IGNORED

Shadowrun

Lord Thag

Anyone playing this? I just picked it up. It's one of the best shooters on the system IMHO. A lot of people seem to be grousing about it not being a sequel to the Geny RPG, but it's very good. It's like Counterstrike with magic. I've never played a FPS where you can teleport through walls, summon monsters, and fly. It's great fun, and the game includes some very capable bots if you want to play offline. The different character classes are a nice touch too.

The only folks I hear complaining about it are the ones who are torqed that it's an FPS and not an RPG. Highly recomended if your an FPS junkie like me!

Edited by Lord Thag

I'll admit I'd have rather it been an RPG and was dissapointed when I heard it was not.

Why not just make a fricking REAL Shadowrun game on the 360 and call this game something like Super Magic Deathmatch Guys or Magical Deathbringer Arena?

That said... I heard it was a decent game. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Not in any real hurry to, I have a game backlog as it is, I just now started BulletWitch this week-end.

Edited by moycon

I downloaded the demo on XBL last night, and I must say, I am impressed.

I am still a hater of the money system like in CS, but the new ideas in theis game vastly outweigh the minor issues. If FASA commits itself to ensure that player balance is maintained, this honestly could be a FPS with long legs.

Well, I'm still playing this every night. There are so many great ways to approach playing. The game really allows you to taylor your playing style. Some of the most intense, fun, and exiting FPS gaming I've ever played.

Who cares if the 'Shadowrun' angle is just slapped on? The game itself is an A+

Oh, and for those of you just trying it out, give the elf a shot and go with teleport, smartlink, tree of life, and use the rifle. 39 kills on XBL today in one match. Awesome stuff :)

I'm sorry, but CounterStrike's charm has long since worn off, so I fail to see how taking the basic system of CounterStrike and placing it within the Shadowrun world is going to win me over.

There was a game called Global Operatives, which was kind of like CounterStrike with a touch of TFC in that you could choose your character's class. The thing here was that when you died, you could either get a medic to patch you up or be reinserted (basically respawning at timed intervals.) The thing here was while downing your opponents got you points, there were primary mission objectives to be completed, which were based on the same basis but with slightly different rules:

(e.g. The good guys have to protect the files for a top secret weapon and then sabotage the helicopter that the bad guys would use to escape, while the bad guys must get the files and then make it to the helicopter. It's different for each scenario, but that's the basic idea.)

The thing here was that by making the objective to complete the objectives instead of killing the other team was what made it more interesting. Whereas with CounterStrike and Shadowrun, the objectives don't matter as much as killing the other team.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of those people irritated it was a FPS instead of a RPG. I tried the demo anyway, just to see what it was like. I liked Bullet Witch and EDF 2017. Maybe FPS games have progressed to a point where I can actually enjoy them.

No. Not at all. Shadowrun slapped me in the face with everything I hate about the FPS genre. Existing FPS fans will probably love it. Since I don't live and breathe these types of games, I found absolutely nothing in the game of interest.

Yeah, it's neat that you can glide, teleport, and activate your infrared vision. The theme is similar to Bullet Witch, but just didn't strike a chord in me as much as that game did.

I think every FPS fan will love it, and it will tide them over until Halo 3 hits store shelves with more of the same. As for me, I'm just not having good luck with demos lately, and am avoiding this title like the plague.

Bulletwitch better than Shadowrun? LOL

Its Ok, I personally would rather watch a cheesy no budget flick from the 70's than most mutil million dollar budget flicks released today (Example: Fantastic 4?? More like Crappy 4) I admit it. I like crappy movies....I don't mind, some folks just like crappy things. You know exactly what I mean Gabriel...Whether you know it or not. :cool:

I will admit I'd rather have seen a RPG.

Edited by moycon

Bulletwitch better than Shadowrun? LOL

Its Ok, I personally would rather watch a cheesy no budget flick from the 70's than most mutil million dollar budget flicks released today (Example: Fantastic 4?? More like Crappy 4) I admit it. I like crappy movies....I don't mind, some folks just like crappy things. You know exactly what I mean Gabriel...Whether you know it or not. :cool:

I will admit I'd rather have seen a RPG.

Well, I think I have to resort to invoking that old, cheap, and irrational reason of "fun" for this one.

Bullet Witch made me happy to play. I was enthusiastic. There was just something about the mix which was enjoyable. After the first level, uninspired as it may be, I was hooked. Shadowrun didn't do that. With Shadowrun, I just wanted the experience to be over.

I think part of it is the amount of stuff that's thrown at you. Bullet Witch allowed me to ease into the game. It gives me time to think. I don't have to juggle a lot of things at once. Compared to that, Shadowrun just tosses the player to the wolves. Here's gliding. Here's teleporting. Here's how to crouch. Here's how to jump. Now do all that stuff at once and in combination. It doesn't sound like much, but it screws the learning curve up.

And, of course, not being a big FPS fan is a huge part of it. In playing many FPSes, I definitely get the feeling I am needing to hone a skill set which I don't have, and don't particularly want to develop. This is a basic requirement for the game. As I want something I can just pick up and play and have fun, this quality of most FPS games is a big hurdle for me. It's not the same as learning how to play something like Pac-Man. It's more like starting off at the key stages in Pac-Man as your very first experience with the game. It's not so much difficulty as it is simply not having the background to play effectively. You CAN learn from that point, but the game certainly isn't encouraging you to do so. A fan of the genre can really get into that kind of situation while a newbie or less immersed person won't find much appeal in it.

Call me pessimistic, but even though I would have prefered a RPG, I don't think it would have resulted in a good one.

And, of course, not being a big FPS fan is a huge part of it.

Well, Bulletwitch isn't a FPS so whether you were a fan or not shouldn't have mattered.

You really shouldn't compare it and Shadowrun since they are 2 different genres.

Still, and off subject, this just shows you how folks differ, Bulletwitch makes some people happy when they play (Like you) and some people sad when they play (like me)

I'll admit to liking my share of games that other people find laughingly bad. (Looks at Dragonriders of Pern and Shadowman)

I'll admit to liking my share of games that other people find laughingly bad. (Looks at Dragonriders of Pern and Shadowman)

Shadowman, I still have fond memories of playing that in marathon sessions on the Dreamcast. I could never figure out why it wasnt well received, it had so much going for it. It had so many levels and worlds in it, and great writing. I loved the Asylum and Jack the Ripper worlds, those hook handed pig guys!! Seriously thats probably my fave game on the DC, the PS2 follow-up was rather lacking though.