IGNORED

Quick fix for stiff proline sticks

graywest

If you think the standard 7800 proline sticks are too stiff, read on:

I personally like the prolines, and I even use them to play 2600 games most of the time. I have three of them - two of which are completely stiff, and one that is a joy to use. Well, today I was wondering why one of them was so much better than the others, so I opened up all of them at the same time. Couldn't find anything different at first, the circuit boards were all the same revision, etc. Then I noticed that the handle of the "good" proline wasn't pushed as far into the plastic cross as the other two. So I pulled the handle out a little on the stiff prolines and voila! They worked great!

If you want to try it yourself, just open up a standard proline, grab the plastic knob at one end, grab the plastic cross (the part that pushes the switches down inside) at the other end, and pull. It takes quite a bit of pressure, so be careful not to break the fragile cross part. I used needlenose pliers to hold that part. Separate the pieces by 1-2 mm. When you hold the proline upside down and the plastic cross slides along the shaft, you should see a gap between the cross and the metal half-ball at the end of the shaft. More of a gap = less play/easier to move the stick. Close it back up and try it out!

The main problem I can see with this is that the stick may get pushed back down after prolonged use, especially if you tend to put a lot of downward pressure on the stick while playing. Let me know how it works for you. (Still no easy solution for the hand-cramping buttons, but oh well...)

I find that tighter pro lines are more responsive. What you're doing is a good thing, but you run the risk of losing contact pressure, especially in the diagonals.

For most people, I recommend they find a 7800 joystick they like, be it a pro line or an RSI or anything in between, and "stick" with it.

I personally recommend getting a joypad or using a modified Genesis controller. Some people like the Prolines, but I feel they have one irreparable flaw: torque

No matter what you do, the base is simply too thin in comparison to the length of the neck. Softening the pressure required helps (new sticks, for example, tend to feel a lot better), but you're still pitting your hands against each other in a fight to keep the base stable. In comparison, the wider base of the 2600 sticks make them much easier to hold while in use. The square shape and rubber feet also allow you to put the stick on a table or lap to operate.

IMHO, the 7800 should have included the Sylvia prototype sticks rather than elongating the neck in an attempt to differentiate from the 5200. Yes, the Sylvia sticks were much closer to the final 5200 design. But the 5200 shape wasn't broken, only the implementation. The sticks actually had a wonderful feel that required very little pressure to operate. They were comfortable to hold in your hand, and had an excellent base to neck ratio. A spring-loaded digital implementation would have rocked! Instead we got the Prolines. :|

sylvia.JPG

Those prototype controllers look badass. I would have loved to use them. The system looks cool, except for the slit-buttons. They should have used regular buttons.

By the way, can you use jaguar controllers with a 7800, and have 2 fire buttons?

I wonder where that prototype system is now.....In a landfill, perhaps?

Believe it or not, but I have never actully used an official 7800 proline controller. Atari stuff other than the 2600 is a pretty rare find around my area. I have never experienced the Thumb-Numbing action of the pro-line. I have only known the misery of the 5200 quad side button action.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

Those proto controllers look cool except they have the same flaw as the prolines and 5200 sticks...side mounted thumb busting fire buttons.

Having to hold your thumb on the side further reduces the grip you have on the joystick base. Now the wireless 2600 joysticks had a humungoid base to them, and that gives people with big hands like mine something to hold on to.