IGNORED

VC Game Accuracy

Tempest

Now that the VC has been around for awhile, I was curious as to what people thought about the accuracy of the game emulation. I've personally never played a VC game because so far I've owned everything they've offered (where's my Alien Soldier for the Genesis already!), so I can't comment on the accuracy.

Tempest

Now that the VC has been around for awhile, I was curious as to what people thought about the accuracy of the game emulation. I've personally never played a VC game because so far I've owned everything they've offered (where's my Alien Soldier for the Genesis already!), so I can't comment on the accuracy.

Tempest

It's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades. If you haven't played the games in a while, you won't notice any glaring differences.

I only noticed the problems with Streets of Rage 2 because I used to play it all the time, and had even played it quite a bit on the Genny recently.

As best as I've been able to tell, it's been spot-on accurate. Using the thumbstick for the N64 C buttons is a little weird, but that's about my only complaint. Well, that and the graphics are too sharp. Back when we played Super Mario World on a tube, no one noticed the pixelation of the graphics. Now it kind of stands out. :(

On the bright side, the better 3D hardware of the Wii is put to good work in the N64 games to make them look quite good. Moire patterns and other graphical issues that were obscured by the good ole' tubes are simply corrected under Wii emulation. Thus the games don't stick out quite as badly as hooking up an N64 to a modern TV does.

Nintendo has obviously cared a great deal about getting the games as accurate as possible. When Starfox 64 was released, they initially corrected the occasional framerate issues in the original game. Shortly thereafter, they released an update that restored the game to its original speed. Some prefer the smoother framerate, but most players agree that it makes the game a bit more difficult.

Mario Kart 64 and Military Madness have also received updates to correct minor emulation issues. (Though I forget what they were.)

The one gotcha is that N64 games do lack some support. Mario Kart 64 won't save the ghost data because the memory pak is not emulated. Furthermore, N64 games do not save their state when you exit the game. You need to make sure you use the cart-save feature or you'll lose your game. Which is in direct opposition to the other systems' games which freeze their states when exited.

It's close with one glaring issue - the blurriness of TG16 games. They look far less crisp than the other offerings. There are a bunch of theories why but no one can get a real answer from Nintendo or Hudson at this point - but either way it's a shame that Bonk looks inferior to his Genesis and NES counterparts.

So basically there's really no reason to get a VC game if I already have the original other than for the "All in one place" convience factor? I was hoping that the games were cleaned up or fixed a bit somehow, but then again that would sort of defeat the purpose of the VC I suppose.

It should be interesting to see how the Wii handles Neo Geo and (maybe) Saturn games. If only they offered online play, then I'd buy them in a heart beat.

Tempest

Some of the N64 games do look better IIRC - I've been told that Mario 64 looks quite a bit nicer than the original (I wouldn't know I never *gasp* played the original). I also like the autosave it does when switching back to the main menu.

you deserve one bitch slap my friend :)

but yea i agree.. if there is any reason to buy vc games besides it being in all one place, being able to pick up where you last started to the milisecond is seriously a priceless option. im very glad they put that in there for the nes games which you tend to lose interest in before you are done playing through all your lives.

Edited by AtariJr