IGNORED

Barnyard Blaster - Shooting grampa in the head

SINGLE TOOTH

On the description page for Barnyard Blaster it says

"On the plus side, individuals with a particular sense of humor might find it amusing to shoot "Gramps" in the head."

What happens when you shoot gramps??? I don't have the game, or a light gun.

Not much really,the level ends when you shoot gramps,and you go on to the next one,you basically just lose points.Definately get a light gun,this game is fun,but it also can get repetitive and lose its novelty pretty quick,still an alright game IMO.

Edited by Rik

will the XE light gun work with the 7800?

yes, there was never a 7800 gun.

Sega Light phazers can be modded to work on the 7800 and are more accurate than the XELG, still crap, but a bit less crap :roll:

Couple of corrections...yes, there was indeed a 7800 light gun. It is extremely rare, and from what I've read, it's the same gun as the XE one, only the shell is mainly orange instead of gray.

As for detection, the gun doesn't detect a "beam", although that's a good analogy. Most light guns detect whatever set of pixels they're aimed at, and the shot is placed by having the system check to see how long it takes to update that particular spot. I believe the gun is looking specifically for the instant when the target turns from whatever is displayed to that white color you see flash on the screen.

The CRT displays a frame from top to bottom, and, IIRC, left to right, updating each pixel sequentially as it goes. That means each pixel is turned white in sequence.

An LCD screen updates all of the pixels at once, so your shots will all register in the upper left corner, if at all.

If the software could cause the LCD to update each pixel sequentially, a light gun would work theoretically.

Barnyard blaster is a good game, especially if you've got tired of Duck Hunt. It's a little on the easy side, but it'll keep me entertained for hours. At least it makes you aim at each target instead of just shooting the whole screen.

Edited by shadow460

Couple of corrections...yes, there was indeed a 7800 light gun. It is extremely rare, and from what I've read, it's the same gun as the XE one, only the shell is mainly orange instead of gray.

I know, how many 7800 orange guns are known to exist? pretty much prototype quantities,

the other G1 guns for the 26/7800 had a picture of the orange gun on the box, and the Grey XE light gun packed inside.

I wonder how we're going to be able to play these light gun games after analog CRT televisions become harder to find. LCD televisions aren't compatible because there's no raster beam for the gun to detect.

I'm limited to playing all the light gun stuff on C1084s because they're the only CRTs left here. Except for the MAME cab, that still has a CRT for it's light guns as well :)

I wonder how we're going to be able to play these light gun games after analog CRT televisions become harder to find. LCD televisions aren't compatible because there's no raster beam for the gun to detect.

I'am still using my 1977 Hitachi colour tv,to play my games!which still works like NEW!!!!!!,and i have an old black and white tube tv!that STILL WORKS GREAT.I bought a few old crt tv's at my local thrift store,cus those tv's are qiuckly becoming a thing of the PAST!

will the XE light gun work with the 7800?

yes, there was never a 7800 gun.

Sega Light phazers can be modded to work on the 7800 and are more accurate than the XELG, still crap, but a bit less crap :roll:

I found one of those SEGA LIGHT PHASERS,at the thrift shop,now if only i can do the mod to make it work on the 7800 games.I already have the XE gun,but its good to have an extra one to compare performance.Anyone here no how to do this mod?Thank you!

You can find the How to in the 2600 FAQ

Just make sure that you have a joystick cable with all 9 (or at least the right eight) points in play, and dont forget to swap over the fire button connections on the microswitch.

Edited by mimo

I know, how many 7800 orange guns are known to exist? pretty much prototype quantities,

the other G1 guns for the 26/7800 had a picture of the orange gun on the box, and the Grey XE light gun packed inside.

Do any? Has there ever been a proto pic?

-John

This orange gun must be rare as hell,cus i for one have never ever seen one!Yes indeed,theres a couple of photos of the ORANGE G1 gun here at FEATURES>CGE2K2 MUSEUM

Edited by Rik