IGNORED

How to get the best picture on a LCD panel

AussieAtari

After using a dedicated CRT for our Wii over the last 6 months, we moved the console into the lounge room and hooked it up to our 40" LCD HDT TV.

Well, the picture is lousy compared to the CRT picture.

I have adjusted the screen settings both ways (standard and widescreen) and tried both refresh rates (50Hz & 60Hz, I am in PAL land here) and still the picture is not as clear as on the CRT.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best picutre on a LCD?

If your TV has component inputs, get a set of HD component cables for the Wii. It looks like crap warmed over on composite inputs into an HDTV. HDTV's exceptional clarity magnifies all the flaws in video sources.

With the component cables the Wii's graphical deficiencies will become far more pronounced, but at least everything won't look like a big smear. ;)

Edited by remowilliams

yea my co-worker has just bought an hdtv recently. he complained to me that his wii games looked horrible on it, and i told him to pick up some component cables ... next day he came in he said it looked MUCH better. so i second getting them.

and idk, i have a crt tv, and everything is very crisp. im sure hdtv looks better of course, but i have no burning desire to pay 1000 bucks for an hdtv when compaired to this. granted if i had a non-flat surfaced regular tv i woudlnt be able to stand that. i had the wii hooked up to that type of a tv in the living room at christmas... it wasnt very pretty.

Well, I've hooked it up and am still disappointed. The picture is very clear and sharp, perhaps too much so as now the images can be pixilated.

This appears to be most apparent in Sports where the Miis have very rough edges. Mind you, Pinball Classics which has some very detailed graphics looks quite good. Perhaps it is simply a matter of graphic detail in the software?

Anyway it is great to play tennis on the big screen and the Wii still rules, it's just a bit of a let down coming off the CRT which suited the consoles graphic output.

I was a little disappointed with the Wii's graphical output to my LCD panel (through component). Not great, especially when my Saturn (on the same TV, through an old S-Video lead) is pin sharp. Proper 480p supporting games come out pretty good though. There's a whole load of detail revealed in Excite Truck (I love the blizzards).

Well, I've hooked it up and am still disappointed. The picture is very clear and sharp, perhaps too much so as now the images can be pixilated.

This appears to be most apparent in Sports where the Miis have very rough edges. Mind you, Pinball Classics which has some very detailed graphics looks quite good. Perhaps it is simply a matter of graphic detail in the software?

Game art design can help hide that a bit if done correctly, but the Wii lacks the oomph for high res and antialiasing (gets rid of the jaggies).

Well, we've had piss poor low res NTSC hiding the flaws for lots of years. Now the free ride is over. :P