IGNORED

What would you want for a Starfox game on Wii?

AtariJr

Just have been thinking about this with the rumor of mario kart coming to the wii. if you were to have a starfox game come to the wii what would you do to it. im sure im not the only one to admit that starfox has been gradually loosing its magic over the years. it used to be my favorite game on the snes, one of my favorites on the n64, and has since kinda tripped up.

do you think that on rail would still work? personally for me, i think that when they went all range mode for the whole game in command it got a bit tricky in control (maybe that was just because you couldnt stear and do a barrel roll at the same time :ponder: ). but you know fans... you have on rails they hate it, you do what namco did and they say "where is the on rails shooter parts?".

anywho. my ideas: stear with the nunchuck, shake the nunchuck a little for a barrel roll, C for leaning the ship left, Z for leaning the ship right,.... now im debating on using the remote to aim and shoot, but if not, at least make it so maybe you could aim where you want a bomb to go... always hated that bombs were so damn impresise. i would have tank missions like in Assault (which would use the wiimote to aim and shoot as aiming in the tanks was always so freakin hard for me in Assault), but no on foot missions. oh , and the sound track woudl sound more like the snes soundtrack with a more serious/dark sound... something i think they kinda lost over the years.

what are your thoughts?

Edited by AtariJr

Since the SNES one is the only good one and every sequel has completely sucked, I wish Nintendo would just quit raping the corpse.

But, if hell froze over, here is what I'd want to see:

1) No walking around bits. None. Zero. It's a space shooter you idiots. We do not want to stare at Fox's ass no matter how sexy you furry bastards think it is.

2) No tank bits, or any other vehicle other than starfighters. It's a FLIGHT game, not a tank game. If you want to provide other vehicle options, give more planes.

3) Stop it with the annoying voices. Slippy, I'm looking at you. Voice acting is fine. You need to master the fine art of not making it suck.

4) No free roaming. These bits suck. If we wanted a game with free roaming 3D areas, we'd play Ace Combat, which is VASTLY better at it than Starfox can ever aspire to be. Starfox is a glorified scrolling shooter. Put us on rails. It's much better that way.

5) Cool environments and music. These are what scrolling shooters are all about.

I second the "no voices" vote. I loved the gibberish in SNES StarFox and was disappointed to hear actual, intelligible voices in StarFox 64. On rails is fine with me. I would want to be able to steer with the stick, aim with the remote, shoot with "A", barrel roll with the triggers, and nova bomb with "C". Hmm, did I miss anything? Of course, custom user controls would be preferred if motion control was desirable. I would also want memorable music. The first StarFox had great tunes and sound effects. SF64's sonic contributions were forgettable.

Since the SNES one is the only good one and every sequel has completely sucked

Rose tinted glasses much? That game sucks. And I'm not defending any other game in the series (as I haven't played them), but I'm certain that the first one is a POS.

Were you perchance an SNES fanboy back then? I remember SNES fans going on and on about how the Genesis couldn't do this, and thinking "who'd want it to. I like good games. If I want to play 'protect the frog and bunny with the crosshares', I'll let Sega know."

Edited by Atarifever

I wasn't an SNES fanboy back then (I spread the love between my SNES, Genesis, and Lynx) and I'm of the opinion that SNES StarFox is the best of the franchise. Of course, back then I was a sucker for flat-shaded polygon graphics (I still think they're cool, leaves more to the imagination).

Just caught this...

protect the frog and bunny with the crosshares

lol, was that intentional? :rolling:

Edited by Emehr

Were you perchance an SNES fanboy back then? I remember SNES fans going on and on about how the Genesis couldn't do this, and thinking "who'd want it to. I like good games. If I want to play 'protect the frog and bunny with the crosshares', I'll let Sega know."

Nope. I was definitely a Genesis fan. It's just that the original Starfox was that damn good.

I'd always kill all my wingmen so I wouldn't have to put up with their bumbling.

I'd always kill all my wingmen so I wouldn't have to put up with their bumbling.

Now that's a plan. I do have to admit though, they sure were adorable.

http://www.mundorare.com/juegos/starfox/im...tarfox_snes.gif

Oh Nintendo, you couldn't even do Afterburner without a cute bunny.

i liked the original peppy... he was cool and actually looked like a rabbit, and wasnt old. only one person has commented on thier ideas on control, which was really the point of this ^_^, whats your ideas?

This is actually very easy and obvious. BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL MUSIC FROM THE SNES VERSION

That SNES Soundtrack is awesome.. it sounds all space war-y and majestic and fits the game real well as much as the Zelda theme is to Zelda. I have zero idea why they stopped using it. Starfox without it (even N64 Starfox) feels empty to me.

Anyway.. aside from that. I like the on rails stuff mixed in with a little free roaming... works for me. More epic space battles with large capital ships mixed in and flying through their tunnels like the 2nd stage (or was it the 3rd?) in SNES Starfox..

i liked the original peppy... he was cool and actually looked like a rabbit, and wasnt old. only one person has commented on thier ideas on control, which was really the point of this ^_^, whats your ideas?

It should just use the classic controller, no wiimote or nunchuck stuff at all. Both the left analog and the D-Pad should be useable for flying the Arwing. Otherwise, it would have the same controls as the first game.

This is actually very easy and obvious. BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL MUSIC FROM THE SNES VERSION

That SNES Soundtrack is awesome.. it sounds all space war-y and majestic and fits the game real well as much as the Zelda theme is to Zelda. I have zero idea why they stopped using it. Starfox without it (even N64 Starfox) feels empty to me.

Anyway.. aside from that. I like the on rails stuff mixed in with a little free roaming... works for me. More epic space battles with large capital ships mixed in and flying through their tunnels like the 2nd stage (or was it the 3rd?) in SNES Starfox..

The space battle (Wave 3 on easy, right?) is just one of those places in games where everything clicks. The visuals were top notch for the time. The music is great. And everything just feels epic. It's also probably the only time in the game where your wingmen aren't incompetent, as they'll all roar out at one part to blast a path for you.

Gabriel, I think you're being too hard on SF64. It's infinitely quotable, after all!

"Don't mess up that Arwing!"

"Do a barrel roll!"

"You remind me more of your father every day..."

"Try a somersault!"

:P

Actually, I liked StarFox 64. IMHO, it took the series to its logical conclusion both graphics and gameplay-wise. SF2 would have been neat, but the all-range mode all-the-time and tactical battles would have messed with the super-space sh'mup feel of the original.

Gabriel is definitely right about two things, though: No walking and NO TANKS. The first level of Assault is so promising, then they go and mess it up with ground-pounding. Booooring. :(

If Nintendo makes StarFox Wii, they should:

1. Use the sideways Wii Remote to fly it. (Tilt for direction, buttons for fire/bomb, mimick the movement of a "somersault" to perform it, use DPad left and right to "Do a barrel roll!")

2. On rails. Most definitely on rails. I love the rail. Especially the Starfox implementation of the rail which has branches and fairly wide spaces on the rail.

3. Alternate paths. Starfox was all about taking the hard path vs. the easy path. Finding the "Black Hole" shortcut. Etc. Putting the level progression on the rail is a no-no.

4. Will someone please make Slippy act like anything but a hero-worshiping putz?

5. Leave the girlfriend back on the Dino planet. We don't need to see her in the game. She was a fairly strong character in Adventures, but good grief is she annoying in Assault.

6. DON'T LET NAMCO DO IT. Let them do more drum games or something. Just don't let them anywhere near the main Nintendo products!

::sniff:: but i like tanks :(

lol, but i do agree with the no namco thing... i really hope nintendo does this themselves, or gives it to one of their 2nd party developers (then again look what rare did with starfox.. nevermind, let ninty do it)

Edited by AtariJr

It should just use the classic controller, no wiimote or nunchuck stuff at all. Both the left analog and the D-Pad should be useable for flying the Arwing. Otherwise, it would have the same controls as the first game.

No, no , no, no, no. That's a terribly dangerous and bad idea for them. If they made a game that only used the CLassic controller a bad example would be set. Everything on the system needs to be able to work with the Wiimote, or the temptaion of lazy developers will be to use the classic controller as the default. And what is the Wii with a classic controller? A Gamecube with wi-fi and a PS2 controller. I'm with whoever said to hold it sideways to fly the ship. Doesn't Sony have a game in the works that does that with the 6-axis?

Edited by Atarifever

That game just always seemed little more than a tech demo to me. Every console can do polygons now, I'd like something better than Starfox which was pretty much just Afterburner with bosses.

Everything on the system needs to be able to work with the Wiimote, or the temptaion of lazy developers will be to use the classic controller as the default. And what is the Wii with a classic controller? A Gamecube with wi-fi and a PS2 controller.

Yeah but do you think the same of the DS? There's plenty of DS games that use the d-pad and not the touchscreen. And what is a DS without the touchscreen control? Why.. it's a rehashed SNES or N64! :lol:

....Or at least that's what many people said it was at launch :P

Everything on the system needs to be able to work with the Wiimote, or the temptaion of lazy developers will be to use the classic controller as the default. And what is the Wii with a classic controller? A Gamecube with wi-fi and a PS2 controller.

Yeah but do you think the same of the DS? There's plenty of DS games that use the d-pad and not the touchscreen. And what is a DS without the touchscreen control? Why.. it's a rehashed SNES or N64! :lol:

Ah yes, but you don't have to go out and buy the d-pad on the DS.

Also, what was the DS up against? The PSP. Yeah, Sony's marketing was soooo strong on that one. On the console front, Nintendo can't afford to have people compare it graphically with the competition.

Edited by Atarifever

Ah yes, but you don't have to go out and buy the d-pad on the DS.

Also, what was the DS up against? The PSP. Yeah, Sony's marketing was soooo strong on that one. On the console front, Nintendo can't afford to have people compare it graphically with the competition.

i think the classic controller is a horrible idea.. but you dont NEED to use the pointer. just use the nunchuck and wiimote combo with maybe some accelerometer stuff. i mean, if anything the wiimote and nunchuch are more comfortable to hold than a regualr controller. but i think they coudl really be creative with this.. why limit it to a gc controller? it could be the first starfox where you can shoot and fly in differnt directions thanks to the wiimote.. that could help rejuvinate the series.

Why point to the screen? Just hold the the wiimote like a flight stick. That works in stuff like Wario Ware don't it?

..or maybe not

It works, it just doesn't always work well. :)

That being said, i'd probably buy a Star Fox game on the Wii, if it had enough in common with the original. I still fire up the original on occasion and usually end up playing clear through it. Say what you will about it being just a primitive polygon tech demo, i've seen games on the Saturn and PS1 that were harder on the eyes. :)

Here's kind of a backwards control design, might work though...use the remote for the ship. B for thrust and A for afterburners. Angle it up, down, wherever to steer your ship. Use the analog stick on the nunchuck, along with the Z button or whatever to aim and fire. It would be a lot of work and you'd pretty much only be able to play from one position, but i gather that that's how Wii fans like it, so it just might work.