IGNORED

Duplicating the Doubler

Bripilot

I have 2 1050 drives, one is stock and the other has a US Doubler installed. Using an EPROM burner, is it possible to copy the USDoubler chip and have one in my other 1050?

If so, what chip size would I need to use to do this?

I don't know the availability of USDoublers and honestly, I can't really afford a Happy board... although I'd love to get two of them for my setup... *sigh*

Any info would be helpful... thanks!

I know, $30 seems cheap enough... but when I'm trying to keep food in the pantry and the electricity on, I cannot afford to spend even $1 on computer upgrades... I have an EPROM burner and several EPROM chips running around, so I was looking for a "free" way of doing this.

Heck, I don't even have internet at home right now... I have to use my PC from work or my friend's house.

I hear ya!! The US Doubler mod looks easy enough to do. If you have a USD Rom already in another drive, just copy it to a 2732. The glitch is going to be the ram part, unless you have a third 1050 for parts and can use the ram chip from there.

Well... for some reason, I kept thinking that the USD was just a single chip upgrade... I only have the 2 1050's and then a dead IndusGT (still trying to figure out why that one won't work).

I think I'll just stick with my current setup and see if I can't get the Indus working properly again. It powers up, but won't read any discs... I may just go in and give it a good cleaning.

Well... for some reason, I kept thinking that the USD was just a single chip upgrade... I only have the 2 1050's and then a dead IndusGT (still trying to figure out why that one won't work).

I think I'll just stick with my current setup and see if I can't get the Indus working properly again. It powers up, but won't read any discs... I may just go in and give it a good cleaning.

No. The USD was a 2 chip upgrade, the OS replacement and a stacked RAM replacement for larger disk buffering for high speed ultra-skew mode. The ram part was the larger black cased chip. There are actually places on the net that sell these as pulls for about $3.00 a piece.

Howdy guys

The extra RAM is needed because the 1050 only has 128 bytes of RAM. You need 256 bytes for double density.

Greetings

Mathy

The 1050 actually has 256 bytes of RAM because it has a RIOT chip with 128 bytes as well. The problem is that it's not all available for sector buffering.

-Bry

Edited by Bryan

I can't remember the name of the ftp site but they have a rom image of the USD in both emulator ROM format and INH format (as well as speedy/happy and other 1050 u/g's)

I think the INH format is a specific format ready for burning direct to an eprom unless i am much mistaken

the ftp site used to be called atari.art. pl, i think they had something to do with pigwa.net...perhaps someone on this forum will have the right ftp address

• 4 weeks later...
which is better for a machine in 2007, the happy or the doubler?

I can't imagine using any of the happy copy functions these days.

Sorry for a so late reply...

Definitely go with the Happy if you can. Even if you won't ever use the copy capabilities of the Happy, it is much faster than the USD because of the track buffer.

(Catching up slowly after a break from Atari)