IGNORED

Switch return spring

MiKOTRON

The springs that move the switches back to the up position have given out on my heavy sixer. Anyone know how to repair these. I hate having to manually move the switches back up. I probably can't get any replacement switches, I've only seen those on Atari 2600's. I don't have a broken unit to use for parts. Any info would be great. I'm great at soldering by the way.

Some heavy sixers apparently use a switch design in which the spring can sometimes pop out of position (probably if someone allows the switch to "snap" back to its normal position instead of letting the pressure off in a normal way). I've seen it reported that the spring can be returned to normal without disassembling the switch, but before you try it the first time, you might want to unsolder and disassemble one anyway just so you can see how it's supposed to go together.

If your switches' springs really are broken or missing, you can get replacement switches from Best Electronics.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

The springs that move the switches back to the up position have given out on my heavy sixer. Anyone know how to repair these. I hate having to manually move the switches back up. I probably can't get any replacement switches, I've only seen those on Atari 2600's. I don't have a broken unit to use for parts. Any info would be great. I'm great at soldering by the way.

You might find the proper springs in another switch. If you happened to be near Phoenix, I'd recommend a surplus place that has about a zillion different switches.

Does Best Electronics sell replacement switches? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Thanks guys, I contacted Best Electronics and ordered the switches. The shipped them to me so fast. Like 2 days! So I soldered them in and they work great. I also got a replacement power jack too. I needed a new one of those. It's so great that Best Electronics has almost all of Atari's warehouse now. One more problem though, sound. It's weird but theres a lot of static in the sound. The sound fades out into the static (white noise) till there isn't any sound left. When I start the cold machine there is static ( in the audio, picture is perfect ) but I can hear the sound too. But that doesn't last very long till it's nothing but static. Possibly capacitors? I'm not sure, it is 30 years old.

Edited by MiKOTRON