IGNORED

Neo Geo Pocket, any good?

It is a nice system... It is really too bad it sold so poorly. The screen is easy to see (compared to the GBA) ,the machine nibbles batteries like a salt lick, and the control stick is absolutely amazing. Some day I WILL hack a NGP control stick into a GBA. ;)

I would also recommend:

Bust A Move Pocket and Puyo Pop.

I owned one and to be honest, I didn't like it too much. My biggest complaint is the screen...even with the much lauded Worm Light, the glare is WORSE than the screen on the GBA.

The fighting games available for the system are tragically simple thanks to the shortage of action buttons on the unit. The Metal Slug games are NOTHING like the real Neo Geo versions...I'm not sure why the reviews were so favorable. The screen blur on fast games like sonic is pretty harsh as well.

I don't know, but I'm willing to bet that most people who speak highly of the NGP are those who bought the system after it was discontinued and are basing their love of the system more on SNK nostalgia. Before you invest the money in the system, I would STRONGLY ADVISE that you download the NeoPoccot emulator and try some of the games yourself.

I owned one and to be honest, I didn't like it too much.  My biggest complaint is the screen...even with the much lauded Worm Light, the glare is WORSE than the screen on the GBA.  .

Really? Maybe you had a defective unit... I have zero problems with glare etc. on the NGPC. About 2 weeks after I got the GBA, I took out the NGPC and couldn't believe the difference, as in how much easier it was to see the screen on the NGPC. I find myself constantly fidgeting with the "angle" of the GBA just to see what is going on, not so with the NGPC though.

The fighting games available for the system are tragically simple thanks to the shortage of action buttons on the unit.  

Agreed. But they are fun.. and a helluva lot better than what is on the GBC.

The screen blur on fast games like sonic is pretty harsh as well.

There is no screen blur on Sonic. I have it right here in front of me, testing it... You may be confusing the fact that on Sonic you cannot see a large area of the playfield due to the large size of the sprites and backgrounds etc... This seems to cause Sonic to suddenly run into enemies as they appear on screen so fast there is not much time to react. In all honestly though, I don't really like Sonic Pocket. ;)

I don't know, but I'm willing to bet that most people who speak highly of the NGP are those who bought the system after it was discontinued and are basing their love of the system more on SNK nostalgia.  

Everyone but you has a flawed motive... :twisted:

hehe. God bless Canada :D

I was always intruiged with the Dive Alert games (Becky and..um..Matt I think) - are they any good? I tend to have a soft spot for titles with an underwater theme - no idea why.

There is no screen blur on Sonic. I have it right here in front of me, testing it...  You may be confusing the fact that on Sonic you cannot see a large area of the playfield due to the large size of the sprites and backgrounds etc... This seems to cause Sonic to suddenly run into enemies as they appear on screen so fast there is not much time to react.  In all honestly though, I don't really like Sonic Pocket. ;)

It's GOT to be better than "Sonic Jam" on the Game.com... man, that game was bad...

--Zero

nah, im not an snk nostaligia freak, im just guilty of having a small wallet, and waitied until the price got low..

No offense intended with my comment about SNK nostalgia. I would still recommend that you try out the games via emulation to guage for yourself whether or not this is a good system for you. NeoPoccot runs very well and requires only a modest PC or Mac to run games at full speed.

although the hardware test IS better than anything released on the game.com

send that thing to /dev/null.. ugh, i pity the people who bought that thing when it first came out

I remember buying my NGP back in 1999 when Electronics Boutique first started carrying them in the states and the kid at the counter said that the NGP was intriuging, but he'd save his money and wait for the emulator to come out. Sure enough, about a year later, the first versions of NeoPoccot were released and suddenly my $69 investment seemed rather silly. Oh well. Perhaps that's why I won't spring for a GBA...to me it's just a portable SNES with some minor enhancments....a 10+ year old system repackaged with some of the games I had already played to death AGES ago.

I too love my Neo Geo Pocket Color.If you go the collection page on my site you can see all the games I own,and they all rule!!!Also I have this weird Japanese game called:ganbare neopoke-kun.It is very weird but has ALOT of fun mini games,from pong to a fighter.They have it at www.ncsx.com.Another place to get good import games.Hope you get on,it's great!! :D :ponder: ;)

Yeah its a great little system, very portable, I'm pretty sure it has a better battery-life than the GBColor and the screen is better than the GBA.

Some of the games that are great, have that SNK quirkyness, and are fun for a quick fix and haven't been mentioned are: Shangai Pocket, Baseball Stars Color, Bust a Move Pocket, and Gal Fighters.

For you RPG/Adventure guys a lot of people think Faselei! is the killer app for the NGP although I haven't had a chance to play it.

-O