/~paul-slocum/synth.html

[/img]

Look forward to hearing your band and I hope your show goes well! I'm interested to hear more about how your using it and what your setup it like.

I haven't had a chance to play live with mine because the guy I play music with moved to Austin. But when I visit, I always take a Synthcart so we can play. Hopefully I'll be moving to Austin soon and we can play some shows then.

-Paul

thanks for the support everyone! the show went well and it looks like we got some more gigs coming up soon as a result (a few people from some other bands were there and they liked our stuff). I'm excited , to say the least. anyways once we get some recording done i'll try to have someone put it on the net for me and i'll let you guys know when that happens.

:music:

My big novelty when I was a drummer, before I learned guitar properly, was to use things other than drum sticks for my end-of-show solo...tennis rackets, toy Light Sabers, you name it! Thankfully, I never decided to pick up a couple Atari 2600s and bang my drums with them. But, now that I think about it, those huge remote-control 2600 joysticks would've worked well. (As durable as the CX sticks are, it probably wouldn't have hurt them, either!)

For the next show, maybe you could somehow get a recording and upload a sample of your 2600 mastery for us to hear! Congratulations on a successful show; and we score another 10,000 points for ol' Stella!

P.S. Beware of doing covers. Stick to original songs. Let's not disgrace our beloved machine. You're the only music-scene representative who we have at the moment, who uses an actual VCS. :D

CF

There is another guy- Spike The Percussionist. He built a rackmount Atari that he uses with SynthCart and regular ol' games too. There are some example songs that you can grab from his website that use the Atari.

http://www.manipulate.net/skan/index.html

As for doing cover songs, it's pretty hard with SynthCart since it can play all the notes in a major scale or a minor scale, but not both at the same time. That means that cover songs are confined to hits like "Three Blind Mice" and "Jingle Bells".

Not that I'm complaining. :D

It's hard doing cover songs at all on the 2600. Doing Mr. Roboto and Rock The Casbah were pretty hard even when I had access to all the notes possible.

The following song has some Synthcart in the background and a short solo (through a lot of reverb) at about 1:40. Our music isn't the most accessible stuff, though.

http://www.palfloat.com/audio/sl_mr_cement.mp3

-Paul

Awesome idea Paul! I too would love to hear more of your stuff - listening to that song right now... "formica"... doo doo... very cool... "Mr. Cement"... good so far... WHERE'S THE ATARI?... "Magic wand" - hmmm, sounds dirty... 1:45 left - haven't heard the Atari yet - or maybe the distortion confuses me... O.K. - I think I got it now - the synthcart - thought that was a guitar at first...

Hey, I think it rocks! I don't get the lyrics, but that's o.k.!

BTW, tho' this isn't Atari, I went to a Nine Inch Nails concert where they broke into the Zelda theme. THAT ROCKED! Probably half the audience got it - the other half was looking around like "Why is everyone cheering? - I don't know this song!"

That is HOT ... actually playing an Atari 2600 in a band. If I were in an electro-clash band right now (which seems to be all the rage here in San Francisco) I would totally do it. Paul Slocum's Synthcart is the bomb!

Has anyone heard of a Detroit electro duo called Adult.? I swear that there are Atari 2600 sounds all over their record.

I've been trying to get the keyboardist in Blue Period (my band) to sample some 2600 sounds to use, but to no avail ... yet!

Nice to see Adult. mentioned here! They don't use Atari, but they definitely have a low-tech electronic sound, as do lots of other electro artists in Detroit, such as Dopplereffeckt, Ectomorph, Aux 88, and Drexciya. If you like that style, definitely check these artists out.

I DJ an electro set as Mr. Roboto 8), and my new promo CD will indeed feature some "mad" Atari beats, thanks to this record.

i've gotta hear it. please post digital sample. i'm guessing it has a "funky town" sound.

funky town the disco song?! oh dear god no. we kind of play around with different styles of music and bring them together to form a strange mixture... think if you can styles from artists like the dead boys, devo, and johnny cash all splashed together in one form or another. Electrocountrypunx ! (I made that up myself..oh so clever!) :D :roll:

:music: I just got pictures from the show back today so i'll try and get them scanned and posted as soon as i find some free time. Also we usually tape our practices so i should probably be going through the tapes and posting some of the better quality stuff (it's not exactly studio quailty stuff since we just set the good ol' tape player down and press rec.) anyways i'm probably going to have to put a web site together to hold all of this stuff. sounds like i've got some work to do :)