IGNORED

Another Effin' Block Game!

MausBoy

Well the main reason I started this project was because there wasn't a 2 player blocks game for the 2600, and of course I find out after putting in tons of effort that one is just being released, z-blocks. I've already put in too much effort to quit on it, but I can't find much if anything that it'd have over z-blocks. if anyone demos that game let me know if there are any shortcomings that i can avoid in this one.

Expect screenshots and possibly a demo within a week.

As you can see here on AGH Z-Blocks is from 2000 and i just read that there were about 100 copies released in 2005...?

Nevertheless i think you shouldn't give up on your game and i'm looking forward to see a demo!

Edited by Impaler_26

• 8 months later...
And yes, yes, yes, this is absolutely getting finished

...and pigs can fly... :P :lol:

You'll be eating those words very soon :lol:

Yeah, I already knew:

I'm very satisfied with the current version of bB and many of my past projects are wrapping up, so expect at least one or two MAUS Games releases every month for the next year.

:ponder: :grin:

And yes, yes, yes, this is absolutely getting finished

...and pigs can fly... :P :lol:

You'll be eating those words very soon :lol:

Yeah, I already knew:

I'm very satisfied with the current version of bB and many of my past projects are wrapping up, so expect at least one or two MAUS Games releases every month for the next year.

:ponder: :grin:

I know, I know. I fail as a programmer. It was the whole superchip debacle that threw me off, I swear! I went and converted most of my old games to superchip, then found out that superchip carts can't be made. A little research would have helped, huh? Plus I'm totally flakey and skip from project to project, shying away when something makes my brain hurt. Someday I WILL hold a cart that contains a game I programmed, it's been in my bones since early childhood. I really think it will be Aqua Hero, but as you've pointed out....

If there is an online community whose respect and appreciation I want, this would be it. So this bums me out. Hopefully I can still redeem myself.

Hey, there are tons of Tetris variations that could be included to differentiate this game from other 2600 efforts. Load up Tetris Worlds or Tetris DS for a few ideas. :D

A cool idea would be based off Tetris DS. Imagine ET trying to get out of a hole, or Pac-Man and ghosts flickering like crazy as you're playing Tetris. ;)

If there is an online community whose respect and appreciation I want, this would be it. So this bums me out. Hopefully I can still redeem myself.

Don't take Cybergoth's ribbing the wrong way. We don't eat our young in this online community-- because they get stuck in between our teeth, and you know annoying *that* is! :D

Seriously, your mockup looks great, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep on keeping on!

Michael

I know, I know. I fail as a programmer. It was the whole superchip debacle that threw me off, I swear! I went and converted most of my old games to superchip, then found out that superchip carts can't be made. A little research would have helped, huh? Plus I'm totally flakey and skip from project to project, shying away when something makes my brain hurt. Someday I WILL hold a cart that contains a game I programmed, it's been in my bones since early childhood. I really think it will be Aqua Hero, but as you've pointed out....

Don't worry about it. You only need to satisfy yourself. Just work at whatever pace you want. All you've learned is not to make predictions. Invariably you will miss your deadline. It's a hobby! I tend to not announce things because it just gets people excited for something that may never be finished. It's all about managing peoples expectations, just like at your job or in your life.

The stuff you've done so far is quite good and promising, if it wasn't people wouldn't be disappointed. :)

Take Jumpman 2600 for example, that initiative, while very worthy, has been stretched over many years.

Cybergoth loves 2600 products, he is actually trying to challenge you, not discourage you.

It'll get done when it gets done but that being said, try to pick something to finish next and stay on it until its good enough.

Also, note that superchip carts can be made because I've made several! The MegaMan game demo was a superchip game. I got the boards from chips from cpuwiz. Of course, I wasn't making large numbers. Nevertheless, if you make something on superchip then you can make some carts. If I recall, someone like Batari could make a superchip clone, so we wouldn't have to rely on the limited supply.

One other thing, if you run into problems, consider collaboration, you have to share the 'glory' for whatever that's worth but you will definately benefit. Everything that I've done has been with some help (mostly the incredibly prolific Bob Montgomery - vdub_bobby) and his bro. The MM demo/game was helped along by Bob, his brother Tommy, Lee Krueger, Chris Walton (cd_w) Fred Quimby (batari) and cpuwiz...

If you want to collaborate, just send me a PM.

If I recall, someone like Batari could make a superchip clone, so we wouldn't have to rely on the limited supply.

You are correct, as I have built a working Superchip prototype that doesn't require an actual superchip. But... I'm not entirely pleased with it, as there are 88 IC pins to solder (as opposed to the CPUWIZ board, which has 56, I think.) The ICs are cheap and readily available - it's just the increased assembly time that I'm worried about.

If I recall, someone like Batari could make a superchip clone, so we wouldn't have to rely on the limited supply.

You are correct, as I have built a working Superchip prototype that doesn't require an actual superchip. But... I'm not entirely pleased with it, as there are 88 IC pins to solder (as opposed to the CPUWIZ board, which has 56, I think.) The ICs are cheap and readily available - it's just the increased assembly time that I'm worried about.

That's great to know, I have a lot of code written for the superchip. I hope there will be a lot more development regarding superchip specific enhancements to bB, and because of it's effects on cycle use, it would be great if there were a debug mode that displayed vblank cycles remaining.

That's great to know, I have a lot of code written for the superchip. I hope there will be a lot more development regarding superchip specific enhancements to bB, and because of it's effects on cycle use, it would be great if there were a debug mode that displayed vblank cycles remaining.

I suppose if it would be of use to you, I'll take a look at the Mega Man code and see what I did with that. I know I did some mods. Another thing that I would use is the counters in Stella debugger and the ability to step video line by video line. I didn't really find that the overhead of the superchip was that bad because I avoided making subroutine calls across banks. I did have to do 'far' calls in the main loop but not inside the main player control code.

If it would help you, I will post the megaman source code for you to look at.