IGNORED

Can you play Phantasy Star on Wii?

AtariJr

Heres a bit of a q from my old roomate. he has always been a phantasy star nut ever since i introduced him to the series, but hes never been online. he purposely waited to get a wii so he woudlnt have to shell 50 bucks for a broadband adaptor for his gc (yes, thats how much they go for now USED :roll: ).

anywho, im ASSUMING that since there is wifi in the wii that that would act just like the broadband adaptor of the gc... so can you go online in phatasy star on the wii not the gc? my only reasoning that this woudlnt work is that many of the wii's features are turned off while in gc mode, like the wiimote connectivity to the system, etc. does anyone have an account still for phatasy star who would be able to tell me if this works on the wii?

anywho, im ASSUMING that since there is wifi in the wii that that would act just like the broadband adaptor of the gc... so can you go online in phatasy star on the wii not the gc?

Yeah, it doesn't work. The Wii is in no way compatible with the GC broadband adapter. It doesn't emulate it, nor does it have the ports to hook it up.

Soo... I hope he still has his GameCube around...

anywho, im ASSUMING that since there is wifi in the wii that that would act just like the broadband adaptor of the gc... so can you go online in phatasy star on the wii not the gc?

Yeah, it doesn't work. The Wii is in no way compatible with the GC broadband adapter. It doesn't emulate it, nor does it have the ports to hook it up.

Soo... I hope he still has his GameCube around...

i think he gave it away to his brother.. >_>

ah well, so much for that. i know that the adaptor was never used much, but they shoudl have made that available. but i guess you cant complain, the backwards compatibility still is better on the wii than any other system.. just would be nice if companies could do it all 100%. at least we can put our memory cards for the gc in the system ^_^. thanks for the help , that was really fast, wasnt expecting a reply so quick.

No problem. Watch out for the Gameboy Advance connector, too. It's not compatible, either. (Which means I have to wait for the Virtual Console in order to play the original Metroid. :razz:)

omg that never even dawned on me... that you cant plug in the gba for those quirky multiplayer games either. i always assumed they could use the ds's wifi when the system was still being called the revolution. now that i have the wii ive all but forgot about some of these things ive wanted to do with it on the gc side. i guess my copy of ff crystal chronicles is all but useless now unless i plug in my gc. ah well, at least not a lot of games used this. wasnt it only zelda four swords, FF, and pacman vs? i know that games like sonic used it to load data. but thast about it.

wasnt it only zelda four swords, FF, and pacman vs? i know that games like sonic used it to load data. but thast about it.

Four Swords was the big one. Metroid Prime also had an unlockable version of the NES game that can't be accessed without the cable. Which sucks, because I have Metroid Prime. Of course, I don't have a Gameboy Advance with Metroid Fusion, but that's just details, details. :P

Silly question, but how much of Phantasy Star Online requires the online part? Is there a full game on there that can be played offline or does it require online? I just got the GC version at the flea market ($5!) but haven't tried it out yet.

Silly question, but how much of Phantasy Star Online requires the online part? Is there a full game on there that can be played offline or does it require online? I just got the GC version at the flea market ($5!) but haven't tried it out yet.

I could have sworn you could do both games offline without any kind of adapter. The offline games are just as fun as the online ones, you just miss out on some extra missions (which weren't that great anyway).

Are the GC PSO servers still running? I know they took down the DC ones a year or two ago.

Tempest

The full game is available offline, and it's almost as awesome. On both the cube and DC I put in more time offline than on.

Awesome, thanks for the input. Still need to finish off PS III and IV before taking the plunge into PSO. Do you guys have a preference between the DC vs. GC versions? I've got both on the shelf.

Edited by bones

yea its like any other game with online options.. there are a slew of campaigns and then the whole multiplayer and single player section for offline players, just with more items and "jobs" that are available online. i heard getting an online account is good just to get some of the items and to play the jobs that are available.. but most people would cancel thier accounts after they got thier fill of the few options only online. so in short, offline is just as fun really.. online or offline the only problem with the game is that it gets VERY repetitive... and pso2 is just not as good as the first one, so expect to not play the later half of the game as much.