IGNORED

Opcode Games - We need some help!

Hello people!

I had the pleasure of meeting Eduardo Mello face to face last week-end, and you can read all about it (with pictures!) in my latest blog entry on our official web site.

Eduardo and I discussed several topics, one of which was the Opgrade Module, which has undergone certain design changes lately. I updated the section of our web site devoted to the OM to reflect those changes, but just in case you're not in the mood to read all that information, here's what you need to know in a nutshell: We decided to improve the design of the Opgrade Module by following an FPGA solution for the video chip and sound output hardware. This will allow us to create our own custom video chip, which will be much better than the V9958 video chip we were planning to use before.

We're pretty excited about this new OM design, but there's just one problem: The previous "incarnations" of the Opgrade Module involved purchasing existing parts and assembling them together to create the final product. This is still true for the latest revision of the OM, but Eduardo will also have to spend a lot of time and effort in terms of R&D, mostly to program the FPGA and designing the main PCB according to the FPGA chip that we will use. This could easely require months of work, and Opcode Games will likely not release any games during that period.

So then I came up with this idea: We have several games which are roughly 95% done, namely "Goonies", "Zanac", "Yie Ar Kung-Fu 2", "Knightmare" and "King's Valley". The only thing these games require to run properly on the ColecoVision is some extra RAM, so how about we release the 16K Memory Pack as a stand-alone product in early 2008? With the Memory Pack available for purchase, we could very easely release at least three of these aforementioned games with very little programming effort on Eduardo's part. So while I take care of releasing these games at regular intervals in 2008, Eduardo would be free to work on the Opgrade Module and its launch game (whatever that game turns out to be; we haven't decided yet) for a 2009 target release date.

Eduardo agreed to follow this plan, so we would like to get the ball rolling ASAP in order to release as many games as we can in 2008. The Memory Pack's electronics are very basic, so designing a PCB and finding all the required parts should be easy for us, but one BIG problem remains: The plastic casing. Producing a mold for a custom plastic shell can be quite expensive, so we're wondering how we can get this done at a reasonable price.

So this is where we're going to need some help. If you have experience with making custom plastic shells, or if you know people who can help us, please let us know by replying in this thread.

Thanks!

Eduardo agreed to follow this plan, so we would like to get the ball rolling ASAP in order to release as many games as we can in 2008. The Memory Pack's electronics are very basic, so designing a PCB and finding all the required parts should be easy for us, but one BIG problem remains: The plastic casing. Producing a mold for a custom plastic shell can be quite expensive, so we're wondering how we can get this done at a reasonable price.

So this is where we're going to need some help. If you have experience with making custom plastic shells, or if you know people who can help us, please let us know by replying in this thread.

Thanks!

The mould is expensive; Try to avoid making custom plastic shells for something that goes into the expension connector: There are not many ColecoVision users today, custom cases make sense only if you need a large number. Cartridge cases are a border case since one might sell multiple games in them to a single ColecoVision user.

I suggest you have a look at standard cases. There are companies like Hammond manufactoring that produce a wide variety of cases, both plastic and metal. If you only need a few hundred cases and find something that could be used for your project it will be cheaper.

Philipp

The mould is expensive; Try to avoid making custom plastic shells for something that goes into the expension connector: There are not many ColecoVision users today, custom cases make sense only if you need a large number. Cartridge cases are a border case since one might sell multiple games in them to a single ColecoVision user.

I suggest you have a look at standard cases. There are companies like Hammond manufactoring that produce a wide variety of cases, both plastic and metal. If you only need a few hundred cases and find something that could be used for your project it will be cheaper.

I spent a couple of hours looking at standard cases from a variety of online suppliers, and it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Either the available casing is not wide enough to house the PCB + edge connector, or the casing is too thick to fit inside the expansion port opening.

I had a look at the connector on the Expansion Module #1, and how it fits into the CV's expansion port, and it made me realize how specific the dimensions of the Memory Pack casing need to be, in direct relation to the edge connector. For one thing, the female edge connector (is that the correct term?) will have to extrude outside the cart or else it won't fit in, because of the two metal clamps that surround the edge connector inside the CV.

At the same time, the casing needs to be 3.718 inches wide and 0.875 inches thick in order to fit snugly into the rectangular opening of the CV expansion port (The last thing I want is for the casing to hang completely outside the CV's expansion port opening).

I attached the picture below to illustrate. I do believe I'll be hard-pressed to find a standard casing that will fit those parameters. Of course, if compatible metal clamps like those on the Expansion Module #1 were available, it may change the casing's design dramatically, but it may still need to be custom-made...

EDIT: BTW, if the female edge connector is glued to the edge of the Memory Pack's PCB, wouldn't some kind of reinforcement be necessary? The edge connector on the Expansion Module #1 seems built like a tank!

post-7743-1182456090_thumb.png

Edited by Pixelboy

Are there cartridge casings from another common system that could be used?

Hmmm... The closest fit would be Sega Genesis carts, or possibly Famicom carts, but I don't have any. Can anyone here verify if either of those cart types fit inside the CV expansion port, even partially? :)

I like the proposed design for the CV2 gamepads, including shoulder buttons for the Super Action Controller games. However, I'm not sure I like the placement of the speed roller. But then I'm not sure where else it could go as far as being useful without getting in the way of other controls.

How about a right-angle mount? If all you're adding is RAM, it should be just possible to fit the board on the edge connector with the expansion port door closed! Who needs to make a new case when you can use the case that's already there?

There's like 1/4" clearance in there, just enough room for a surface-mount 256Kbit SRAM and a couple of surface-mount TTL chips, if you can also find a surface-mount edge connector. If you can find a flat-pack GAL or have enough logic-fu, you could even map RAM into the full 24K hole.

And if there's not quite enough room, get a long-pin edge connector and have the board lie flat against the front of the console. You could even get creative with silkscreen on the "bottom" of the board.

Instead of creating a custom plastic shell, why not just dip the PCB in epoxy to seal and protect the electronics. I know this won't be an ideal solution for the perfectionist Opcode but it's dirt cheap, fast and easy.

Just make a proper size mold, spray it with Pam before every use, and this could work.

If there's one thing the ColecoVision could use, it's more CPU RAM.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

How about a right-angle mount? If all you're adding is RAM, it should be just possible to fit the board on the edge connector with the expansion port door closed! Who needs to make a new case when you can use the case that's already there?

There's like 1/4" clearance in there, just enough room for a surface-mount 256Kbit SRAM and a couple of surface-mount TTL chips, if you can also find a surface-mount edge connector. If you can find a flat-pack GAL or have enough logic-fu, you could even map RAM into the full 24K hole.

And if there's not quite enough room, get a long-pin edge connector and have the board lie flat against the front of the console. You could even get creative with silkscreen on the "bottom" of the board.

This is an interesting proposition, but since I'm no electronics expert by any means, I'm having some difficulty picturing the device as you describe it. Could you please draw up a diagram, real quick-and-dirty? If it's so small that it fits inside the CV behind the sliding door, and if the female edge connector is nested near the center of the custom PCB, then the 16K of RAM (as two 8K chips, as Eduardo once told me) would be pretty cramped for space, especially if there's some type of grip included to yank the device out of the expansion port when required...

Instead of creating a custom plastic shell, why not just dip the PCB in epoxy to seal and protect the electronics. I know this won't be an ideal solution for the perfectionist Opcode but it's dirt cheap, fast and easy.

Just make a proper size mold, spray it with Pam before every mold, and this could work.

If there's one thing the ColecoVision could use, it's more CPU RAM.

Agreed. :) However, I'm concerned about damage to the female edge connector after repeatedly taking the device in and out of the CV. I would like it to be, if not fool-proof, at least robust enough to withstand some abuse. (My concern for this comes from Eduardo's Opgrade Module prototype: When I disconnect the prototype from the CV, the female edge connector tends to detach itself from the prototype and it's a bitch to yank out when that happens. Of course, the edge connector is just connected, not soldered, so it's kind of normal that this should happen, but still, that's not something I would like to see happen with the "commercial-issue" Memory Pack.

I like the proposed design for the CV2 gamepads, including shoulder buttons for the Super Action Controller games. However, I'm not sure I like the placement of the speed roller. But then I'm not sure where else it could go as far as being useful without getting in the way of other controls.

Actually, I think it's a neat place to put the speed roller, because you can hold the controller in one hand (with the wire passing between the thumb and index fingers) and spin the roller with the other. This should work as long as you don't need to press a button while you're spinning the roller, which I know is not the case with Super Action Baseball. (Does Super Action Football use the spinner?)

• 2 weeks later...

I have look for some plasticbox for your expand for ColecoVision in the front.

A Internet search in location Denmark, gaves me no result for your mark.

There are companys, there can make it up for you in your right mark, but it cost...

If just you could made a casting in metal, so you could cast your boxes by yourself in black Pvc., but i do not know any...

I'm thinking about to take a black pvc plate, and cut it out in the right marks

-and then heat the ends up and melt the side together to each-other ?.

Then you will have a small case, simple to take off now and again with 2 or 3 fingers.

Sorry my english.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I find more info about these gamepads?

Where can I find more info about these gamepads?

He was referring to the (totally imaginary) CV2 console in my March 26th blog entry. Follow the link in my signature. :)

Well I know your looking for a quality way of making casing for your memory expansion cart BUT, a cheap and inexpensive way to do it (sans overal quality and durability of the mold) would be to cast it in plaster or silicon rubber for a makeshift mold. You'd need to create a prototype, casting wax would do the job or some plain clay (the stuff that doesn't need to be baked) really depends on the quality your looking for though. Hope you figure something out.

Well I know your looking for a quality way of making casing for your memory expansion cart BUT, a cheap and inexpensive way to do it (sans overal quality and durability of the mold) would be to cast it in plaster or silicon rubber for a makeshift mold. You'd need to create a prototype, casting wax would do the job or some plain clay (the stuff that doesn't need to be baked) really depends on the quality your looking for though. Hope you figure something out.

You could also take the approach that Eve Electronics took for the Adam stuff they made in the 80's. While it wasn't much to look at, it proved to be a function and not-horrid solution to expensive casing. They basically used generic project boxes to house things like their Voice Module (which plugged into the expansion port, but only worked on the Adam) with a slot cut out on the side and a male edge connector protruding. I know, male male is hard to connect... but Eve made it work... they had included a short (maybe 2 or 3 inch) ribbon cable with card edge connectors on each end that attached like an IDE cable would on a hard drive. Worked like a champ!

It was just pushed in to the expansion slot. Simple, functional. On the Adam, it was just long enough to allow the voice module to sit on top of the CPU case and the cable ran vertically to the expansion slot.

I'm sure there could be some creative design modification to help keep from having to fabricate custom parts. Maybe even a retractable cable type design, or at least extra space in the expansion device case for the cabel to be hidden and slide up next to the CV console?

Hi Pixelboy...

I think i found the site for you and OpCode.

I drop in on benheck.com and there was a link to...

-this site: http://www.polycase.com

Take a look on it, or give them a call.

Oh wow! Some of these enclosures are pretty interesting, although I'll have to validate the precise measurements.

Thanks for the link, ten-four! :D